10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 7:37 AM by the_wine_snob

transition between clips

mejanr Level 1

Hi again,

I'm having trouble putting the "doors" transition between my clips - have zoomed in and there is no smaller clips in between. If I have not allowed for the extra frames (or handles) after trimming clips, is there any way to remedy this?

Thanks.

P.S. I can actually put the transition in, but other frames I don't want show up even though I have trimmed everything off and deleted and closed gap between clips!

• 1. Re: transition between clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, mejan, when you say "If I have not allowed for the extra frames (or handles) after trimming clips, is there any way to remedy this?"

If you have no extra frames beyond the in or out point, the transition will be created using a freeze frame of the last available frame. Is this what you're seeing?

"other frames I don't want show up even though I have trimmed everything off and deleted and closed gap between clips!"

Transitions need an extra second or so of video beyond your in or out point to use as head or tail material for the transition. Is this what you're seeing?

Maybe if you post a screen capture of your timeline to your post we'll have a better idea what is going on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: transition between clips
            Kodebuster Level 3

Not to put words in anyones mouth, but I believe I've seen what is being described here, and I could never understand or fix it.

You'll place a Transition between two (2) clips, and for all intent and purposes, the Transition works as it should.

But for some reason, when the Transition plays you will see Frames in the Transition that were Trimmed from the Clip (or should not be there).

You can continue to Trim both sides of the Clips, but the garbage frames continue.

I think that's what the original Post is saying...correct me if I'm wrong...

• 3. Re: transition between clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kodebuster,

I believe that in this case, you are 100% correct.

As PrE is a non-destructive NLE (Non Linear Editor), if the Clip, let's call it Clip A, is part of a larger "parent" Clip and was created by setting the In & Out Points, then the Tail area has access to the Head of what would be the next Clip. These are not seen, as the Out Point on Clip A hides them. However, when a Transition is applied, those "unseen" Frames are brought into play, as are needed to supply the Handles for that Transition. If those frames are from what one would call the next "scene," there will be problems. If one shoots each scene with just a few more frames (02 sec. is a good amount to continue shooting after the action has finished), there is no problem. If one has stopped the camera, just as the action ceases, then there is a problem. One can just set the Out Point on Clip A enough Frames earlier to allow for the Transition and that is the next best solution.

If Clip A is the last "Clip" in that Capture or file, then there are no more Frames in the parent Clip. At this point, PrE will create still Frames from the last available Frame, as Steve says. This happens when PrE has no more Frames in the Parent Clip to work with.

To recap:

1.) always shoot a few more Frames in each scene, both before the action begins and after it completes (always the best way)

2.) if one did not follow the advice above, then tighten up the Clip by re-setting its In & Out point by the required number of Frames for the Transition

3.) if one has a Clip from a parent Clip, and they want PrE to add those still Frames, they would want to Export that Clip and then Import it back into the Project, replacing their "child" Clip (Clip A) with this new file. Warning, most Transitions look bad, when the still Frames are generated. Use this method at your own risk, as the Transition will not likely look as you hope.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: transition between clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                If you have no extra frames beyond the in or out point, the transition will be created using a freeze frame of the last available frame.

This will only take place if the Clip has no more Frames to draw from, i.e. it's a child Clip, and its last Frame is also the last Frame of the parent Clip. Then, PrE will use the last Frame and duplicate it as many times as is necessary. The "look" of this is usually not something that one would want.

"other frames I don't want show up even though I have trimmed everything off and deleted and closed gap between clips!"

Transitions need an extra second or so of video beyond your in or out point to use as head or tail material for the transition. Is this what you're seeing?

My guess is that these are the "phantom Frames" seen, and for just the reason that you specify. The Clip used is a child Clip, and is created from a larger parent Clip, by setting the In & Out Points. Those phantom Frames are from what would be the Head of the next child Clip in the parent Clip.

As you state, a Transition needs Handles to function. These Handles have to come from somewhere. In the first case, they are created. In the second, they are "borrowed" from the following Clip, with no regard to subject matter. By the OP's description, this is exactly what is being seen.

If there are no Handles, the only way to get the Transition to function properly is to create them by tightening the Out Point by enough Frames to allow for them.

