5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 11:08 PM by Mylenium

How can i reduce the noise on this video?

JamesMediaMan Level 1

I have used Keylight to key some chromokey footage onto a white background.

However, I still have a lot of noise on the video, by this I mean fuzzyness, instead of good rich colors - you can see for yourself if you download a sample of the file which I have linked to here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmBGI-JUMk

Obviously the actual file has proper dimensions unlike the YouTube example! This example also doesn't show the noise quite as well as the actual Flash file, it's a little more intense than it looks here.

How can I make the video fuller in color, to reduce the noise....?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How can i reduce the noise on this video?
          yenaphe Level 4

can't seen anything on the youtube video. COuld you post a jpg at the good dimensions of your comp, using the camera icon ?

• 2. Re: How can i reduce the noise on this video?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I recommend you show us the video in the context of your page. Since YouTube does its own recoding, it's impossible to tell intentioanl settings apart from potential errors. As Seb said, a JPG of the full movie after keying would also help. Sounds very much like you simply need to tweak keylight#s Despot and Rollback options (again).

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How can i reduce the noise on this video?
              JamesMediaMan Level 1

I can't show it to you in the context of the webpage sadly as it's for a client website which isn't built yet! However, I have put the file for download here (click the orange button!):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ya2jog       It'sonly a few seconds as an example.

I have put both the despots and rollback up but still no luck sadly. Any suggestions on correcting the noise, and generally making it a better key?

Also, one of these videos totals around 90 seconds, and a 16MB flash file. How can I make it smaller? My current settings are FLV, web small with a Sorenson Spark codec.

Thanks again guys for your time.

James.

• 4. Re: How can i reduce the noise on this video?
                yenaphe Level 4

I see better what you mean.

First of all, i'll start by doing a tight garbage matte(great tut from aharon rabinowitz on creative cow) , and then i'll key the resulting edges.

If you still have noise due to the spill supression or from the key itself, i'll do a third matte on the body itself, and i'd adjust the edge color with hue/saturation

• 5. Re: How can i reduce the noise on this video?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The noise looks like genuine camera noise from poor lighting with ramped up sensor sensitivity. Therefore, as a start, I'd run the clip through a pre-comp and use the Remove Grain effect or tools like RevisionFX' DE:Noise, Red Giant's Key Correct Pro and so on. If it's DV/ HDV or similar, some de-blocking by ways of similar tools is also recommended. This should already improve matters notably. Then, as Sébastien said, study the super tight junk matte tutorial and apply the technique to your footage. The less pixels to key, the more efficiently the keyer can expand its range on the remaining ones. If you then still experience jaggy/ noisy edges a second application of the aforementioend plug-ins might do the trick. Other options include tools like Twixtor, SmoothKit, RSMB, RE:Fill etc. to mend holes and smear gaps. also, since the person is wearing dar clothes, the old trick of using a dark Inner Glow might also be applicable.

Mylenium