1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 3:22 PM by Jeff Schewe

P65+ RAW files with camera RAW - Not yet

Mark Kenny

Folks,

I'm just wondering if I'm alone here cos I can't find any mention anywhere online. Just had a shoot come in froma photographer (I'm in an ad' agency and we get all types of files from various photographers) shot on a P65+ back. The RAW TIFs are about 55MB each and when I bring them into to Photoshop or Lightroom to process the image to photoshop for retouch, it shows the four sensors from the camera back.You can just see it at this size, (client confiedential prodcut shoot I've had to blank out)

Picture 2.png

A close up shows the centre of the four sensors...

Picture 4.png

My workaround is to go back to CaptureOne and process the files to DNG, then bring them into Lightroom, but my DNGs become 110MB, twice the size the original RAW.

I know it's a fairly new digital back, but surely I'm not alone with this problem? Cos that would be really lonely ;-)

• 1. Re: P65+ RAW files with camera RAW - Not yet
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Mark Kenny wrote:

I know it's a fairly new digital back, but surely I'm not alone with this problem? Cos that would be really lonely ;-)

Correct...as far as I know, Phase still needs to get certain info out to Adobe in order to address the 4 quadrants. As I understand it, there are actually 4 "pipelines" of data being pulled off the chip. Think of them as arrayed data streams...none of them is gonna match "exactly" so Phase tucks calibration data in the file. Camera Raw can (as far as I know) read the data from a P 45+ so I don't think it's a question of if, but one of when...it didn't make the 5.4 update, maybe it'll make the next one (I don't actually know).

However, depending on the camera in use, you may indeed want to do the tiff > DNG conversion to take advantage of the Lens Correction capabilities of Capture One. I use a Phase 645 with Phase lenses that benefit from the DNG conversion.