19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 6:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Got too many "newbic" questions

Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

I've just installed today a trial version of PrPro cs4 and got the following observations:

1. "conforming *.mpg". What does this mean? I didn't notice it in CS3. But whatever this is, the point is it takes too long to finish a 1+gb video.

2. The audio files that were normally playing in my cs3 projects do not play here.

3. I can't rename bins. Whenever I add one, it only gave me numbered names, i. e., bin1, bin2...

This is a forum here, yeah? And someone is expected not just to ask questions but to give answers, too. But for now I'm pleading understanding. I, myself, am hoping sooner or later I can help others solve the Pr problems too.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

As is clearly stated on the Adobe site, the trial does not support MPEG in any form, even MP3.

Renaming bins is easy. F1 will HELP.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
            Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Sorry, Harm. I must have browse the discussions in this forum first before I posted mine so that I am able to read the related discussion posted here. It was regarding someone having a problem opening his cs3 project in cs4 and with this "conforming" too. But in his post he did not mention he is using a trial version. The "conforming *.mpg" thing just went on to its endless loop according to him--and that it just went on even after he consumed a cup of coffee, as suggested by Hunt, as he waited for it to finish what it was doing. But I love your reply to that: "Finish your project in your old version".

Regarding this bin name thing, in cs3 I just click on the bin with the mouse's right button then click rename and there goes that edit box offering me a field where I can type the new name I want. In cs4, however, there's also a rename option in the popup menu that pops out when you right click the bin but after that nothing happens.

• 3. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
              Alan Craven Level 4

To rename your bins, double click on the name, this highlights the name and you can type in a new name.

The trouble with searching/browsing or whatever for someone who is not familar with a resource is that their unfamiliarity renders accurate searching very difficult.  I often feel that the "old-stagers" to whom it is all very familiar, might bear this in mind. If they did, the tone of the board would improve.

Another imporvement would be for those who ask for help to respond, indicating whethert the help offered solved the problem, and even perhaps adding a word of thanks.

I have ceased posting on more than one board because of this "atmosphere", not because any of the ripostes were directed at me personally.

• 4. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                Jim_Simon Level 8

To rename your bins, double click on the name

In CS4, only one left click on the bin name is required.

• 5. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

A single click on the name of the bin is sufficient to change it.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The trouble with searching/browsing or whatever for someone who is not familar with a resource is that their unfamiliarity renders accurate searching very difficult.  I often feel that the "old-stagers" to whom it is all very familiar, might bear this in mind. If they did, the tone of the board would improve.

I agree with you on several points.

The conventions used in PrPro are fairly common "industry standard," but there can be differences. What is called one thing in AVID, might have a different name in PrPro, though they serve the same industry. The manual (seems to be a thing of the past) and the Help files, F1, do a pretty good job of acquainting one with the terms, as they apply in PrPro. The use of those terms really helps others, familiar with PrPro, to pick up what the poster is asking for. It's then a lot easier to help.

Confusing terms like Effects with Transitions, can be a real problem. What does the poster really want info/instructions on?

Most people, who reply here, do try to offer up suggestions and corrections to the terms used. In the end, the OP learns these terms, so later questions are easier to define. I do wish there was an "Official Adobe PrPro Glossary," so all common terms could be defined. However, that manual (oh, I miss the books!) did a fair job, but the info was interspersed throughout.

Now, when it comes to searching the forum, one is faced with one of the clunkiest search engines, I have seen. They also have to weed through all sorts of incorrect terminology and titles that are just "Help!"

It is not so bad here, but I did an ARTICLE for the PrE forum, to help newer posters understand what will improve their posts and get help more quickly. Most will not read it, and then call me names for even suggesting that they do so. Oh well, it's their problem that needs fixing, and not mine...

Harm, and others, have done similar here, with maybe a little less "hand-holding," as the audience here is a bit more technically savy and advanced, than the folk just beginning to work with an Adobe NLE program - though not always.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS Jim Simon still has to correct me when I write "Fade-to-Black" (old cine term), as it is now "Dip-to-Black," in PrPro and most NLE's.

• 7. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                      Alan Craven Level 4

Thank you Jim.and Harm, for putting me right on that!  I was double clicking out of habit.  This should help reduce my carbon footprint.  My experiments showed me that if I create a succession of new bins, all those after the first appear with "Bin ff" already highlighted for renaming!

Hunt, it is not just the Adobe search function that is clunky.  Most things Adobe qualify forthat attribution.  I have spent the past two days re-installing from scratch a Windows XP system now that Matrox have produced a proper driver for PPro 4.1 to use with their "doorstop" (thank you, Harm, for that one!).  Anticipating problems with activation, I started out trying to de-activate Premiere on my desktop system.  Lo and behold, every attempt was refused  "De-activation Denied" I was informed "Error code 194.1".  An internet search revealed others with the same problem, some of whom had taken it up with Adobe, only to find that Adobe had no knopwledge of the error code.  As I had some editing to do, I tried to de-activate my legitimate second copy of PPro on my laptop, again "De-activation denied."  A couple of hours ago, in desperation after being nagged endlessly about running more than two copies, I tried again to de-activate my laptop.  15 seconds later it was de-activated.

