9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Fill colour (colour) - how to change?

Haacko

I am producing a combination slide and movie DVD.  Many of the photos are too small (older ones).  I wish to remove the black panels on each side of the photo (being displayed 16:9) and replace them with say a blue of other colour of my choice.

Can someone please help?

Tony

• 1. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Put a colour matte on the track below it.  Just to top right of the Project media bin in EDIT is the New Item icon. Click on this and select Color Matte. Select the color you want and select OK. It will place the matte on track 1 and it will also appear in the media bin. You can then place your photo on track 2.

• 2. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
            Haacko Level 1

Paul have just tried it and it does what I wanted.

Many thanks,

Tony

• 3. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For a similar Project, I created an abstract of one of the larger horizontal images. I sized it to the Frame Size, with the correct PAR. In this case, I chose a landscape shot of a lake, with a boathouse, that was infront of the Summer home of the family. Since it ended up as an abstract and was mostly covered by each of the smaller (some vertical, some square and some horizontal), I opened the sequence with the original photograph and simulated sunrise on it. I then dissolved into the abstract version that would form the "background" for the rest of the show. I did this in stages, going to a high-contrast version and then on to a duo-tone (blues and blacks only), so the audience would recognize what the abstract image was, for nearly every scene in the production. This kept them from trying to "figure out" what the image was, so they could concentrate on the individual images being placed above it.

With a couple versions (in steps) and Cross-Dissolves, it was easy to animate and I felt that it was more aesthetically pleasing, than just a colored matte. If you have Photoshop, or PSElements, it's simple to accomplish and the little animation is fun (both for the editor/creator, as well as for the audience).

Just something to think about.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                Haacko Level 1

Hunt - sounds great - my experience is not great enogh to totally understand what you have done.  I am being somewhat "cheeky" in asking - but are you able to show me a short version of the what you have acheived?

I am past the beginner stage in both Elements 7 and Elements Premier 7 but so not know anyone in my town who uses the products.

Hope you can help.

Tony

• 5. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                  Haacko Level 1

Hunt - I have replied to the Forum.  I am keen to have a look at what you

have done if possible?  I do follow in principle with what you are

describing - but not enough to "pass go".

Hope you can help/show.

Kindest regards

Tony

• 6. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Per my comment in the Media Cache thread, I should have an example, with comments, ready by about Monday. I'll probably post it to Muvipix.com, as it might be useful to many there.

I'm finishing up a DVD-9 Project now, and trying to catch up to several Adobe fora, so it'll probably take a day, or two, to do it right and in a helpful manner.

Later,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the ARTICLE, posted to Muvipix. There is an FLV of the final at the end.

Hope that this gives you some ideas,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                        Haacko Level 1

Bill - very good.  Have replied in full on the Muvipix.

Tony

• 9. Re: Fill colour (colour) - how to change?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Glad that you got it. Thanks for pushing me to create it.

One comment: you might have noticed that I did not go into a lot of detail about the various "adjustments" that I made in PS. That was done with purpose. I treat each image as unique. What I "saw" in the boathouse image was for that image. Had it been, say the "fence" image, that appears as a "slide," all of the treatments would have been different.

I also like to imagine where I wish to end up with, for each image treated this way. I have some pretty good ideas of which adjustments, Filters, etc., that I will use. However, once I get into the process, those technical "ideas" take a backseat to what I am seeing in Photoshop. I keep my mind open for "happy accidents," and just let them happen. I also do not focus in on one particular adjustment, and try to force it. If I am not seeing what I am "dreaming," I try something else instead.

If I had given all of the details for each step, it would ONLY work for my vision and that image. I did not want others to feel they had to match any of my settings, or even the steps that I used. I wanted to get to more of the "why," than the "how." That is the one problem that I have with books, such as the Adobe Classroom in a Book series. They are great, do not get me wrong, but they focus on little more than the "how," and seldom cover the "why." I find it almost easier to figure our the "how," if I only know the "why." Prior to the writing of the CiaB for PrPro CS4, I corresponded with the author and shared that feeling. Curt did include more of the "why," in that edition.

I'd rather tell one the "why," and point them to the adjustments, letting them experiment with their image and achieve their result.

I'll check out your critique on Muvipix. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Hunt