4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 6:22 PM by EH....?

Dynamicly linked clip portions

EH....? Level 1

I would like to be able to export (dynamicly linked) a portion only of a given clip on a Premiere timeline for After Effects processing.  When I attempt this, even whne I slice my clip at the start and end points within Premiere, I get the entire ckio exported. 

Even if After Effects does ar least helpfully highlight the section I want to deal with, it would be so SO much more useful to me to just allow the specific clip portions alone (or sometimes more than one within a clip) as individual After Effects projects to replace corresoinding portions of the given clip within Premiere from which they're taken .

How can I do this?

nFri

• 1. Re: Dynamicly linked clip portions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If I understand you right, you want the impossible. As long as a clip is one solid file on your harddrive, any program can only import the whole clip. You know, splitting the clip in the timeline does not do anything to the source file on the drive. In case of Premiere, you may wish to use sub-clips to get where you want. Of course those sub-clips require to be rendered, so it doesn't really have any advantages over the current model. In the future, simply capture to multiple clips instead of just one...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Dynamicly linked clip portions
            EH....? Level 1

Nothing is impossible, Mylenium.

Your reply does remind me of an important point, however.

First let me expand on information.  My clips are from a feature-length stage performance recording, so a twenty-minute or so clip is unwieldy to work with.

However, as you broiught out, the camera original video is compressed, so any arbitrary portion will be degraded.  However, if Premiere allowed me to export the portion I need with an overlap that comprises the keyframe prior and the last subframe (sorry, don't know the term) AFTER the portion I ned to work wuth, the segment should in theory suffer no degradation from the compressed original.

Is this not true.

Othwise, to be optimal, I`d have to export my clip portions uncompressed, and this could prove very space intensive for a long project.

nFri

• 3. Re: Dynamicly linked clip portions
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

If you select a clip in the Premiere Pro timeline, copy it and then paste it into an AE composition, the in/out boundaries and most animated settings will be preserved, would that work for you?

• 4. Re: Dynamicly linked clip portions
                EH....? Level 1

I'm thinking that's the answer.  Thanks, Adolfo!

nFri

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:22:54 -0600

To: ndfrizzle@hotmail.com

Subject: Dynamicly linked clip portions

If you select a clip in the Premiere Pro timeline, copy it and then paste it into an AE composition, the in/out boundaries and most animated settings will be preserved, would that work for you?

>