7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 11:56 PM by vaia.apostolidou

flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv

tom123xyz Level 1

OK... it is slowly getting clearer.

I have a program (prezi) that outputs to flash.exe (the file appears, along with subsidiary folders).

I want to upload this into another program that appears to accepet *.swf and *.flv

So... what gives?

Can one convert a flash.exe to the other two?

(Yes, I know that an exe is an executable, and, aside from the confusing world of flash - I just spent a useless hour

on the phone with the support staff from India - I would have thought that the ONLY exe in my life right now would be

the exe that runs and creates flash that I buy with CS4.  But this prezi code GENERATES its own flash.exe file.  It

IS the result of my work; I like it.  And I want to convert it to swf or flv.

(And I must still admit I am confused about these three files and how to distinguish them).

PLEASE!

• 1. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
          JoshSquires Level 1

A Flash Projector(Flash .EXE) file is a complied file which would have to be decomplied to order to get its components none of which I would think would be in a standard file format such as .fla or .swf

Is there no option in your current complier program to export (output) to a different file type such as a SWF?

• 2. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
            tom123xyz Level 1

No, there is no other option.  And I suppose that is OK as I may have anothe work around.

But in the meantime, could you elaborate onyour answer?

What is a compiled file like this?

(I know what it means to compile a C++ code for example)

And while you are at it... if I own a flash liscence, why can it not read this *exe file?

Why is it that the only way to view it is to run it?

• 3. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
              JoshSquires Level 1

Any application .EXE file has to go through a compile process to convert the source code to machine language. Once converted you have to be able to decompile it or reverse engineer the file's machine language to change its functionality, etc... As for having a valid Flash version that will read in the Flash source files (.FLA) for editing but it will not even read in a Shockwave File (SWF)(Standard compiled flash output file) for editting let alone an application file compiled with some third-party software.

Sorry my friend to be the bearer of bad news.

-Josh

• 4. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
                tom123xyz Level 1

Josh, you said:

"As for having a valid Flash version that will read in the Flash source files (.FLA) for editing but it will not even read in a Shockwave File (SWF)(Standard compiled flash output file) for editting let alone an application file compiled with some third-party software."

There is important information in this sentece... I think... could you rephrase it.  It is not clear to me.

ALSO: are you saying that an swf is a compiled version?

Is it different from an exe?

When you say: "as for having a valid Flash version": what do you mean by Flash?

Flash.exe

or the Flash that comes with adobe.

The word flash is being bandied about so much i don't know what it means anymore.

• 5. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
                  JoshSquires Level 1

Sorry, I feel that much of my information is like defining a word with the word our in programming sense I'm using circular logic. I'll try to clarify what I have stated.

There are two types of files in the computer world (for the sake of this discussion)

PRE-COMPILED (Source)

COMPILED (Release)

Source or Source Code is the location where all the resources that are being used in a project come together and are combined in some matter then compiled to a Release File. The Release file is a file that then is consumed by the public and rendered using which ever software is required to view said copiled file.

A .FLA file is the (Source) file for a program called Adobe Flash which can take that Source file and compile it into many formats such as SWF, GIF, EXE, etc... SWF being the default and primary compiled format type.

A .SWF file is the (Release) file which is consumed by the public and is typically rendered(displayed) by Adobe Flash Player.

Adobe Flash can import different standard file types and allow those different files takes to act as resources to the later compiled SWF file. However Adobe Flash cannot import EXE files as they are not standard (Notepad.exe is completely different than Calc.exe).

Now for your situation the Prezi software complied your work to a FLASH.EXE file unfortuate naming convension which I think is causing you all your confusion. This FLASH.EXE file that you have is just a compiled Projector file that displays your presentation. It cannot be imported or loaded into Adobe Flash even if you have a valid version(license) of the Adobe Flash software.

Hope that helps,

Josh

• 6. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
                    tom123xyz Level 1

THANK YOU!

That makes sense...

thanks again,

t.

• 7. Re: flash.exe to flash.swf OR flash.flv
                      vaia.apostolidou Level 1

Hello tom,
                      could you please share your workaround with us?
                      I also want to have my prezi converted to a swf or flv so I can send it through email without all the rest of the folders...