3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 7:11 AM by paulgoelz

Slowest!! Forum EVER!!

Paul_LS Level 4

Is it just me or is it that every other day the forum responsiveness just grinds to a halt. Just been timing it... it is currently taking 45 seconds to respond when I hit the enter key. If it was once in a while I would not mind but it is every other day. Just about had enough of it...

• 1. Re: Slowest!! Forum EVER!!
          paulgoelz Level 1

No, it's not just you.  I mentioned it a couple months ago and most people said it worked fine for them.  Turns out it is very dependent (I think) on the browser and machine you are on.  Slower PCs using IE and/or intrusive antivirus software like McAfee or Norton can slow it to a crawl.  Why, I don't know.  But if you observe your CPU usage you will probbably find that it spikes even if you move your mouse inside the forum window.  On my work PC (2.6GHz P4 on XP Pro with McAfee and IE), the CPU goes to 100% whenever I do anything and like you, I can see 30-45 second page refreshes especially when posting.  My suspicion is that the page loads something active in Java and it is a CPU hog, but that is just a hunch.  Using Firefox, there is next to no delay and the forum is quite usable.

Bottom line is that at work, the forum is near unusable on IE.  Here at home on any of my PCs (2-3 GHz C2Duo / AVG / IE), there is a bit of a delay but not objectionable most of the time.

Paul

• 2. Re: Slowest!! Forum EVER!!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul_LS,

I feel your pain. Last night, it took me almost 45 mins. to get one post up. Now, part of that was getting logged-out twice and then a server hang, but gosh that's not fun. Luckily, I had saved my post to NotePad, so I only had to relink about six articles to finally get the post up.

It's not your ISP, or anything continental, so far as I can tell, because AZ/USA had the same issue. I think the Adobe's 40MB HDD must have gotten filled up.

This AM, things seem back to the way they were, but I'm still waiting...

Hunt

• 3. Re: Slowest!! Forum EVER!!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

I recall your mention of the CPU usage, when mousing on a page. It was then that I took notice too. I would assume that much has to do with the design of the site and the number of frames that it uses, especially on the main page,  as opposed to the editing page. Some times those suckas' take forever to populate and draw.

I'm on a Core2 Quad with DSL, but am running IE7 and do have Norton AV running, when I'm not editing, plus StopZilla. Though I am behind a hardware firewall, I do keep that stuff going, when I'm on-line. Other, similar forum sites (not using Jive) are just fine, and some are more intricate, than this one.

Oh well, at least they are not talking about redoing the forum, at least not that they have mentioned. Steve has just about gotten the FAQ's back up here.

Hunt