15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2009 4:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)

Psythik

Firstly and most importantly, how do I get my video to fit in the program pane?  Every time a new clip plays, the damn thing keeps resizing the video to 100% and I have to manually shrink it down.  Problem is, when I do this the video plays back at less than 1FPS.  Here's a pic:

http://imgur.com/17JYk.jpg

I'm not having any problems with the Source pane--clips scale properly and playback at 24FPS.

Secondly, how do I change my default scratch disk location?  It keeps using C:\Users\Psythik\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0 (a 40GB SSD that fills up fast when running Premiere), even though I told the project to use one of my other drives (which has almost a TB of empty storage to play with).

Lastly, why does my project take forever to load?  Granted, I'm working with about 40GB of AVCHD video here, but it shouldn't take five minutes to load a single project.  I don't have a top-of-the-line PC, but it isn't crap either (Core 2 Duo @ 3.8GHz, 4GB DDR2, HD 4850, Win7 x64 RTM).

Help!

• 1. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you selected a project preset that matches your source video it hould play at the native size and fit properly without scaling.   Do you not want your video to play at 100%?

In your preferences you can set the scratch disks to whatever you want.  Many choose "same as project" so all assetts are in the same folder.  This should not be on your program disk.

AVCHD is a pig to edit.   You need a super fast computer to properly edit AVCHD video.

• 2. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
            Psythik Level 1

Ok, after playing around, I found Window > Workspace > Reset Current Workplace..., but all that did is resize the workplace frame itself, not the video...

• 3. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Psythik wrote:

Ok, after playing around, I found Window > Workspace > Reset Current Workplace..., but all that did is resize the workplace frame itself, not the video...

Correct.

Post your screen shot again; but this time make sure the Info panel and Effect Controls panels are showing AND that the clip being shown in the program panel is selcted.

• 4. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                Psythik Level 1
                If you selected a project preset that matches your source video it hould play at the native size and fit properly without scaling.   Do you not want your video to play at 100%?

No, I don't, not when I'm previewing the project at least.  I don't want to have to maximize the frame every time I want to see my project progress.

In your preferences you can set the scratch disks to whatever you want.

I already tried that, I'm not an idiot.

Many choose "same as project" so all assetts are in the same folder.  This should not be on your program disk.

Ok, let me describe it better:

My OS is on C:\

Premiere Pro CS4 is on D:\

My Video files are on D:\

I want my scratch disk to be on E:\ (not same as project), but it's on C:\ instead.

AVCHD is a pig to edit.   You need a super fast computer to properly edit AVCHD video.

I've had no problems editing it in the past.  It was playing back just fine until those resising boxes showed up and started zooming it in out of the frame.    

• 5. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                  Psythik Level 1
                  Post your screen shot again; but this time make sure the Info panel and Effect Controls panels are showing AND that the clip being shown in the program panel is selcted.

Here ya go:

http://imgur.com/fwMjt.jpg

And here's a screenshot that better shows my problem:

http://imgur.com/dA1cA.jpg

• 6. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Psythik wrote:

If you selected a project preset that matches your source video it
                    hould play at the native size and fit properly without scaling.   Do
                    you not want your video to play at 100%?

No, I don't, not when I'm previewing the project at least.  I don't want to have to maximize the frame every time I want to see my project progress.

Im not sure what you mean by this.  My guess is your project preset doesnt match your source material and that you have auto scaling on .  (which would cause every frame to render) From your explanation I cant tell what you want.     If eveything matched, your timeline would not be red; unless you have efects applaied to every clip.

What project preset are you using?

• 7. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      how do I get my video to fit in the program pane?

Make sure your sequence settings match your media.  In this case, my guess would be your working with 1080 media in a 720 preset, thus forcing the resize to see the whole clip.  Create a new sequence with the correct settings and just Cut/Copy the clips over to that.

how do I change my default scratch disk location?

Which ones?  There are several that are project settings, and a couple that are global settings.

why does my project take forever to load?

The 4.1 update has greatly decreased load times.  Have you updated yet?

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                        Psythik Level 1

Curt Wrigley wrote:

Psythik wrote:

Im not sure what you mean by this. My guess is your project preset doesnt match your source material and that you have auto scaling on .  (which would cause every frame to render) From your explanation I cant tell what you want

Take a look at the second screenshot in my last post.  That screenshot describes what I mean.

If eveything matched, your timeline would not be red; unless you have efects applaied to every clip.

What project preset are you using?

I apologize, but I have no idea.  I just started using this program a couple hours ago.

