12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 6:48 PM by Jim_Simon

Which ATI card to buy?

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ATI 4830 or 4850 or 4870 (and why)?

According to http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/specs.html the main difference (besides unlisted GPU processing speed) is the 4830 has 640 "stream units" and the 4850 and 4870 have 800 each (plus, I presume, faster GPU clocks based on the individual vendor's choices... with the 4870 having the highest potential GPU speed)

Since I have read that Premiere Pro (at least as of CS4) does not do any "co-processing" with the GPU, I would like to know if there is some value to buying the (more expensive) 4850 or 4870 instead of the ATI 4830 model?

This will (eventually) be in a new Intel i7 computer running Win7 64bit

• 1. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Given the fact that the price difference is small and extra installed memory is not used, I would go for the higher clocked 4870 with 512 MB rather than the slower 4850 1 GB version. What are we talking about, $ 10-20 maybe? What is that on the whole system?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I just spent $35 (with delivery) on a 4350 with 512 MB memory at newegg.  Works great.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Which ATI card to buy?

Thanks... I've seen a 4870 with 1Gig for just under $200, so will check the price for a 512Meg version as well

• 4. Re: Which ATI card to buy?

I'm planning ahead to if/when I start using HD with a BluRay burner, so I think I'll stick with one of the 48x series cards, not a 4350

• 5. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

I currently have a 512 MB 4870 (OC'ed to 800 MHz GPU and 1030 memory). If I were to do it again at this moment with current prices, I would seriously look at the HD 4890, which are only available with 1 GB.

• 6. Re: Which ATI card to buy?

I will add the 4890 to my spreadsheet, and check around for prices

I am buying components over time to reduce the hit on my monthly $$ so still have time to look for sales

• 7. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
                      Powered by Design Level 4

I would go with the 4890 and pray that CS5 starts using the graphics card.

• 8. Re: Which ATI card to buy?

I looked at the 4890 page at ATI and, aside from still no mention of GPU speed (which I presume is implemented by each vendor) the main difference is the "lower" 48xx cards all support OpenGL 2.1 and the 4890 supports OpenGL 3.1

I took a look at New Egg and found several brands of 4890 card for "about" $200 - so now I just need to do some review reading for each brand to find out which one has the best implementation of the ATI hardware, and overall quality rating

Looking ahead (Oct release and then 3-4 months?) to when Win7 SP1 is released, I think I have 5-6 months before making a final decision on which implementation of ATI hardware to buy

I've already narrowed my motherboard search to the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P so will also buy that just before I start building

• 9. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
                          Jim_Simon Level 9

I would go with the 4890 and pray that CS5 starts using the graphics card.

With the first round of OpenCL being finalized last September, that is entirely possible.

(And just in case anyone from Adobe is peeking in, extremely desirable.  And by that I mean Adobe would have full grounds to release CS5 with only two new features - full native 64 bit coding built from the ground up, and full use of any capable GPU through OpenCL, meaning every effect and transition, every export option, not just a few things.  Anything after that is a bonus, but those two at least should be considered absolute musts for CS5 no later than 2010, sooner if at all possible.)

• 10. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I picked up a HIS 4870 with 1GB form newegg for $150

• 11. Re: Which ATI card to buy?

Bill Gehrke wrote:

I picked up a HIS 4870 with 1GB form newegg for $150

There were several brands of 4890 listed on Newegg that I've never heard of, so I'm going to take my time and search out brand reviews before I decide to buy one

So I at least start out with the "latest" technology... which I know will be outdated about 3 days after I buy... I'm going to take a long look at the 4890 from the "best" overall vendor I can find

If CS5 makes use of the GPU, initially or soon after with an update, that would be a bonus

As well as waiting for Win7 64bit to be at SP1 level, I'm also not going to finish my buying and start building until I see if CS5 is released in 64bit... there's no point in spending the $$ if I can't make use of the 12Gig of ram I plan to install (unless, that is, the price of 4Gig ram sticks comes down and I decide to go with the maximum 24Gig the motherboard supports)

Added - Final, until CS5, thoughts on video cards

I did not read all of the reviews, but all of the 4890 reviews at Newegg were written by gamers

Main plus was video refresh speed... very important to a gamer

Main minus was the HEAT given off by the card, and the NOISE of the card's cooling fan

Since I'm not a gamer, and Premiere does not, as far as I can tell, require a super fast refresh rate, I'm going to wait until CS5 is released to make a final decision

If CS5 will make use of the ATI's GPU for processing... I'll see what cards are supported and buy accordingly

If the GPU is NOT used by CS5, I'll take a look at one of the lesser, and cooler/quieter ATI cards

• 12. Re: Which ATI card to buy?
                                Jim_Simon Level 9

If CS5 makes use of the GPU, initially or soon after with an update, that would be a bonus

You're thinking small, dude.  That's not a bonus, it's a MUST HAVE.