13 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 10:50 AM by mountaingirlbl

Premiere Elements Jerky Video

Kuronoa

I just got Adobe Premiere Elements 7 today and I was very excited for it, my computer meets well over the requirements.  But when I tried to preview it I noticed nothing but horrible jerking, so I thought "Well it is alright if it is only the preview." So I saved my video and it jerked almost worse in the saved video playback.  What in the world is wrong, I am a teenager and can't just go blowing $99 on software that doesn't work.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, please tell us some things about your:

1.) System - meets specs, but please go into complete detail, especially about the hard drives in it (often an issue with playback)

2.) Assets - the files that you have Imported/Captured, that are jerky. More detail is better. For Imported files, see this ARTICLE. For Captured files, please be very specific about your camera, make/model, and how you connected it to do the Capture. More details are better.

3.) Project - when you chose Project New, you had to select Presets to start. What were they? Did they perfectly match your Assets? They need to.

With that info, we can likely help you more easily and get you to editing and producing quickly with good results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
            Kuronoa Level 1

Awesome, someone who can help.

#1: Compaq SR5613WM, 3 Gigs RAM, 320 Gig Hard drive (196 Gigs free), Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor  4400+ 2.30 Ghz.

#2: My Sony Cybershot shoots MPG Video, the videos themselves are not jerky.

#3: Didn't even think about that.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, step-by-step:

#1: Compaq SR5613WM, 3 Gigs RAM, 320 Gig Hard drive (196 Gigs free), Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor  4400+ 2.30 Ghz.

This is good. The one limitation, and it can definitely affect playback, is the single HDD. You are asking it to do a lot of things at once, but normally, this will only be a minor issue. You do have adequate free space, which is a plus. With out going too deeply into the single disc situation too much, I would suggest that you look in the FAQ section of this forum, over to the right of the main page. There are two sub-fora links there: FAQ's and Tips & Tricks. In the FAQ section, Steve Grisetti (MOD of the forum and also author of several great books on PrE) has some good suggestions for tuning one's system and also Vista. Those tips will help you get the most from your system. Doing Video editing is about the most taxing task that one can do on a computer. The "leaner, meaner and cleaner" the computer, the better the results and the editing experience. Take note of the things that Steve suggests to get the most from your rig when editing.

#2: My Sony Cybershot shoots MPG Video, the videos themselves are not jerky.

Not quite enough info yet. In the article that I linked to was another link for a freeware utility, G-Spot. It's great and necessary to have around. Get it, and install it. Launch it and open one of your MPEG files in it. In the article on "AVI's", I added a screen-cap to show where to look in G-Spot for much of the useful info. That can make a really big difference, especially the CODEC used by your camera. A CODEC is an instruction set that tells the device (your camera in this case) how to encode the data to create a file. It then does just the opposite on a computer - it tells it how to decode that file to get to the data. [Aside: a CODEC on one's computer will allow one to play the file. There is a big difference between playing and editing. Some CODEC's can not be used completely by an editing program. This is just a bit of info.]

#3: Didn't even think about that.

This is often overlooked, especially when one is starting with a new program and they are anxious to get to editing. As PrE7 does not come with a manual (though it does have the Help Files, F1), many do not realize the importance of this aspect. With the most rare of exceptions, one's Project Presets must match perfectly with their Assets. One can then edit, and if they want a different output, they do that with Export/Share.

The full answers to #2 will dictate what you choose for #3. That is why I suggest G-Spot to tell you all that you will need to know. The camera's manual may, or may not, go into enough detail. It would very likely that the mfgr's web site would NOT, as the specs. on those is always woefully lacking.

My guess is that with a few settings, you can get much better results. There might be some tweaks that you'll have to make, but we can cover those, when we get a bit further along the process.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] I forgot to add the word, "NOT," regarding the mfgr's Web site details - sorry.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added "NOT" about the Web site.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                Kuronoa Level 1

Ok Well I am reading that tuning guide.  Onto the CODEC thing, there is not a screencap on that AVI article, on G-Spot I got this though

The Audio -  MPEG-1 Layer 2, 0xc0:32000Hz  64 kb/s , Monophonic

Video - MPEG1

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                  Kodebuster Level 3

Did a quick check on Sony's website on the Cybershot, it lists the Movie Mode output as : 320(QVGA, 320 x 240, Approx.30fps).

Not sure what QVGA implies, but if it is Mpeg, it's probably some varient.

Best bet is to see if Prism will convert to DV-AVI Type 2.

Prism can be found here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Or at the same link you can try Windows Movie Maker.

DV-AVI will usually resolve a host of issues...

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, my bad. I did that article some time ago, and guess that I meant to attach the screen-cap but did not. I'll fix that in a moment. For you, here's the screen-cap:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

OK, from what you describe, you've got MPEG-1 material. That is pretty universal, however most NLE's (Non Linear Editors) have some problems with MPEG encoded footage. If you wish, I'll go into more detail on the "why" later.

Kodebuster has probably the best solution, in using a conversion utility to get your footage into the best possible form: DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I don't know if Prizm does "batch processing," or not. The conversion program that I do, does, so I can load it up with dozens of files and go do something else. In a bit, I have a folder of DV-AVI Type II's ready for Import.

Now, maybe someone else can help with the proper Preset to "test" your footage with. In PrPro (the NLE that I use), I can easily set to match your footage's specs, but I am not at all sure what recourse you might have with PrE7 there. Still, editing MPEG is not easy, with any NLE and the conversion route is perfect, with just one more step in the process.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of the G-Spot screen-cap. I'm off to fix that now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                      Kuronoa Level 1

I will try all of your tips and tricks.  Thank you for your help...if I continue to have issues I will come back fo rhelp. Thanks! - Kaze no Kuronoa

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Obviously, come back with problems and questions, but also come back with a report from the "trenches," as that will likely help others.

Many come to these fora and never post. They find problems similar to their's and then head off to fix things. That is one of the beauties of the Adobe fora. Please do report what works, and what does not. As none of us are sitting at your computer, we're only giving answers based on our experiences, or on those of others, about which we've read, or worked on. Your final resolution might differ, base on your system, your Assets, your Project and your workflow. Lot of variables there. You will definitely help someone else - I promise.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                          mountaingirlbl

I am jumping in here because I have a lot of the same issues. I am interested in learning more about not just using one hard drive, that is my next step is to try to save everything video related on an external. I am interested however in reading the info that mvp gave about Tips and Tricks and FAQ's but I haven't been able to find them. Can someone give more direction on finding them. Thanks

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                            mountaingirlbl Level 1

Woop! I just found it so thank you, you will definitely be hearing from me again!!!!!!!!!!  Wish one of you was right here in my office helping me through this big project, but I will have to settle for the on-line help, which I will be so very grateful. I don't have time to spell it all out right now, but I do have a large project that is now stopping and etc. I need to clean up and move things around. I just got more memory and that did not seem to help.  More later and thanks, thanks for being here!!! I am at a point that I don't know where to go for help.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mountaingirlbl

You have come to the right place for Premiere Elements help.

The answers will be in the details, starting with the version of Premiere Elements that you are working with and the computer operating system that it is running on. When you are ready, please start your own new thread with the details of your situation so that we can exchange troubleshooting information. We will stay with you all the way. Those many amazing details that we seek yield amazingly great troubleshooting results.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                                mountaingirlbl Level 1

What do you mean when you say the Preset and Assets must match perfectly?? I am bringing my Assets in as I go, is this way wrong?

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements Jerky Video
                                  mountaingirlbl Level 1

How do I start a thread?