• 9. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                          Psythik Level 1
                          Make sure your sequence settings match your media.  In this case, my guess would be your working with 1080 media in a 720 preset, thus forcing the resize to see the whole clip.  Create a new sequence with the correct settings and just Cut/Copy the clips over to that.

Oi, looks like I'm gonna just have to start reading some tutorials and start over with the project, because I don't know how to create a new sequence.  Not like I got that far with it anyway...

Which ones?  There are several that are project settings, and a couple that are global settings.

All of them.  I want anything and everything that has to do with Premiere to go on E:\, instead of filling up my C:\ drive.

The 4.1 update has greatly decreased load times.  Have you updated yet?

No, but I will now, thanks.    

• 10. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            looks like I'm gonna just have to start reading some tutorials and start over with the project, because I don't know how to create a new sequence.

That should have been done before coming here, and most certainly before you started using the program.  Premiere Pro is a professional level NLE meant for video professionals who know what they're doing.  If that's not you, then as with all things in life, you'd be well served to learn what you're doing before you try doing it.

• 11. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                              Psythik Level 1
                              That should have been done before coming here, and most certainly before you started using the program.  Premiere Pro is a professional level NLE meant for video professionals who know what they're doing. If that's not you, then as with all things in life, you'd be well served to learn what you're doing before you try doing it.

Well I already paid for the program, so it's too late now.  Plus my ADD makes it hard to read manuals.  I've always learned just by asking questions and playing with the program until it does what I want.  That's how I learned Photoshop, FL Studio, Dreamweaver and other programs "meant for [...] professionals who know what they're doing".  That's just how I learn.  I came here hoping to get some answers but I guess I'm just gonna have to keep playing around until I get it.

Oh, and by the way, I found what's taking up all the space.  There's about 20GB of God-knows-what located in:

C:\Users\Psythik\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

I need to move that folder to E:\ but I can't quite figure out how to do that...  If anyone would be kind enough to assist me in changing that folder's location, I'll be more than happy to leave you "professionals" alone forever.

• 12. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I've always learned just by asking questions and playing with the program until it does what I want.

Fair warning.  You will get your nose slapped like a bad dog if you do that here.  There are regulars who fully expect you to do your own homework before posting.  Read manuals, watch tutorials, take a class.

Learn first, then do.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                                  Psythik Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

I've always learned just by asking questions and playing with the program until it does what I want.

Fair warning.  You will get your nose slapped like a bad dog if you do that here.  There are regulars who fully expect you to do your own homework before posting.  Read manuals, watch tutorials, take a class.

Learn first, then do.

Fair enough, but I'm not gonna alter the learning style that has always worked well for me for years, just to please a bunch of random people on the internet.  I guess I'll just have to take my questions to a more welcoming community that understands Adult ADD.

But before I do that, does anyone want to assist me with figuring out how to relocate that folder I mentioned in my previous post?  If not, that's fine.  I'll just be on my way.

/Nevermind, I figured it out on my own.  Peace out.

Message was edited by: Psythik

• 14. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Oi, looks like I'm gonna just have to start reading some tutorials and start over with the project, because I don't know how to create a new sequence

A very good place to start would be the PrPro-Wiki. Both the FAQ section and the tutorial section are great resources.

Now, you'll want to match your Project Preset to your source footage, as has been mentioned. Use G-Spot to get the full specs. on your source footage. Choose a Project Preset that matches 100%, or use Desktop and manually change the settings (should not have to do this).

Next, set the Magnification of your Program Monitor to Fit. If speed is an issue, you can drop Quality to Draft, but I am a fan of Highest. Automatic can have some issues, but with regards to quality.

Load times are most dependent on the system's speed, and where the Assets are located. Early CS4 was slower than previous versions, but do take Jim's advice to update to CS4.1.

Good luck,

Hunt

Note: as others have stated, AVCHD material WILL tax your system's capabilities. Speed of loading, editing and playback may only get so good.

• 15. Re: Help a noob out (Problems with the Program Panel, amongst other things)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you looked at all of the Scratch Disk locations in Edit>Preferences? Now, there is a media cache that does go to C:\, but for Scratch Disks, all should be settable from Preferences. Could you have missed one?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS don't worry about your style of learning. Basically there are three styles:

1.) Reading

2.) Observing

3.) Doing

I'm strong on #1 ,then almost as much so on #3, with #2 falling down the scale. I rely less on tutorials, than most here. My wife, with 3x my advanced degrees, and a highly respected CEO, is strong on #2, much less so on #3 and #1 is down her list, at the bottom. Maybe that's from the 1000's of volumes that she's had to read to get where she is. It differs, person to person.