11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 12:27 PM by the_wine_snob

PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape

deb1992 Level 1

My boss is trying to Capture his HDV footage from his mini-DV tapes on two different Sony camcorders into PPro CS4 using his Windows XP laptop.  It will capture about 20 minutes of footage, giving a file size of 4.194GB.  Then PPro will say it's continuing to capture and go through the rest of tape, but it won't capture anymore.

He thought after a certain file size, it would stop and then continue capturing in a new file.  How do we set this up?

• 1. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make sure that the disk to which capture takes place is formatted as NTFS, not FAT32.

Click on Start > Programs > Cmd [Command Prompt]
          convert d: /fs:ntfs
          The above code is used to convert your hard-disk’s D Drive to NTFS file system. If you want to convert the drive from which you have currently booted into the operating system, the command offers you to convert the hard drive in the next restart. Once the task is completed you get a message : Conversion Complete

or:

Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Command Prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press ENTER. For example, convert E: /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS format.

Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press ENTER. To view the available volumes, click the Start button Picture of Start button, and then click Computer. The volumes are listed under Hard Disk Drives.

If the partition you are converting contains system files—which would be the case if you are converting your entire hard disk—you will need to restart your computer for the conversion to take place. If your disk is almost full, the conversion process might not succeed. If you receive an error, try deleting unnecessary files, or back up files to another location, to free up disk space.

• 2. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
            deb1992 Level 1

Is there any option if he is capturing on FAT32?  He already has footage on that drive and doesn't want to lose it by re-formatting to NTFS.  Is there a way to set it up that once it reaches the file size limit it can automatically create another file and continue capturing or will he have to manually stop the capture at 20 minutes, then start again, capturing another 20 minutes in a separate file?

• 3. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
              David Zeno Level 1

I still wonder why people try to capture using Premiere. .... we have discussed this 1,000 times.

Premiere is not the program to capture tape with.  You end up with a single file, containing both audio and video, which gives you

sync problems.  Hint, you want a program that gives you 1 video file and 2 audio files.

Perhaps use one of the programs we have suggested.

• 4. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                deb1992 Level 1

We are fine having 1 file, containing both audio & video.  For our purposes, that is fine.  We just want to know how we can get all the footage off the tape.  right now, we can only get the first 20 minutes.

• 5. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If one insists on doing a Capture to a FAT-32 HDD, they are limited to a file size right where you describe. The only option is to Capture in small segments, resulting in more files.

Now, this will Capture the tapes, but I would worry greatly that the system might not be up to editing at all with PrPro, if the HDD's are still FAT-32. Maybe I worry for nothing, but it would be a major concern of mine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As per earlier reply - that is the limit for FAT-32. Those segments will be as long as will be allowed. Only one way around that, and it's as Harm mentioned, Convert from the CMD prompt.

Now, one thing that I had not considered, and the end result will be the same, but if these captured files are to an external, that will go to a Mac, you would want to keep the format FAT-32, so the Mac could read the PC external. That would be the ONLY reason that I can think of to keep the FAT-32. Regardless those 20 min segments will be "as good as it gets," sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                      deb1992 Level 1

Thanks for your help.  My boss found another external harddrive and will format it to NTFS so he can capture the entire tape.

• 8. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        My boss found another external harddrive and will format it to NTFS so he can capture the entire tape.

So long as that external will not have to be read by a Mac, that is definitely the solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad he/you found the correct answer.

I do not really object to receiving the appropriate points for the answer by clicking on the button below the post. Makes that lobster lunch with Bill more likely.

• 10. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>doesn't want to lose it by re-formatting to NTFS

Go to this link and search for CONVERT FAT32 NTFS

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

The CONVERT command does just that... and nothing at all is lost

• 11. Re: PPro CS4 Captures only part of tape
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Makes that lobster lunch with Bill more likely.

Hunt