8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 2:51 AM by orlisawyer

Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.5.8

Jim Nachbar

I have just installed an HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g printer.  It prints from every program I have tested, including Safari, Pages, and TextMate.  However, it does not print from Adobe Reader 9.1.3

I am running the most current version of Leopard, have run Software Update and updated everything, and have run Check for Updates in Adobe Reader (it reports that there are no  updates available)

I turned on debugging through cups ( http://localhost:631 ) and get the message:

E [09/Aug/2009:09:05:12 -0700] [Job 14] pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13
      D [09/Aug/2009:09:05:12 -0700] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
      E [09/Aug/2009:09:05:12 -0700] PID 669 (/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopdffilter) stopped with status 1!

E [09/Aug/2009:09:05:15 -0700] [Job 14] can't open `/private/var/spool/cups/tmp/4a7ef3ba9b679'.
      E [09/Aug/2009:09:05:17 -0700] [Job 14] Opening Printer Connection Failed: Unable to open the printer connection. Please check your printer connections and check for printer errors.

I am connected via wireless to the router, and then wireless from the router to the printer.  Again, every other program prints without problem, so it is not a connection problem

I had seen a post about problems printing with Reader that suggested opening the Preview mode, and then printing from that, but when I click the Preview button, I get the message "Preview is not supported".
      My workaround (other than not using Reader!) is to click Print, then open the expanded Print Dialog (click on the little down arrow), click on Advanced..., then select "Print as image".  When I do that, it prints without problem.
      James Nachbar
      [url deleted by host]
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.5.8
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try resetting the printer subsystem and re-installing the printer.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.5.8
            Jim Nachbar Level 1

That seemed extreme; The support.apple.com calls resetting the printer system a "last resort", and, as I mentioned, everything worked except Adobe Reader.  Nonetheless, I did it, and reinstalled the HP Print Driver from the CD-ROM.

Exactly the same result -- I can print from anything except Adobe Reader, and I can print from Adobe Reader by using the Print As Image option.

So, that didn't work.  Thanks for trying.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.5.8
              Jim Nachbar Level 1

To clarify my previous post, I had already seen http://forums.adobe.com/message/1770581 .  I mentioned in my post that I get the message "Preview not supported" when I click the Preview button from the print dialog in Adobe Reader, and thus concluded that the "Preview" workaround discussed in that thread wasn't helping me.

However, re-reading that post, they were talking about using the Mac "Preview" application to print the pdf file.  Like every other application (other than Reader) I have tried, the Mac's Preview application prints just fine, and is another workaround.

The only program that doesn't print for me is Adobe Reader.

BTW, I also have an Intel chip in my MacBook Pro.

Re-installing Leopard, as suggested by one post in that thread, is not a reasonable option for this problem.

In fact, since Preview allows me to view and print .pdf's , my solution is probably just going to be not to use Adobe Reader.  In fact, had I not been new to the Mac, I would have known that I didn't need Adobe Reader at all.

However, I'm glad this happened, in the sense that I use CS3 on the PC, and had considered moving to CS4 on the Mac.  However, since Adobe apparently hasn't figured out how to get printing to work on a Mac from their flagship product (!), I will be sure to do a lot of testing of CS4 before considering buying the upgrade.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.6.1
                brentcohen

I am experiencing the exact same behavior as reported in this thread. Mac's Preview program -- and all other programs for that matter -- print just fine. Only my version of Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 fails. Has anyone found a solution?

I have reset my printing subsystem AND removed and then reinstalled Acrobat Pro. Still no go.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

- Brent

MacBook Pro 15"

2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard)

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.6.1
                  masteratrus

So I finally found a way to get this to print ... I have changed under "print" then "advanced" and then changed "Font & Resource Policy" to "send for each page" and it worked! 

Hope that helps!

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.6.1
                    gartzt

I was having the same exact issue described in this thread but using Adobe 9.4.1 on Mac 10.6.5.   When I went into Advanced, 'Send for each Page' was already greyed out and selected, so the above advice wouldn't work.... but when I selected 'Print as Image', it finally worked.   Unfortunately that's not a feature that sticks, so you need to do that every time you print.

Using the 'Preview' App worked as well, so we have a few work arounds.  The funny thing is on my other computer (this problem was on my wife's computer), I don't have this problem - same hardware, same software.  and I can print from PDF's just fine without the 'Image' thing....

This thread helped me, hope my post helps someone else.

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.6.1
                      orlisawyer

This option worked for me. I needed to print out a pattern that is protected and I could only do it using Adobe, so using another PDF viewer was not an option.  I am delighted that this work-around was sucessful. Thanks!!

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac 10.6.1
                        orlisawyer Level 1

Sorry for not being more specific. By "this option" I mean the one posted by @masteratrus.