11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 9:38 AM by John T Smith

Video files only being read/corruption to audio files

sir_c Level 1

I've had some video files stored on my hard drive for a while which were captured in CS4 and now I want to open these files to put a final edit together. However, when I try to do so premiere tells me the files are now only audio even though my computer tells me they are huge video files!As a consequence I can't use the media as Premiere won't put it into the project.

I tried playing them with windows media player and find that they only play audio! Has anyone else had this problem and can you suggest what I should do to get them back to being recognised as video files? Each one is over 30 mins long so I would rather use them than start from scratch again.

I have no reason to believe that the hard drive is in any way corrupted or bad.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sir_c

• 1. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I've had some video files stored on my hard drive for a while which were captured in CS4 and now I want to open these files to put a final edit together. However, when I try to do so premiere tells me the files are now only audio even though my computer tells me they are huge video files!

How where they captured from what video camera?

My hard drive as in singular?

Define huge.

From the looks of it, your best bet is to recapture, after you have remedied the single disk problem.

• 2. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
            sir_c Level 1

Hi Harm

They were captured with ilink/firewire and are HDV files. Yes it is a singular drive, however, it has also happened on back-up copies of other files in the past which were transfered to an external hard drive. This is why I'm asking the question this time rather than just getting on and re-capturing files.

Files are up to 8G+ and there are 10 of them.

I suspect I will have to recapture which is a pain, but even so, having had the problem happen to other back-up copies in the past I am worried why it is happening.

Any advice would be most welcome.

sir_c

• 3. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This is weird. 8 GB files would normally indicate around 40 minutes of video material, but the fact that it does not play in WMP or PR is strange to say the least. Can you try to recapture at least a short part of one HDV tape with HDVSplit just to test if it works. The only explanation could maybe be, although it seems farfetched, that you have only captured audio and not video.

• 4. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                sir_c Level 1

Hi Harm

I know that the files captured ok because I have already started the editing process with the files a couple of months ago (and yes they were about 40 mins each). I had already done a reasonable amount of video editing with them and so it all started fine, this is something that has happened since and is not restricted to one drive!! And, as I said before they file are still the same size they were when I captured them but PP, WMP and even After Effects only play audio and not video!

I guess it's a recapture job, but I just wish I knew why it happened especially as this isn't the first time.

• 5. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I am stumped. How can it be that you captured OK, edited these files, even though you did not yet finish editing, and upon reopening the project the video part disappeared leaving the audio intact. I have no explanation, but what you may try is to clean the media cache and remove all rendered files. That will force, upon reopening the project, a new indexing of the captured files.

• 6. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                    sir_c Level 1

Actually that was the first thing I tried and still no joy. It seems that the files have somehow lost the video part even though they remain the same size and the audio is perfect!!

Why is it that these wierd things happen to me !!!! LOL

Thanks for your help anyway, I will now go away and think if it is really worth all the effort to re-capture and re-edit or just to let the project die a quiet death. My only worry is 'what if it happens with another much more important project?' Then I really would be in trouble.

That said, I am now looking into raid 1 external backup drives just in case it is a drive problem, but I honestly don't think it is ....

• 7. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, the files Captured and edited fine initially. Now, they show as Audio-only. That indicates to me that the CODEC for the Video is no longer available on your system, as it once was. Why? Could be something broke that CODEC, or it got removed somehow.

Use G-Spot to look at your files and find out what the Video CODEC is, and also if it shows as being properly installed on your System. If you did the Capture in PrPro, then all should be on the system, unless something happened between Capture and now.

You did not, by chance, convert these files to anything like DivX, or Xvid, did you? They often show as Audio-only, or Video-only. If you did, you will want to use a conversion program to get you back to something that WMP can play, and that PrPro can edit. If you did this (maybe to save disk space?), you will have taken a hit on quality. I will just assume that this was NOT done, or at least I am hoping that it was NOT done.

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot says about those files.

Hunt

BTW what is the file extension on these files that show as Audio-only?

• 8. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                        sir_c Level 1

Your the man ... or is it wine snob? Thanks for the gspot heads up, it has shown me what the problem is.

Basically, in the past I had a matrox card which I haven't used for some time and it seems that I must have captured the files with the matrox card and as I no longer have the card PP is not able to recognise it!

Quite what I should do about it I don't know! It says it is a multipart OpenDML AVI (2 parts) and the metadata says it is a matrox DSX AVI file.

Under video it says CODEC M703 and the name is unknown and the codec is not installed, so I will start to look to see if I can find it!

Thanks again for the advice and help, any idea about M703? I guess I start on the matrox site?

sir_c

• 9. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

No, I guess you start on recapturing to get rid of anything Matrox related. That would be the sensible approach.

• 10. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Matrox, eh? I have no idea if this will work, and really doubt that it will, but you might try to install the Matrox CODEC's. I would definitely do a System Restore Point manually (maybe even a backup of the C:\), before I installed them. I would suspect that they will ONLY function with the proper Matrox card installed, but do not know for sure.

Two other options would be to find a Matrox-equipped machine, Import these files and then using whatever program/utility necessary, get them into DV-AVI Type II with the MS DV CODEC. Then, Import those onto your machine and PrPro.

Other option is to re-Capture without that Matrox card.

Maybe some Matrox-user can chime-in and tell you if my first suggestion is all wet, to save you the time. I've never used a Matrox Capture Card, so have no clue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Video files only being read/corruption to audio files
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use a Pinnacle Dv500, not a Matrox, but I do know that EARLY versions of the Dv500 device driver created files that would ONLY edit with the Dv500

Later (not sure which version) Dv500 software created files that were portable... using a "standard" DV AVI type 2 Codec

You might also Google to see if anyone has written a converter... but if so, such might require the Matrox codec to read the file to convert