11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 9:55 AM by Gary Agoura

Importing from Final Cut Express

ammd1

I see how to import to Premiere pro from Final Cut Pro, but does anyone know if I can import my file from Final Cut Express?  I don't want to have to pay $1000 for Final Cut Pro and then $800 for Premiere pro.

• 1. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When you say "Import my file," do you mean Export and then Import an AV file, or do you mean your Project file, .PRPROJ?

There is a very big difference.

If you are looking to Export from FCE, I'd use .MOV [Animation] and Import that/those into PrPro.

Let us know exactly what you want to do, and also which way you need to go, FCE -> PrPro, or PrPro -> FCE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
            Gary Agoura

Once you "Log and Transfer" your files into FCE 4, you can then use them in Premiere Pro CS4.  I have done this.  What I am looking for is a way to bypass FCE 4.

Hope that helps!

• 3. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              What I am looking for is a way to bypass FCE 4.

Just use Premiere, then.  Or am I missing something?

• 4. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                Gary Agoura Level 1

I would love to use Premiere but when I import video directly into Premiere, the video is at a lower resolution.  There is another post that talks about this but I have to import the video into FCE then take the .MOV files and I can use them in Premiere.

Hope that explains it.

• 5. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  I would love to use Premiere but when I import video directly into Premiere, the video is at a lower resolution.

That would usually point to OE. Import does not change resolution, unless you do something wrong.

• 6. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I have to admit that I am lost here. I thought that I had left a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back, but something ate them.

Let me try to get back on track:

1.) you have a file that was Exported from some unknown NLE (Non Linear Editor), that is in what, .MOV format? Which .MOV CODEC was used for that Export?

2.) you want to get this Exported file into PrPro to edit, but have to run it through FCE to get it to work. Is that correct?

Go back to the first Export, and use .MOV [Animation] CODEC. Import THAT file into PrPro. If you have Apple QT Player on your machine with PrPro, you should have the Animation CODEC installed. [I do not think that you need QT Pro, but check me out on that.] The Exported file should Import and edit fine. If there is a quality loss, or Frame Size problem, it is in the Export initially. Check all settings there. This should allow you to completely by-pass FCE.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS if you see an over-stuffed chipmunk, he's the one that ate my breadcrumbs!

• 7. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                      Gary Agoura Level 1

I have a Sony HDR-SR8 AVCHD camera.  If I try to import video directly from the camera through Premiere Pro CS4, the video somehow comes in low-res.

If I start Final Cut Express and import the same video from the camera, the video comes in correctly.  Once imported into Final Cut Express, .MOV files are then created.   I can then import the .MOV files into Premiere Pro and they are perfect to work with.  No video loss at all.

I am not sure which CODEC Premiere Pro uses and I can't check now because I am at work.  I will have to wait till I get home.

I wish I could explain better but I am a newbie at this stuff.

Thanks

Gary

• 8. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Use Sony's PMB to transfer to harddisk and import the directory into PR, including all subdirectories. No problemo.

• 9. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          If I try to import video directly from the camera through Premiere Pro CS4, the video somehow comes in low-res.

That would almost definitely be operator error or observer error.

• 10. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I have a Sony HDR-SR8 AVCHD camera

Thank you. I feel better now. I think that I got confused with two posters in the one thread - sorry.

Harm has solved the issue, I believe, and there should be no need to involve FCE in the workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Importing from Final Cut Express
                              Gary Agoura Level 1

I have a laptop that runs Vista so I took the Sony CD with PMB and tried to install it.  What a mistake.  It crashed and wouldn't run.   I then tried to do the install again by starting the install in "XP Compatability mode".  The system crashed again and I couldn't recover.   I had to wipe Vista off the machine and start over.

Lucky for me the laptop is a loaner and I just had a few appllications on it.  I get a new laptop in two weeks but I am afraid to reinstall PMB on it.