5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 9:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Removing a preset effect from video clip

rtk1958

Newbie here.

I applied a preset effect (R-L pan) to a clip in my video track that I now want to remove.  Removing an effect seems straightforward from the manual:

1. In the Timeline, select the clip containing the effect that you want to delete.
      2. In the Effects view, select the effect at the top of the panel, and then click the Trash bin

However, the preset effect is not shown next to the clip in the Effects view so I don't have the Trash bin to remove it.  The effects view shows the clip, just not the effect.

I've even tried replacing the clip with the original source clip, but that has no effect.  The now unwanted effect is still there.

Thanks,

Todd

• 1. Re: Removing a preset effect from video clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

I find the Effects Control Panel in PrE to be slightly counter intuitive. One needs to look to the bottom-left of that Panel and hit Edit Effects button to show all Effects. You will see the Fixed Effects, like Motion, Opacity and the Volume for Audio, plus any Effects that you have added.

This differs from how it's done in PrPro.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Note: the Fixed Effects cannot be removed, only Keyframed.

• 2. Re: Removing a preset effect from video clip
            rtk1958 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I tried the "Edit Effects", but it just lets you edit the effect, change effect parameters, disable elements of the effect, etc., but I believe the effect is still on the clip.  I want to remove the effect entirely, the same thing as clicking on the trash icon in the effects window next to the effect would do if it were displayed as shown in the manual.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Todd

• 3. Re: Removing a preset effect from video clip
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are two screen-caps showing the location of the Edit Effects button and the other with what one will see, once in Effects Edit Panel.

Effect_Control_01.jpg

Effect_Control_02.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Removing a preset effect from video clip
                rtk1958 Level 1

Ahh, I think I get it now.

The preset I applied changed only the "fixed effects" which the editor won't let me delete.  The fixed effects are the only things showing up in the editor for the clip in question.

I'm playing around now with using the editor and the timeline to re-adjust the "fixed" effects.  Just discovered how to set the yellow line through the video track in the timeline and utilize it to adjust opacity, scale, etc..

Did I mention I was a newbie?

Anyway, this is SO COOL!  I'm having a blast playing around with my first "music video".

Thanks,

Todd

• 5. Re: Removing a preset effect from video clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Did I mention I was a newbie?

Even with a degree in cinematoghraphy and work on an MFA in film, I was a newbie to Video - even after decades of film work. We all have to start some time.

Now, one thing to remember: PrE (and PrPro) are "non-destructive" editors. What I mean by that is that they do NOT alter your source footage. This can be a really good thing. If one gets into something too deeply for Ctrl-z (Undo), or the History Panel (in PrPro) to deal with, one can always just replace their altered Clip with the original from their Project Panel. All Effects and Presets then disappear. OK, they will have to reestablish their In & Out Points, but they have the unaltered Clip, just sitting there, ready to come to the rescue.

What appears on the Timeline is but an "instance" of that Asset. Actually, it does not even exist at all. It is a representation of a bunch of links and instructions in an XML datatbase - the Project's .PREL file, which contains no media at all.

Now, rereading your OP, I see that you used the correct term, Preset. I jumped to Effects right away, and by-passed the term Preset in my mind.

Besides Effects, there are Presets. What these do is just as you have found. Most will adjust the Fixed Effects, though some also add other Effects with predetermined settings.

I was only partially right with my reply. You did the detective work and got where you needed to go. You did all of the "heavy-lifting." Sorry that I did not focus on the word Preset in the beginning.

It sounds like you have a good start. Do not hesitate to come back with any more questions.

Good luck,

Hunt