6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 7:03 AM by the_wine_snob

System Requirements Question

Canada Mike

I am using Elements 7 for my video editing, and am thinking of upgrading my camcorder to HD to take advantage of Prel7's HD capability.

Question is, do I need to upgrade my computer too.

Currently, my desktop CPU has a dual core Pentium 2.8GB processor with 2GB RAM, running under Windows XP.

The suggested system requirements by Adobe for HD transfer and editing with Prel7 call for a 3GB processor speed and 2GB RAM.

I seem to have enough RAM, but can anyone tell me if the dual-core 2.8's will be enough to handle HD transfers and editing?

Thanks everyone.

Mike

• 1. Re: System Requirements Question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Much will depend on the exact flavor of HD that you want to do. It could also depend on your OS, as well.

With HD material, the load is first on the CPU (much more so with AVCHD material). There, a fast Quad-core is highly recommended.

Next, RAM is important, but is down the list a bit here. If you are on a 32-bit OS, I'd go ahead and fill it out to 4GB (knowing that you can't quite use it all).

This is the biggie. With some HD material, it is actually more important than the CPU. With other, it is right behind. The I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's! HD material relies heavily on fast transfer speeds for smooth playback. [AVCHD also relies on the CPU heavily for processing of the CODEC.] I strongly recommend that one has at least three physical (not partitions) HDD's, especially for HD material. Can you get by with less? Of course, but the editing ease and total experience will benefit from at least three HDD's. Allocate your C:\ to OS and programs only. Put all media Assets on D:\ and your Project and Scratch Disks on E:\. The D:\ drive's speed and controller speed will be the most critical. All HDD's should be 7200RPM and SATA II controllers will be best.

Sorry that I can not give you a concrete yes, or no, but only an "it depends."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: System Requirements Question
            Canada Mike Level 1

Wine Snob:

(Love that name.) Thank you for this. Very helpful.

Another question.

In the "share" menu on Elements 7 it gives me the option of burning my finished project to Blu Ray or DVD (I can also burn to a folder on my HDD). But I don't have a Blu Ray disk writer yet (v. expensive).

So if I burn a project shot on an HD camcorder on to a DVD disk will I be wasting my time? In other words, will it be the same video quality as if I had shot the footage on a regular DV camera?

I am told that DVD is simply 'standard definition video' and won't show the high def quality for which I bought the camcorder in the first place. But the (sales) person who told me that wasn't sure either.

I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks.

Mike

• 3. Re: System Requirements Question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I am not the best person to ask on this. I do not shoot HD and all of my and my clients' Projects are SD, going to DVD-Video.

Many have commented on HD to SD (DVD-Video), and most agree that PrPro (and PrE) are not the best to handle this transition. Here is an ARTICLE where Dan Isaacs lists his HD to SD workflow. He had one extensive tests, lists the 3rd party software and has even written scripts to automate some aspects.

Regardless of the workflow that you decide on for DVD-Video, I would look into burning a BD Folder, for later.

Just saw a Pioneer internal BD burner for US$159 at Fry's (Western US retailer). The prices are falling on both the burners and the media.

Good luck, and sorry that I cannot help more with your specific questions,

Hunt

• 4. Re: System Requirements Question
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Compliant video to produce a DVD (per Encore forum old message)
                NTSC: 720x480 or 720x486 (or 704x480) at 29.97 or 23.976 fps
                PAL: 720x576 (or 704x576) at 25 fps
                Encode audio to AC3 or PCM for best player compatibility

I don't do HD, but do know that it is both larger than 720x480 AND (I think) it has a greater bit depth for "deeper" colors

• 5. Re: System Requirements Question
                  Canada Mike Level 1

Many thanks to both Hunt and John for your replies. These are helpful.

I just had a happy discovery - and it raised another puzzle.

Bought the HD camcorder. Connected it to my desktop PC and found the transfer worked. I just made a test clip of 25 seconds but it came through beautifully and much better than the regular DV camera. That was good news.

When I burned the short project to a folder (DVD not Blu Ray) it reduced the video quality significantly - to what I had before on the previous camera. Didn't come out all that well on the HDTV we bought for Christmas.

The .VOB file it created was 24MB.

But I noticed in the Adobe folder under "My Documents" an .mpeg file with the same name and a size of 82MB. It produced the same beautiful quality (obviously a much bigger file) that I had seen while editing the project in Elements 7.

Obviously the smaller file was the one created when I saved the project to DVD. But the larger .mpeg file will not play on the HDTV.

So the good news is I can edit the HD video in Elements 7 without buying a new computer.

The bad news is I need to buy a blu ray burner to get the HD quality on my TV.

Hunt - you said I could burn the project to a blu ray folder "for later" - but I can't see that option in the "Share" menu. It doesn't give me an option to burn to a folder under Blu Ray, unlike under the DVD option. Am I missing that?

Thanks again.

Mike

• 6. Re: System Requirements Question
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Hunt - you said I could burn the project to a blu ray folder "for later" - but I can't see that option in the "Share" menu. It doesn't give me an option to burn to a folder under Blu Ray, unlike under the DVD option. Am I missing that?

Mike,

Unfortunately, I may have mispoken, regarding the capabilities of PrE to Burn to Folder for BD. I do not use PrE for my authoring, preferring to use Adobe Encore. I do seem to remember comments that PrE 7 cannot Burn to Folder for BD. I apologize for that. OTOH, one can Export from PrE and use a more powerful authoring program for the DVD/BD production. Adobe Encore is no longer available as a stand-alone, and is only bundled with CS3 & CS4 PrPro. However, Sony's DVD Architect gets some high marks for authoring. Steve Grisetti, MOD here and on Muvipix, has written a book about using DVD Architect. He would know of its capabilities regarding the ability to Burn to Folder for BD. As I only use Encore, I do not test a lot of other software, regardless of how good these might be.

Sorry that I confused Encore with PrE7. My bad.

As for the "quality loss" when down-rezing your HD material to SD - there are three things to think about:

1.) just the loss in resolution going to the smaller sized Project, i.e. from HD down to DVD-Video (big difference)

2.) the methods that Adobe NLE's use to down-rez - this is what Dan Isaac's article is all about *

3.) one's player's abilities and methods to then up-rez SD material to be viewed on an HD TV - can be big differences in the algorithms used by each player and player type.

Good luck, and thanks for both posting your findings and correcting me.

Hunt

*  This is not that much different than resizing stills in PS vs letting the NLE do it. There are many of the same types of considerations