16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 5:29 PM by Harm Millaard

RAID 0

VideoCrafters Level 1

I'm trying to set up a RAID 0 on 2 of my 4 drives. Motherboard is P6T WS Pro.

In BIOS, First I set my Storage Configuration to RAID.

Next I enter Matrix Storage Manager and pick 2 drives to be my RAID. Name it. Save.

When I restart Windows will no longer load.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: RAID 0
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Perhaps put the boot drive on the other (non-raided) controller?

• 2. Re: RAID 0
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Try the following:

Connect your single disks to the SATA connectors and in the Bios set your SATA configuration to enhanced and IDE, not to Raid or AHCI.

Connect your intended raid disks to the SAS connectors, using the yellow cables. During the boot process, press CTRL-M to enter the Marvell setup and configure your raid as desired.

• 3. Re: RAID 0
              VideoCrafters Level 1

I have no yellow cables. Is there any problem using the red?

• 4. Re: RAID 0
                Harm Millaard Level 7

None at all, but it that case you need power cables as well.

• 5. Re: RAID 0
                  VideoCrafters Level 1

In the process of trying this I cannot start up any longer. I get this warning BOOTMGR is missing.

I have now put all the SATA connectors back where they were.

All drives have a separate power cable.

All drives show in BIOS.

I have done something wrong.

• 6. Re: RAID 0
                    VideoCrafters Level 1

In the process of trying to figure out which drive was the one that had the OS, I started without the OS drive connected. This may have caused my problem.

• 7. Re: RAID 0
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

During Boot, press DEL to enter the Bios. Go to the advanced tab and check your settings are as follows:

Marvell Storage Controller: LEGACY MODE

Storage Boot ROM: DISABLED

Marvell SAS Controller: ENABLED

SAS Boot ROM: ENABLED

In total I have 19 SATA devices internally, 2 SATA BR burners, 1 boot disk and 16 1 TB storage disks, so you can imagine the cable mess I went through when installing, but really, try to be as systematic as you can in connecting all devices, label cables it you need to and designate the disks in such a way that they can be easily found when you need to replace one. For instance use SATA 1 for C, SATA 2 for D, etc. and mount the lowest disk as C, the next higher D, etc. That will make troubleshooting a lot easier.

• 8. Re: RAID 0
                        VideoCrafters Level 1

I set the bios as per your instructions.

Still will not boot. This is the message: BOOTMGR is missing.

• 9. Re: RAID 0
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The only way this could happen is if you have the boot sequence in your Bios settings wrong.

• 10. Re: RAID 0
                            VideoCrafters Level 1

Ok, I'm going to give up fixing this. I will leave only 1 drive connected and reinstall Windows. That way I will know which drive it installs it on. After installation I will connect the other drives. 1 SATA and 2 SAS for a RAID 0.

Probably is a odd way of doing it, but that is what I will try.

• 11. Re: RAID 0
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

That way at least you KNOW how you set up your disks. It may look like a rather devious way to go about this, but in the end you will know what disk is which one, and how they were connected. I should have paid more attention to those small (or large) details in my guide. Sorry for not spelling that out. You may have to reformat the other disks.

The problem is one often assumes readers to know some things, even when they are not obvious, just because you yourself went through the whole process and know the pitfalls. Like the Bios settings I mentioned earlier. That caused me quite some headaches to figure out. I had experimented with different settings and it caused several hangs. The cursing was not off the air...

Anyway, let us know how you fare. I will try to help as much as I can from this distance.

PS. Points for Helpful or Correct Answers will not be objected to, if you want to give those by clicking the designated button under a post. You know about the lunch at Adobe's cafetaria....

• 12. Re: RAID 0
                                Jim_Simon Level 9

I started without the OS drive connected. This may have caused my problem.

Uh....yeah!  How did you expect to boot without a boot drive connected?

(Pssst.  Here's a little tip.  Your car won't start without gas, your TV won't turn on without power, and your body will eventually run out of energy and die without food. )

• 13. Re: RAID 0
                                  VideoCrafters Level 1

Joe,

I did this to try to discover which drive the os was on.

• 14. Re: RAID 0
                                    VideoCrafters Level 1

Harm,

I am up and running. Everything appears to be working. When I made my RAID 0 in Marvell I used the default strip size of 64kb. Should that be changed to 128kb.

Thanks for all your help... you are a life saver. Not sure if I could have gotten this far without you!!!

• 15. Re: RAID 0
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are using your raid array for scratch and renders, 64 K stripe size is good (these are usually small files, but a lot of them), but if you use it for media files (small number of files but large in size), I would change it to 128 K size.

When you know the advise you gave helped and solved a problem, that is satisfying. If you run into any other problems, let us know.

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: RAID 0
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        Thanks for all your help... you are a life saver. Not sure if I could have gotten this far without you!!!

Sure you would have. Might have taken a bit longer, but the learning experience would have had more impact.

I'm telling you this because I'm an autodidact, so my teacher was a complete idiot.

I started on a MITS Altair (http://oldcomputers.net/altair.html) back in the old days and then progressed to an http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html via IBM 370/DEC 2060 to where I am now. APL is still my favorite language, having used Fortran, Basic, Cobol, Pascal, RPG, C+, Java, and the like. Just yesterday I downloaded J to try out. I really want to try out what Kenneth Iverson has done this time. His APL was fabulous, J must be even better.

Anyway, trust yourself to learn from mistakes.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience.... well, that comes from bad judgement."

or, as others say:

"Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"