5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 2:59 PM by Eph Angel

Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined

Eph Angel

I have two gradient meshes that are adjacent to each other, sharing a single border in the middle.  The goal is simply to make them look as if they were a single mesh, or for the purposes of this work, a single, continuous texture.

Depending on the level of zoom, preview mode displays a glaring white gap between where the meshes meet.  Seeing as how the borders overlap, I cannot understand why this is here, and why it sometimes goes away depending on the level of zoom.  I cannot afford to have this gap displayed at any level of zoom for the final version of this work.  I will be exporting this .AI file to .PDF.

It's a white gap because white it he color of my artboard "background."  If I stick an actual shape behind both meshes where they are supposed to overlap, for example in black, then the gap becomes black.  It appears that whatever is behind the meshes at the point where they are supposed to join shows through.

I have zoomed in to 6400% to confim that the borders (and handles) of both meshes where they join are PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.  I should also note that the anchor points on the ends of each gradient mesh where they overlap are EXACTLY in the same position and are EXACTLY the same color.

Attachment1- Two gradient meshes in preview mode, with the glaring white gap where their borders overlap.

Attachment2- Same but in outline mode

Attachment3- Same as Attachment1 but with both meshes directly selected

Attachment4- Same location, but zoomed into 6400%- The white gap is gone!

http://img529.imageshack.us/i/attach4.jpg/

Will the gap show up in my .PDF doc at any point?  Can I fix this without redunantly overlapping gradient mesh points one column further in?  Thoughts?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's an option in Illustrators general preferences, causing a smooth display of graphics (it's in the left column). Turn it off - is the gap still there?

• 2. Re: Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined
            Eph Angel Level 1

I disabled Anti-Aliased Artwork in the General settings and there are absolutely NO gaps anymore.  Thank you for this.

However (I just realized I should have given Helpful points instead of Correct points b/c I have followup questions), the document clearly looks better with anti-aliasing enabled in every way except the gaps.  And it's how this will transfer to .pdf that concerns me.

Does changing the AA setting in Illustrator effect how it will be exported to PDF?  I.E will it be exported without AA now?

Furthermore, I know Adobe Reader has some settings that allow you to enable or disable Smooth Line Art and Smooth Images.  I very much hope that I can enable Smooth Line Art in Adobe Reader and NOT have the gaps show.  If the AA behavior in Illustrator (CS4, btw, I forgot to mention that important point) corresponds to the Smooth Line Art behavior in Adobe Reader, I may be screwed. 

• 3. Re: Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined
              Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This preference setting just changes the display of objects.

When it's turned on, Illustrator anti-aliases every vector object, (sometimes) ignoring where objects join. Turning the setting of allows for a more exact view of objects' borders and positioning (so you can check if they really meet), but of course it's less pretty.

Acrobat has a corresponding setting. What will happen with gradients in print production depends on other settings (in various concerned printer drivers, RIP etc.).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined
                [scott] Level 6

I never line up mesh edges. I always overlap them a bit.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Gradient Meshes sharing same border display gaps where joined
                  Eph Angel Level 1

Yeah, after experimenting, if I overlap one of the meshes onto the other (more than just the border on the border), I can get the meshes to match pretty well by just adjusting the length of the vertical handles on the mesh that is being overlapped.  I will have to redo all my mesh 'seams' this way, but at least I won't have to add any new mesh points as I was originally worried about.

The only reason I insisted on getting rid of the gaps while leaving everything else the same is b/c my old method (almost) allowed for quatifiable data matching of the two meshes.  That is to say, so long as I put adacent mesh border points in the same place, with the same color, and the same length and direction of handles, I knew that things matched up (save for the gap).  Oh well, it wasn't really quatifiable anyways, because AFAIK you can't enter exact coords for gradient mesh points, let alone any numberical data for the length of the handles (if this ever going to be possible?).  I was eyeballing those anyways.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

I noticed the same problem with AA enabled when two basic shapes shared the same border.  Overlapping basic shapes via layer order was simpler, so I had already done that to prevent the gap from displayings.  It turns out that overlapping gradient meshes isn't that much more difficult.