15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 1:15 PM by Scott Osborn

System Crash on HD Export

Scott Osborn

Hi,

Searched the forums (here and elsewhere) and couldn't find anyone else having this particular problem:  When I export to HD (to either MPEG2 or H.264)my system will crash and reboot.  (This isn't just AME crashing, it's the entire system.)

In the hopes that someone can spot what I'm doing wrong, here's the details:

1) Windows 64-bit Vista, Home Premium Version.  8 Gigs of RAM.  Hard drive space out the wazoo.  NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS w/ 640 MB of VRAM.

Running Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0.

2) Shot the video using a Sony HDR-V1U in HD. 

3) For the first pass, I digitized and editted the footage in SD (used the camera's downconverting mode).  Turned on "automatic scene detection" so that I didn't have one big file.

4) Editted all the footage from #3 until we were all happy.  Exports fine, to DVD, whatever.

5) Converted it to HD:  I logged all the times from the SD clips, then captured the tape again, this time in HD (turned off the camera's downconverting mode).  (ie., I now had duplicates of the SD clips in HD.)

6) Created a new sequence (HDV 1080 24p).  Copied all the SD clips from the final, editted SD timeline into the new sequence.  Saved the project with a new name (ie, tacked "HD" on the end).

7) Using the "replace footage" command, I replaced the captured SD clips with the captured HD clips.  As the clips were replaced, the timeline's SD clips were automatically replaced by the HD clips, saving us from having to recut everything in HD.

The rest is pretty straightforward:  Go to Export->Media...  Select either MPEG2 or H.264.  Start Media Exporter.  Start the encoding.  Wait a minute or two, boom.

A.  Has anyone else had this particular problem?  If so, how did you solve it?

B.  Looking over my hardware specs, is there anything that could lead to such a crash, ya think?  Notice that I don't have a RAID array:  Could this be the source of my problems?

C.  Looking over my methodology (ie., working in SD, then replacing the footage), is there anything there that could lead to such a crash?  Am I the only person who works this way?

In advance, thanks for the input.

Scott Osborn

• 1. Re: System Crash on HD Export
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

System shutdowns when rendering are usually hardware related.  Often

they are heat induced.  But even if it's not a case of just overheating,

you need to realize that rendering taxes your entire system to the

limit.  Any weak components or drivers will fail under these conditions

even though they may operate perfectly well for more ordinary tasks like

web surfing, email or office work.

To help troubleshoot, you need to stop the automatic restart of the

system so that you can see a screen that will enumerate the cause of the

failure.  To do that, go to Computer | System Properties | Advanced

System Settings.  Click on the Settings button under Startup and

Recovery. Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically Restart.

The next time you have a system failure, you'll be presented with a

screen that contains information about the failure.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: System Crash on HD Export
            Scott Osborn Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the input, I'm sure you're correct about this being hardware-related.  Now if I can just decipher the system logs, I'll know which module is the suspect.

Scott

• 3. Re: System Crash on HD Export

With a complete system shutdown and restart, you may not get any

information from the system logs because Windows wouldn't have a chance

to write to the log files.

Changing the system failure options as described is still your best bet.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Scott,

While I completely agree with Jeff on the hardware side of things, the second link in the link below is oriented to system crashes and BSOD situations. You could try some of the suggestions there.

Some suggestions

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You described your process... now describe your hardware... in DETAIL

Brand/Model computer and/or motherboard

Ditto for CPU... AND what is your cooling... stock, or replacement cooling tower

Ditto for case, including a list of all case fans

When was the last time you opened the case and blew out the dust bunnies?

When you go to the system monitor in control panel, what is your current CPU temp?

(note that you may need to search to find this information... may not be called "system monitor")

How is your case "set" and are any of the fan openings in any way blocked

Do you have a different power supply you may install as a test?

• 6. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Hard drive space out the wazoo.

Any good definitions of what this equates too?

• 7. Re: System Crash on HD Export

Hmm... I work at Washington State University, which is sometimes call "Wazoo" but I've never seen anything in any of the WSU publications about how that would equate to anything involving a computer

• 8. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                        Scott Osborn Level 1

Bill & John,

> Any good definitions of what this ["out the wazoo"] equates too?

Sorry for the confusion.  This is a highly technical term for "a large amount".  <G>

[And, FWIW, in this case the project (and render-to) drive is 465 gigs, with 157 gigs free.  The root drive has 225 gigs free.]

Scott

• 9. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                          Scott Osborn Level 1

Jeff,

1) As it turns out, Windows did manage to log a Premiere crash event.  It's unclear from it, though, what the offending module is.

> Changing the system failure options as described is still your best bet.

2) Yes.  I tried this and now when it crashes, the screen goes black, with a blinking cursor.  <Sigh>

After some testing, I've eliminated the hard drive and am narrowing my focus to:

1) Bad memory chip or

2) Ancient sound card

Thanks again for the input!

Scott

• 10. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                            Scott Osborn Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the link.  I'm walking through the details at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405950.html right now, hoping for the best.

Scott

• 11. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                              Scott Osborn Level 1

John,

> Brand/Model computer and/or motherboard

ZT brand, the motherboard is unknown (though it's been replaced).

> Ditto for CPU...

AMD phenom 9500 quad core

> AND what is your cooling... stock, or replacement cooling tower

> Ditto for case, including a list of all case fans

Couldn't tell you.

> When was the last time you opened the case and blew out the dust bunnies?

About 2 months ago.

> When you go to the system monitor in control panel, what is your current CPU temp?

Hmm.  Couldn't find this.

> How is your case "set" and are any of the fan openings in any way blocked

Could be wrong, obviously, but I don't think this is a heating issue:  I got these same symptoms after it cooled all night.

> Do you have a different power supply you may install as a test?

Huh.  I had to replace the one that it (the PC) came with when I upgraded to the NVidia card.  So, no, I don't have a different power supply.  But I'll put that on my "test for this" list...

Thanks,

Scott

• 12. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                                Scott Osborn Level 1

[Meant to come back sooner and report these findings for posterity...]

Turns out that Jeff was correct when he said:

"System shutdowns when rendering are usually hardware related."

I had an old (7+ years) Audigy soundcard that Vista complained about when I installed it.  Replaced it with a near-new X-Fi and have been rendering without difficulties since.

Again, thanks to all the helpful souls who chimed in!

Scott

• 13. Re: System Crash on HD Export

And thank you for posting back with your solution.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: System Crash on HD Export
                                    Scott Osborn Level 1

[Just when you thought it was fixed...]

Last time I posted in this forum, I identified the aged Audigy sound card as the culprit.  After a couple of months, BLAM, the same system-reboots-when-rendering-HD problem reappeared.  

The other hypothesis offered in this forum was overheating.  So, disgusted, I installed SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) and sure enough, my CPU was operating in the Red Flames of Death zone.  3 Zalman case fans and a new CPU heatsink later, and we're running in the green, and no, NO system-rebooting problems.  Been verifying this over the last month, so Yep, overheating was the problem, case fans and heatsink were the solution.

Thanks again for all the help!

Scott

• 15. Re: System Crash on HD Export

I had a CPU fan fail once... and my system would only run for 5-6 minutes before it would die

New fan and it's been working ever since... and video rendering STILL makes all the variable speed fans run at top speed