13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 9:49 AM by Jacob Bugge

Mesh magic

Merrie22

Hello

I need to colour this shape so that all the lines within the two green ovals are also green, while the two grey mesh areas at the bottom left and top right stay grey.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Mesh magic
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way is with the Scissors tool (keyboard shortcut c). Lock the two green colored ovals and cut the grey ones where they cross. Marquee select the trimmed lines and click on the green swatch.

Picture 2.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mesh magic
            RogerPaine Level 1

select all - duplicate

set the stroke colour in one set to green and the other to grey

select the top two paths in the green set, copy to the clipboard and then combine them

select the group with the combined path on top and make a clipping group

paste in front (thats your two paths before you combined them)

re-align this group with your grey group

done

• 3. Re: Mesh magic
              [scott] Level 6

Live Paint tool... click the strokes you want green.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mesh magic
                RogerPaine Level 1

Scott - how does that work? Are you splitting the paths before the live paint bit?

- don't answer that - I see how it works - I agree with Wade though - a bit of a fiddle

• 5. Re: Mesh magic
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I did this as a live paint group painting only the strokes as my option but I have to say where the strokes overlap it is a little difficult to figure out what gets painted to color certain overlapping stroke areas. It actually took me fifteen minutes to get this right and I had to deselect the object first then slect the live paint tool and set to the option to strokes only then select the art and turn it into a live paint group.

It works well but is at firs laborious. I was working on this while Scott posted.

Picture 4.png

• 6. Re: Mesh magic
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

merrie,

You may also:

0) Release the Clipping Mask;

1) Select the two green ones, Object>Compound Path>Make, and Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them;

2) Group the grey ones, Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them, and change their colour to green;

3) Select the lower Compound Path and the upper Group and Object>Clipping Path>Make.

• 7. Re: Mesh magic
                      JETalmage Level 6

What does any of this have to do with a Mesh?

JET

• 8. Re: Mesh magic
                        Merrie22 Level 1

Jet: It looks like a mesh! (it's not an Adobe Mesh).

Thanks for all the replies. I have learned a few new techniques from your answers. The scissors and the Live Paint worked, though laborious. Jacob's would have been the quickest - however, altho  the mesh bits greyed, the centre was greyed too, and it needed to be green. I could not get Roger's suggestion to work, only part of the bits needing to be green became green but I probably could not understand all the instructions.

Thanks everyone! I'll be using Live Paint and Scissors for a few other things in the future and probably Jacob's solution too.

• 9. Re: Mesh magic

Merrie,

I overlooked the grey parts at the centre, sorry. The Clipping Path should have had a green fill:

1) Select the two green ones, Group, and Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them,

2) Give the lower set a green fill and Pathfinder Merge;

3) Group the grey ones, Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them, and change the copy colour to green;

4) Select the green Merged Path and the upper Group and Object>Clipping Path>Make.

• 10. Re: Mesh magic
                            RogerPaine Level 1

Sorry, inadequate explaination - please Picture 1.png

see attached

• 11. Re: Mesh magic
                              Merrie22 Level 1

Thanks Roger, this solution is the quickest (though as I am using CS3, not CS4 had to find the combination in Pathfinder palette - it is "Add to shape area") - now that I understand it. OTOH I am quite pleased to learn the Live Paint and Scissors.

• 12. Re: Mesh magic
                                Merrie22 Level 1

Thanks Jacob: I could not understand the last two bits - probably because I am using CS3 not CS4 - but it worked if I left out the black mask/opacity bit. This worked for me:

1) Select the two green ones, Object>Compound Path>Make, and Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them;

2) Group the grey ones, Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy them, and change their colour to green;

3) Select the lower Compound Path and the upper Group and Object>Clipping Path>Make;

4) Select the top Compound Path, Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy it, and give it a black fill;

5) Select also the lower Group and Transparency>Opacity Mask>Make, not clipped, not inverted.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

• 13. Re: Mesh magic

Merrie,

Thanks Jacob: I could not understand the last two bits - probably because I am using CS3 not CS4 ...

I am still with 10.

I believe I edited post #9 to improve/simplify while you were looking at it. Hopefully, the new version is better and more straightforward.