20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 9:42 AM by Harm Millaard

CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview

Silver_Claw

Hi!

I recently have this issue. When i put my like any mp3 file into source preview window and try to find the right spot to crop it or just preview it the file starts to play smoothly but... it doesnt wont to stop! Like premiere stops responding. Sometimes when u try to hit radnom buttons or mouse it will stop. But mostly its Alt+crtl+del.

Using CS4 4.1 , win xp sp3 x32, matrox rtx2 le, geforce 8800gt, asus striker extreme mobo,

• 1. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Convert to WAV (outside of Premiere) since MP3 is really not suited to editing

• 2. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
            Silver_Claw Level 1

Yes i know that but - i was doing it for a year and it was OK. Recently ive changed XP from Pro to Home, and added Matrox RTX2 LE and it started. Plus the mp3 is working perfectly in timeline (editing, playing). It just crashing in SOURCE PREVIEW (default left window)

• 3. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              added Matrox RTX2 LE

Even more reason to convert MP3's to WAV. The Matrox card seems to seize control of playback with even the best Assets, and will not let PrPro stop. WAV might not get much better. If you have not updated your Matrox drivers, do so immediately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Hi Claw,

Bite the silver bullet if you use Matrox.

• 5. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                  Silver_Claw Level 1

Using newest beta drivers for matrox already. And yes i know matrox is very sloopy with drivers (they still havent newest ones for CS4.1). But i bought it with bundle with CS4. It was pointles for me to buy just CS4 from pure money thing.

So i udnerstand its matrox issue???

• 6. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd check the Matrox site again. Yes, there were betas, but several Matrox users claimed that Matrox had issued finalized CS4.1 drivers. Now, I have no direct knowledge of this, and the other users could be confused.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                      Silver_Claw Level 1

As said - using NEWEST beta drivers for cs4 4.1 but still... they are beta drivers .

I will try convert my files to WAV and see what happens

• 8. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Matrox cards are great as doorstoppers. I've used one for years and it never failed me for that purpose. But that is what they were designed for, I think. Just be sure to have the fan topside.

• 9. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

MP3 is really not suited to editing

That's not entirely accurate.  Unlike compressed video which is unsuitable for editing, as most MPEG variants are, Premiere converts such audio to uncompressed 32 bit floating point files for internal use.  So whenever you import an .mp3, you aren't actually hearing the .mp3, you're working with and hearing the Premiere converted file.  They should work just fine, and most do.

Having said that, for those problematic .mp3 files, conversion before import may just solve the problem.

• 10. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                            Silver_Claw Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Matrox cards are great as doorstoppers. I've used one for years and it never failed me for that purpose. But that is what they were designed for, I think. Just be sure to have the fan topside.

This is true, just by putting it into "wrong" PCIx16 made my PC having BSOD when i was plugging USB webcam :/

But with this mp3 its really weird, i was using those mp3 and it was good, now its problematic and im 90% it started with Matrox, but i woudlnt put my money on it. Will try with other mp3 or converting current ones and will report back.

• 11. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not to put words in John's mouth, but I would have said that MP3's were not "good" sources to edit. However, if one cannot go back to the uncompressed source material, I do agree that most will edit, for what they are worth.

I'm lucky in that I only have to use some of my SFX libraries in MP3. For those, I do not have "embeded album art," or similar, and to date, conversion has not been necessary.

I do not rip iTunes, or similar, so MP3 is only for "listening," if I can stand it...

Though editable, as stated, I personally hate MP3 compression and I'm old and nearly deaf.

Hunt

• 12. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                As said - using NEWEST beta drivers for cs4 4.1 but still... they are beta drivers

Well, then all I can say is that several of the Matrox users cannot be trusted, with their reports. Must be Canadians, or something?

Hunt

• 13. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some day I will learn to think twice before I post once (and will finally get over my Internet roots with a 300 baud modem where every word was costly)

Anyway... I have never had this problem, but I've read about it... so...

As others have said, most MP3's will actually work

However, SOME of them, during the creation process, have information entered into the file (header?) that causes problems... so converting those files to WAV outside Premiere will usually fix the problem

That is the same as I've seen here, that most JPG's work fine, but... again... some are created with information in the file (header?) that causes problems with Premiere... so the solution is to open in an actual photo program and save to a new name so the "bad" information is stripped away

Or (gee... I'm going to go over my word allocation for the day!) Premiere does not like DV AVI type 1 files, but they work just fine after running them through a converter to make them into DV AVI type 2 files

• 14. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As others have said, most MP3's will actually work

However, SOME of them, during the creation process, have information entered into the file (header?) that causes problems... so converting those files to WAV outside Premiere will usually fix the problem

I can not speak from a lot of direct personal experience with MP3's, as I do not often use them, as stated above. However, from experience with others' problems here, some can have issues. A normal thread on them goes like this:

OP - I have four MP3"s and three work fine. Why won't the other one work?

Forum - Convert that one "bad" one to .WAV and try again.

OP - That's just silly. I want them ALL to work.

Forum - Some do and some do not. What happened when you converted that one to .WAV?

OP - I have not. I just want this _______'ing software to work. I paid good $ for it and it's a piece-o______!"

Forum - Please try converting that one MP3 to .WAV and report back.

OP - Hey, it worked...

And so it goes.

As to your comment (John's) on JPEG, I find that PS is very critical of poorly formed JPEG headers. Many of my other programs open them fine, and a Save_As from them usually gets them open in PS. As I do not use JPEG in PrPro any more than I can help, I see few problems with files in that format in PrPro, more often in PS. Still, basically a "conversion" outside of PS usually fixes the issue.

OK, I need to put a few $'s in the kitty in the Lounge, 'cause I went over my limit too.

Hunt

Please Note: the reference to "OP" above has no tie to anyone in this thread. It is a ficticious composite of many threads from the past and none from this discussion.

• 15. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                      Silver_Claw Level 1

I've just put another music file, WAV for a change, and gues what ? On time line it works fine, on source preview window it locks the Premiere! Just like mp3....................

Am i doing smth wrong or its matrox and/or other thing!?

• 16. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I strongly suspect Matrox, see post #4.

• 17. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                          Silver_Claw Level 1

I suppose You can be right. So instead of burning my Matrox on a stack for a cleansing ritual is there any solution to this issue? Matrox have it's faults but still it makes my editing faster... well mostly of the time

BTW Harm, You are very active on this forum - You already helped me once... I'm counting on You!

• 18. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

SilverClaw,

I seem to recall some Audio issues being worked on w/ a Matrox card, in an earlier article. I looked for it, but could not find it, even with a Google search. While I read it, my not having a Matrox kept me from getting too deeply into it. I wish that I could find it, as there might be a resolution in it. Maybe you'll have more luck, than I did, or maybe your boolean is better than mine.

The article was in one of the PrPro (CS3, or CS4 until this week), and it was not THAT old - I'd say 1 mo. ago. I cannot even recall who the players were in the discussion, but it did go on for several replies and Matrox was traced to be the cause for the OP.

Good luck, and wish I could help more,

Hunt

• 19. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                              sync2rhythm Level 1

I do NOT have Matrox hardware and my PP CS4 will also 'Lock' or be 'Non-Responsive' as described. I'll hit keys for @ 5secs before PP CS4 responds or stops. This can be with either .mp3 or .wav and it seems really random but when it does it... it's frustrating.

• 20. Re: CS4 crash/unstable when doing mp3 preview
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Your system may not sync to the rythm.