Rules for shooting for Transitions:

1.) always allow for Handles, when shooting

2.) follow rule #1

3.) prepare to have your edit tighter, than you intended to allow for not following rules #1 & #2

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: transition between clips
                  mejanr Level 1

Yes, I did not explain myself very well, but that is exactly what I meant BUT I have finally solved the prob by discovering that it was the tiniest invisible slither of a clip that I had not trimmed off properly that was the unwanted frame causing the probs. No handles needed yet!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

P.S. How and when do you use "Snap to" mentioned before?

• 6. Re: transition between clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Snap is a function available (toggle with the S key) in the Timeline, where when a Clip, or a Transition, is near to the beginning, or end, of a Clip, the object being dragged will "jump" to those junctures. This makes dragging and dropping Clips, for instance, onto the Timeline, so that they are adjacent to previous, or following Clips. I leave it on most of the time, as it speeds up dragging, and dropping. It will also function, if, one is click-dragging the Tail of one Clip, and they want it to expand only to the Head of the next Clip.

Now, remember, Snap sees the entire Timeline - all Video and Audio Tracks. If one has Clips on those, even if they are scrolled out of view, Snap will function on them, as well. This can get a bit confusing, when many Tacks are populated, especially if they ARE scrolled out of view.

Snap gets in the way of trying to do things like repair OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. As one slide the Audio Clip, it will want to jump to the beginning, or end of another Clip. That is usually NOT what the editor wants. There, I turn it OFF, so I can effortlessly slide my Audio exactly the number of frames that I want, without having to "fight" Snap. Again, I turn it back on, when I go back to general editing.

There is one instance, where it can cause issues. Do not know if this has been changed, as of PrE7. It is especially common, if one is zoomed out on the horizontal view of the Timeline. Basically, if one is too forceful, when dragging and placing an Asset onto the Timeline and they "jam" this new Clip up to the Tail of another with too much "force," Snap will allow one to jump slightly past the Tail of the existing Clip by a Frame, or two. That alone would not be a big deal. What happens to those Frames, however, can be. They get sheared off and then are placed at the end of the last Clip on the Timeline. If one shortens the Duration of several Clips along the way, these one-two Frame "orphans" stay out at the end. One can end up with a desired Duration of say 00;10;39;00, but in reality the Timeline might be 00;11;00;00. It is because of the orphans way out past where the editor "thought" the Timeline should end, and they are often out of sight, unless one hits the \ [backslash] key, to zoom out to the full view of the Timeline. Then, the orphans will be seen. One of the last things that I always do, before Export is hit \, to see my entire Timeline. This checks for orphans, and also any Clips that I forgot.

If Snap is OFF, what happens when you have a Clip on the Timeline and drag another "over" it, is the first Clip is "rolled up," i.e. its Out Point is moved in, from where it was set. Now, there are no orphans, but one has shortened the first Clip, and that is usually NOT what they want to do. Careful, non-forceful use of Snap will allow one to butt the dragged Clip right up to the previous one - just do not JAM it in there. Be gentle, like you were working with original film and not digital media.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: transition between clips
                      mejanr Level 1

Very helpful info. thankyou. I think those "orphans" were responsible for my transitions problem.

• 8. Re: transition between clips
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I think those "orphans" were responsible for my transitions problem.

Actually, I'd not be too sure. They most often end up far beyond the place where you expect your Timeline to end.

Still, if one is not careful, they could appear between clips, and could cause what you describe. More often, it is Handles, or a lack thereof, that causes what you describe.

Hope that the editing is going well,

Hunt

• 9. Re: transition between clips
                          mejanr Level 1

Hi,

I have given up on the transitions - just TOO hard with handles and orphans etc!!!

I think my probs. arise from the fact that I lost my project along the way due to a crash, and then re-installed it into PE7 in 3 large files that I had luckily saved on a disc previously.

Thanks anyway.

• 10. Re: transition between clips
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry to hear of the crash and loss of part of the Project. That is always heartbreaking.

When you have time, you might want to revisit the Transition. I'd grab two Clips, with extra material at the Head and Tail. Set the In & Out Points about 40 Frames in, and butt the Trimmed Clips to one another. Apply the Transition then, and see if you can tweak it to what you were originally looking for. The exercise will pay off later.

Good luck,

Hunt