6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 9:46 AM by Jacob Bugge

Shapes with curved sides

Karl- Level 1

I think I might be (hopefully) working too hard....

I know I can draw a triangle with the polygon tool. But I want the sides of my triangle to be curved (both concaved and convex). Is their an easy way to achieve this?  Or do I have to use the arc tool?  (I also need a pin cushion shape. So hopefully the same technique works with the rectangle tool too?)

(Or if I have to use the arc tool and draw individual lines, is there a tool in Photoshop or Fireworks that would make this easier?)

TIA.

• 1. Re: Shapes with curved sides
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Karl,

The pin cushion shape may be created using the Effect>Warp>Bulge with negative value, first horizontally then vertically, or in reverse order. Positive value for actual bulging.

Bulge does not work as nicely with a triangle. Maybe new options have emerged since 10.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shapes with curved sides
            Karl- Level 1

Found what I (at least) need....

Object -> Envelope Distort -> Make with Warp

• 3. Re: Shapes with curved sides
              PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

On the Triangle try the Warp>Inflate and use a neg. number.

• 4. Re: Shapes with curved sides

As far as I can see, all options result in different curvatures for horizontal/vertical and slanting sides, at least in 10, so that it will look funny for a triangle even if you use different valus for horizontal and vertical bend/whatever, including different curvatures at either end of slanting lines.

Has that changed?

• 5. Re: Shapes with curved sides
                  JETalmage Level 6

To find the centroid (geometric center) of a triangle (or any other path, for that matter):

1. Copy.

2. Paste In Front.

3. Object>Path>Average.

4. Snap a horizontal and a vertical Ruler Guide to the position of the points.

5. Delete.

6.Use the intersection of the two Guides as the center of scale transformations on the points and/or the handles (Object>Select>Handles).

Here's a method for making your bulging triangle using Transform Effect:

After step 7, an alternative way to join the figure into one path is: Expand Appearance, Ungroup, Divide Pathfinder. (The Pathfinder will stupidly remove the fill and stroke.)

JET

• 6. Re: Shapes with curved sides

James,

When will step 7 be released?

Edit: It appeared when I had posted, after being invisible. Strange.