5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 8:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Where is "Import Project"?

OsakaWebbie Level 1

Call me blind, but although I see lots of references on these forums and elsewhere on the Internet to the ability to import one PPro project into another (in my case I just need one sequence and one bin of assets, but I understand it's all or nothing - that's fine), I don't see how to do that in my installation, nor do I see any reference to it in my Help files.  I do have a File -> Import menu item, but PPro projects are not among the list of supported file types.  I have CS3 - I would have assumed all the references were to a new feature in CS4, but many of the forums posts and such clearly predate CS4.  Can someone remove the scales from my eyes?

• 1. Re: Where is "Import Project"?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

File>Import and navigate to the correct .PRPROJ file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Where is "Import Project"?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if you only want one Sequence, I'd open the original Project and do a Save_As, maybe naming it [Project Name]_Edit. Delete all unnecessary Sequences, and then go to Project>Remove Unused to clean things up. Do a Save (remember, you did a Save_As to a different file name), and Import that "edited" Project into your new one. Keeps things a lot neater.

Remember, to Dbl-click on the Timeline of that Imported Project, to Open it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Where is "Import Project"?
              OsakaWebbie Level 1

Never mind - I was blind, as I suspected.  Project files are not part of "all supported media", which I initially thought would include all file extensions that were importable (normally when the first file type choice in a dialog like that is worded that way, it covers all files that can be opened by that dialog).  But project files are explicitly named farther down the list - I looked through the list the first time, but I didn't notice the scroll bar, so I thought I was looking at all possibilities.

• 4. Re: Where is "Import Project"?
                OsakaWebbie Level 1

Wow, both of your replies arrived while I was writing mine!  Yes, I had already done exactly what you suggested, making a project with only the stuff I needed to import.  I didn't bother describing that in my first post because it wasn't relevent to my question.

Karen, the village blind fool

• 5. Re: Where is "Import Project"?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen - great minds think alike! Glad that you got it sorted, and glad that you did your "housekeeping" before the Import. I like a neat Project Panel myself. After the "trimming" of the Project, to be Imported, the next thing that I do is break the Imported Project's Bins open and move the various Assets into the Bin structure of the new Project, deleting the old, empty Bins. There have been a few instances, where I wanted to retain the old Bin structure, but not that many. For me, it's all about being able to quickly find Assets, and having to drill down into an additional Bin structure is not that efficient for me.

Also, don't worry about not seeing those scroll bars. Depending on one's GUI setup, some can be very obscure. You ought to try working with PrElements sometimes. I have to get out a loupe to find some of that program's scroll bars.

Good luck,

Hunt