1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 8:42 AM by Dr. Fred Mbogo

Distributing AIR Application

Natan Alves
      Helo.

I do part of a portal of tutorials related to Adobe products and i write tutorials to Flash and recently started to look on Adobe AIR and immediately wrote a tutorial on how to create applications in the Air Flash CS3. Now i am ending to write a tutorial showing how to create custom chromes using Flash and i want let a air file to the users download and install them on machines.

The question is, can i do this? Do i need make some register in some place or i can't let my files to be downloaded? I have read a page of terms and i do not know if I'm within those terms.

Other thing, how can i create that swf with a image of my application and a button to install my AIR file?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Distributing AIR Application
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          quote:

can i do this?
          I don't know if you can, but I can. So yes, maybe you can, too.

quote:

Do i need make some register in some place or i can't let my files to be downloaded?
          You don't need Adobe's permission to create or distribute an AIR application. Some Adobe components do get installed automatically by the AIR installer along with your program when you use the two main installation mechanisms, and these are covered under your license to use AIR.

The first supported installation mechanism is just running a .air file, which launches the AIR installer (if AIR is installed on that machine) and installs your program.

The second mechanism is the badge installer, which works from a web page in any browser that has a recent version of the Flash plugin. This option doesn't require AIR to be installed on the client computer first. It will download that if necessary, install it, and then download your AIR file and kick off the regular installation process. Just search for "badge" in the documentation to learn more.

The main thing you're not allowed to distribute without permission from Adobe is the AIR installer itself. You can get redistribution permission, but you do have to ask.

quote:

how can i create that swf with a image of my application and a button to install my AIR file?
          This is roughly what the badge installer does. Not exactly, but it's the same idea.