8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 8:16 AM by Wolfgang359

After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)

Wolfgang359

Hello,

I use the german version of premiere cs3

My Harddisk with the projectfolders has a new drive letter. (yes it is necessary)

If I open the projects the mediafiles will not be found, although the relative path from all projectdatas is the same.

It is a problem to give all files a new reference (a new link) because I use XDCAM-EX media files and

all files are in a separate folder. (this is the standard for this format and premiere need this folderstructure for this mp4 files)

I have many projects and every project has hundreds of folders with mediafils.

It is not possibel to give them all a new reference, so that premiere can find them.

I have not changed the relative path of all files. Premiere must find them.

I work with audio and video programs a lot of years and all programs can find the datas if the relative structure of the project is unchanged.

I cannot believe that premiere cannot find the datas.

Therefore it will never be possible to reorganize the harddisks?

Please give me a help to my problem.

Thank you for all informations.

Wolfgang

• 1. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Very simple: Make sure in disk management that your external drive is given a fixed letter, for instance Q. Then when Pr opens it asks for the first file. Direct to this drive Q and the relevant directory and the file will be found, as well as all subsequent files.

• 2. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Therefore it will never be possible to reorganize the harddisks?

A good reason not to do so.

• 3. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
              Wolfgang359 Level 1

Jim,iIf you work with a lot of projects it is necessary to reorganzie the terabytes of datas. As I sayed, I work more than ten years with different audio and videoprograms and all can reference to a structure relative from the projectfile. This is very important. Otherwise you get a lot of chaos over the years.

• 4. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Otherwise you get a lot of chaos over the years.

That is completely dependant on your organizational skills.

• 5. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
                  Wolfgang359 Level 1

Harm,

thank you for your answer, but it did not work, because one mediafile is in its own folder.

If I make so as you described CS3 find all files which are in the same folder, but not the files which are in an other folder.

Here my structure of a project:

I:\VIDEODATA\Projects\Project207

In this folder are all datas and folders which belong to this project. (see the lines below)

The big structure of the Folder "Videofiles" is the problem, where I have to reference manually every file. A job for a whole day.

...\PremiereProject

...\PremiereProject\Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save

...\PremiereProject\Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files

...\PremiereProject\Encoded Files

...\PremiereProject\Media Cache Files

...\PremiereProject\Project207.prproj

...\Audio

...\Audio\Original.wav

...\Audio\Music.wav

...\Pictures

...\Pictures\Picture1.jpg

...\Pictures\Picture2.jpg

...\Videofiles

...\Videofiles\BPAV

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR\100_0001_01\100_0001_01.mp4

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR\100_0002_01\100_0002_01.mp4

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR\100_0003_01\100_0003_01.mp4

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR\100_0004_01\100_0004_01.mp4

and so on 400 files in 400 folders

...\Videofiles\BPAV\CLPR\100_0398_01\100_0398_01.mp4

I cannot copy this mp4 files in one folder, because in this folders are also metadatas which premiere needs.

If the structure of this HDCAM-EX files are not so as described above premiere cannot read the files.

But premiere can work with HDCAM-EX fine. I have no problems with this professional format.

My problem is only, that I want to switch the projectfolder with all datas to an other location.

I moved the Projects from J:\EX1 to I:\VIDEODATA

I dont touch the structure above this folder and all files are available.

All programs which I work (Liquid, Avid, Logic, Samplutide, etc.) find all files after moving the whole projectfolder.

I cannot believe that premiere cannot find the files if the structure is the same.

This will be one hour of softwaredevelopment and I save some days of stupid work.

(to reference each file manually, only because they are in separate folders)

If I searched in the web for a solution I read that many people have the same problem.

Adobe, can you hear us? Pleas give us a solution.

Thank you for all helpful informations.

Wolfgang

• 6. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
                    Wolfgang359 Level 1

>>> That is completely dependant on your organizational skills.

Yes Harm,

therefore I have all datas in a projectfolder and I move only the whole folder. (as I described above)

There are no files out of this project folder.

I think there is no better possibility.

Premiere wants all mediafiles in one folder.

Than I can reference one mediafile to this folder and all other files will be found.

But this is not possible with HDCAM-EX format.

Here you need one folder for one mp4-mediafile.

And so I cannot reference to one folder with all files.

Wolfgang

• 7. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

That is completely dependant on your organizational skills.

I have to agree with Harm on this one.  At any given time, I have 10 to 15 projects going on.  I organize them in such a way that I can work on them effectively without moving anything around.  And when a project is done, I archive and delete to clear up room.

Whether or not past policy has worked for audio programs, it doesn't seem to be well suited to Premiere.  Since we can't change the programming, we can only suggest a new policy.

Don't move things around.

• 8. Re: After change of projectpath the mediafiles not found (CS3)
                        Wolfgang359 Level 1

Yes our team knows, that it is possible to work with the restriction which premiere force.

But we dont want a discussion about out archivesystem which is very clean and elaborate more than 15 years..

What premiere wants is not user-friendly, if we have mandatory circumstances to move the complete project,

where (i repeat) all files are below one projectfolder. (this is no difficult task)

Premiere is the only program in my long years practice which bind me on this way.

The problem is, Premiere saves the absolut-path of the mediafiles.

It will be no problem to a programmer make an option to save the relative-path instead of the absolute path.

(or make a searchoption to search the file in the projectfolder automatically)

But I understand, it is not possible and we can not do what we need to do, we have to accept the restriction of premiere.

Thank you for all information.

Wolfgang