I am all for anti-piracy strategies, but this is nothing of the kind.  This will drive people towards the cracker sites.  If software publishers want to indulge themselves in this sort of measure, then they owe it their legitimate customers to have a system that is not clunky and actually works.

Rant over!

I do feel better for that.  If only an Adobe suit would read this, and the multitude of similar posts around the net!

• 8. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

I've used Matrox and Canopus cards in the past and - this is purely a personal observation - I hated Matrox and loved Canopus, now Grass Valley. The DVRaptor and DVStorm were fabulous cards in their time and their current crop is equally good, if you like Edius. That however for me is the deal breaker. I don't like Edius. Some very good friends swear by it, but not me. Chances are very slim, but a combination of a HDStorm card with CS4 would be my ideal combo. And Grass Valley has done some great things in the past, so why could they not repeat that in the time to come? It only requires some collaboration between GV and Adobe. I would welcome that more than some Matrox initiative.

• 9. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

PS Jim Simon still has to correct me when I write "Fade-to-Black" (old cine term), as it is now "Dip-to-Black," in PrPro and most NLE's.

I'm a film guy myself.  Started with 8mm, then shortly went on to Super 8 for a few years.  You won't find me correcting that one.

• 10. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, here we depart ways. I've been using Adobe software, since PS 2.5 first hit the PC. I think my original S/N was 0003. I have owned most Adobe products and used many professionally. We're talking decades, and decades here. I have never had one issue with any Adobe software. Yes, I'd like for some of it to do something more, but that usually showed up in a version, or two. I have had only one installation problem in all these years. I upgraded from about AI 3 to AI 5 (give or take) and the S/N scheme had changed between mine, and the next. The internal database did not accept my S/N (probably about 0010). Five minutes on the phone to Adobe (including hold time), and they had my upgrade installing, and accepting my old-fashioned S/N. Not bad, considering all of the many Adobe programs that I have used and also own now.

If you are having all of these issues, I'd first suspect your system, and look there.

Good luck, but your experiences are the polar-opposites of mine.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                Alan Craven Level 4

Hunt,

I have been using Premiere for a decade now, and have always been happy with it.  I tried Edius a year ago, before upgrading from a Matrox RTX100, but like Harm, I did not take to it, so stuck with Premiere.

I decided to do a complete re-install, even though my system was running OK, when Matrox released the final V4.1 driver due to all the chopping and changing there had been with the various Adobe and Matrox CS4 patches.  The system still works fine after the re-install, except for this de-activation/activation problem, which I have never had before.

I expect that I shall get it sorted on the 'phone on Monday morning.

Apologies to the OP; I have lead the thread some way off the original subject.

• 14. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                  Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Thank you all guys for having patience in answering my queries. Actually, I no longer have to read, and you no longer have to "waste" time posting your replies on the thread I've created regardig Pr pro cs4 since I have already returned back working on cs3. One lesson I've learned though came from a friend who don't use Premiere, or don't do any video editting at all: "master first the current level you are in before going to the next level".

But the fact the there were somebody who spared their times accomodating me inspired me a lot to dig deeper from what I know at present.

• 15. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    The system still works fine after the re-install, except for this de-activation/activation problem, which I have never had before.

This does seem to be the "Season" for similar issues. Several Adobe fora have enough of these to make me think that something is happening. I have only had personal (OK, second-hand, but I was there) experience with this once and it was PS CS2. Assistant had installed, registered and Activated. It worked fine for a month at his place. He brought his laptop to my location, hooked into my wireless network and his PS was de-Activated. He re-Activated it and all was fine. Next time over, the same thing happened. He called Adobe and they stepped him through a couple of things to do. Do not recall the exact details, but every visit afterwards he stayed Activated.

Now, Activation has only been around since CS, so there is not THAT long a history for it. Still, for so many licensing and Activation issues to suddenly appear, looks odd to me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                      Alan Craven Level 4

I have never had a problem with CS2, and I still use Photoshop and Audition CS2, they both allowed de-activation this time around.  I have only used Premiere CS4 since the end of January and all has been well up until now.  I have used my laptop in two or three places and had no problems.  A net search led to the suggestion that there is a glitch in the Adobe system which cannot cope when there are two legitimate installations, but is OK when there are more than two, or just one.  This fits with my experience - while it was just desktop and laptop "De-activation denied error 194.1", but once I had shown them what they regarded as a third, with my new desktop installation, I could de-activate the laptop.  I have been using the desktop for much of today and never had a reminder about 29 days to go, so it is presumably now regarded as legitimate.

Controlling activation makes sense, but denying de-activation has to be a nonsense!

I will ring them Monday morning and try to get the oldest activation dropped, or perhaps better, all activations.  Next time I will not do it in the run up to a weekend!  I have my copy of Windows 7 pre-ordered too, so maybe more problems there!

Thanks for your help, Hunt.

• 17. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that de-Activation should go without a hitch. I've only had to do it a couple of times, and with earlier apps., so it's immaterial here.

Please let us know what Adobe says, in case others have the same issue later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                          Alan Craven Level 4

I have resolved my activation problem without having to ring Adobe.  As this is now far away from the OP's thread, I will post the story in a new thread.

• 19. Re: Got too many "newbic" questions
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Please do. With several similar threads on this, it would be great to have some solid info to point others to.

Thanks,

Hunt