5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2009 10:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Media cache

Haacko Level 1

Can someone please help. My PC has two hard drives.  All of my scratch disks are set to "D".  The exception is the media cache which is set to "C".  I have started a project and keen to ensure that all my project and files are backed up correctly.

Questions

1) How do I change the Cache file back to "D"?  I have tried via the scratch disk menu

2) What is the purpose of the cache file?

3) Subject to 2), would it matter if it was deleted in the case of a hard disk failure?

Hope someone can help.

Tony

• 1. Re: Media cache
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Media Cache contains the "working files" of PrE. These files are not necessary for a backup, or similar. If Deleted, or lost, they will be regenerated, as is needed. Other than the time to regenerate them, there is nothing that is of any real use, except to PrE, while it works on a Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Media cache
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, I did not address one question: how do you set the Media Cache? Unless PrE 7.0 has changed things, its location is set from Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Media cache
              Haacko Level 1

Thanks Hunt - have you read my comments re used in Premier Elements?  I am

keen to see a sample of what you have achieved if okay?

Tony

• 4. Re: Media cache
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I did and am putting together the pieces to display what I am talking about. Now, I'm doing this around a big Project, plus my time on the fora, but should have something ready for early next week. Hope that it gives you some ideas. It's simple to do in PS and one just does a lot of Save_As files with Filters and modifications, and then just animate these in PrE (or PrPro in my case).

I'll respond in the other thread about Monday, or so.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Media cache
                  Haacko Level 1

Hunt - Many thanks - perfect timing. 

Regards

Tony