4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 3:17 PM by Jim_Simon

Hard Drive Choice? WD Black vs. RE3

PaulieDC Level 2

If I wanted an additional single drive for video editing media and wasn't planning on RAID for a while (maybe a long while), is there an advantage to the WD RE3 series over the Black series when running it as a single drive? I know the RE3 is best for RAID, but is it also better single? The 750GB RE3 is $93 at Amazon, the Black 750GB is on sale for $64 at Newegg, both are free shipping. Both are 32mb cache, etc. As as single drive, is the Black missing any feature or not as reliable that I should spring for the RE3?

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Choice? WD Black vs. RE3
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd actually go for a Seagate 7200.12 myself.  Partly because of the four drives that have completely failed on me in all my years of computing, three were WDs.  And partly because the 7200.12's are just faster. (And so far, don't seem to be suffering from the firmware issues of the 7200.11, one of which I have and fortunately works like a champ.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Re ad-Throughput,1010.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hard Drive Choice? WD Black vs. RE3
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Partly because of the four drives that have completely failed on me in all my years of computing, three were WDs.

That just shows how different people have different experiences. Out of 7 Seagates (1.5 TB version) 5 failed me within two months. Apart from that they run hotter and noisier than WD's.

Also, on other sites than Tom's the WD Black consistently outperforms Seagates. Remember, the performance differences are so small as to hardly be noticeable in real life. I have opted for Samsung's because of the price (with 16 disks it makes a difference ). RE's are pretty expensive in comparison to the Blacks, but with a limited number, that may be acceptable. Otherwise, I would go for the Blacks at the current sale.

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Choice? WD Black vs. RE3
              PaulieDC Level 2

Remember how bad Fords were in the early/mid 80s? Then at the end of the decade they started turning it around, and by 1992 had revamped many models especially the passenger vans. WD went through that same bad time, but have made good strides in returning to a quality drive. Not saying perfect, no drive is, but I started buying WDs three years ago and not one has failed me yet. I have used Seagates without fail too, back in my Mac years.

Overall I wanted SOME sort of internal media drive I could afford for now. I just ordered the 750GB Black for $64.99 and even got another 2.5% cash back added to my Bing.com account. For sixty three bucks I'll take the chance that my 3/4 TB storage device won't fail. Can you believe how much storage we get for the buck now??? I thought my 40mb drive in my Mac Portable in 1990 was unfillable. Ha.

Harm... 16 drives... that's beautiful.

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Choice? WD Black vs. RE3
                Jim_Simon Level 8

on other sites than Tom's the WD Black consistently outperforms Seagates.

Curious.  Links?