12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 4:36 AM by hneelu

CF8 Configure Return Type

Don Kerr

The Data Services wizard does not work for queries returned from a CFC in CF8.  Object is set, but it doesn't allow you to proceed with the wizard.  OK button never enables.  I see this is reported as a bug, but is there a workaround?  I cannot upgrade to CF9 yet.

Thanks,

Don

• 1. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
          Balaji Sridhar Level 2

Hi Don,

Can you point me to the exact bug number which you are talking about? 

I tried searching to the best of my knowledge but could not find

If possible can you send across your CFC's too so that we can take a look at it with CF8?

Thanks,

Balaji

• 2. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
            Don Kerr Level 3

This is the bug I found on the release notes wiki page

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-19721

Sounds very close, if not the same as my issue.

The attached CFCs loads into the Data Services panel just fine and I see all the services listed.  The two I tried were very basics ... getEvents() and getSponsors(), both return query results from the cfc.  Flash Builder sets the return type to "Object" when the cfc is imported ... but "Configure Return Type" doesn't enable the OK button in the wizard to proceed with generating the code. 

Typically, when I return a query results from a cfc I use it as an ArrayCollection inside flex when the event.result comes back.  What I was trying to do with the wizard was get the data service configured so I could bind it to a datagrid.

Side note:  The cfc works fine with the manual flex code I wrote myself... I was just hoping the wizard would have saved me the time.

If you find a workaround or if you find it was "user error" on my part, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr

Manager, Space City Adobe User Group

http://www.spacecityaug.com

• 3. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
              Don Kerr Level 3

The attached CFCs loads into the Data Services panel just fine and I see all the services listed.  The two I tried were very basics ... getEvents() and getSponsors(), both return query results from the cfc.  Flash Builder sets the return type to "Object" when the cfc is imported ... but "Configure Return Type" doesn't enable the OK button in the wizard to proceed with generating the code. 

Typically, when I return a query results from a cfc I use it as an ArrayCollection inside flex when the event.result comes back.  What I was trying to do with the wizard was get the data service configured so I could bind it to a datagrid.

Side note:  The cfc works fine with the manual flex code I wrote myself... I was just hoping the wizard would have saved me the time.

If you find a workaround or if you find it was "user error" on my part, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr

• 4. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                Don Kerr Level 3

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr

• 5. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                  Don Kerr Level 3

Sorry for the multiple posts ... it kept throwing an error and I thought it wasn't posting.  cfc had to be zipped first.

• 6. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                    hneelu Adobe Employee

Can you attach the database used?

• 7. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                      Don Kerr Level 3

Well ... it is a SQL Server database on my servers.  Are you asking for a backup of my database?

• 8. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                        Don Kerr Level 3

Attached is a zip containing two sqlserver scripts to create the two tables used in the cfc

• 9. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                          Don Kerr Level 3

here is the zip.

• 10. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                            hneelu Adobe Employee

Hi Don,

I am unable to reproduce it. Maybe I am missing something.
                            Attaching the cfc functions to invoke getEvents() function. Is the way you invoking it diffrent?

-Harpreet

• 11. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                              Don Kerr Level 3

Sorry so slow getting back to you.

Not sure what you are doing with the new cfc you created, but in the original cfc of mine, I'm just trying to use the flash builder Data Services wizard to configure the return type.  I just import my cfc into Flash builder and select getEvent() to config the return type.  I'm strictly working only inside Flash Builder.  There is no other coldfusion code/pages required.

I guess I'll have to try it again and record screen shots each step of the way but, it should be very easy to reproduce just by using the wizard.  I'll try to get to it soon, but I'm in the middle of a big project now.  Sorry.

Don

• 12. Re: CF8 Configure Return Type
                                hneelu Adobe Employee

Hi Don,

Can you share the cfc that you are using?

Also, when you do a Configure Return Type, what are you entering as custom data type?

Thanks

Harpreet