6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 3:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Working with Canon MJPG

Justjeffindc

OK, sportsfans - I have a bunch of AVI movies shot on a Canon G9 using 1024x768 resolution and 15fps. I am rotating these 90 degrees and so far have had no trouble doing so, however it didn't take long to notice that PE 7 is clipping/resizing the output.

I would like the final output (whether shared or exported) to be 768x1024 or something that scales to a 3:4 aspect ratio. But when I rotate, PE keeps trying to redo the ratio. Any suggestions? I'm starting to suspect my chances of doing this approaches my chances with Heidi Klum ...

And while we're on the topic of far-fetched ideas, suppose I do get a rotated version. Would a standard Windows XP user be able to play back the 3:4 file?

• 1. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow one to establish "custom" Presets, like PrPro with the Desktop Preset, that has editable elements in it.

What Preset are you using?

What MJPEG CODEC do you have installed? G-Spot will tell you, if you just drag one of your MJPEG files to it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS there have been now two recent posts on Rotating Video. Other than Titles and some PiP instances, I cannot recall one other such topic in ten years. Must be a new thing?

• 2. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I also strongly recommend you use another program to convert those MJPEGS to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements. MJPEGs are notoriously problematic for the program.

You can convert MJPEGs to DV-AVIs with Windows MovieMaker, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
              Justjeffindc Level 1

A Gspot screenshot is attached.

Sorry for all the rotating questions - I'm genuinely puzzled though. From a larger perspective, in the still photography world photographers will sometimes rotate their cameras for whatever reason, usually for composition. Rotating back is simply normal. Maybe I'm just a n00b but don't videos get done this way too to be rotated later? If not, why not? I must be missing something here - why would videos not get taken this way fairly frequently?

• 4. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. I was hoping to see which MJPEG CODEC you have installed in that upper-right window. The CODEC's tab in G-Spot should give that data. I need to point out that G-Spot (and Sherlock the CODEC Detective) will give false-positives on the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. Do not worry about those. Adobe just uses a different naming convention and some utilities do not know how to handle that.

Now, the reason that I asked about the MJPEG CODEC is because they are not all "created equal." While most of my data comes from PrPro users, all have reported great results with the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC, and all but one user has done so with the Morgan MJPEG CODEC. Some other MJPEG CODEC's have led to problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
                  Justjeffindc Level 1

Yes, I used the Morgan codec based on advice you gave on an unrelated question from someone else. Now that I have it, can I get the desired aspect ratio with the desired rotation?

• 6. Re: Working with Canon MJPG
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a question that I cannot answer. I have only used Rotation for Titles and graphics, never for Video, especially MJPEG's.

As mentioned above, PrPro does have the ability to establish non-standard Frame Sizes, and the like, but PrE is limited in that respect.

You are breaking new ground for me, so I will watch for your report on how well this works out for you. Sorry that I have no advice on how best to handle this.

Good luck,

Hunt