4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 12:10 PM by toddcoulson

Horizontal Menu right aligned

toddcoulson Level 1

I have seen this link:

http://dougmccune.com/blog/2007/01/25/vertical-menubar-component/

To allow for vertical menus, but how can we get a menu to align on the right side? My menu always fills the entire space, so calling right="10" does nothing, because the Menu fills the space anyway. I want the menu to be right aligned and fill the length of the menu. Does that make sense? Should I add onto what Doug has to build a menu that is horizontal and right?

TIA

• 1. Re: Horizontal Menu right aligned
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Actually, I cannot visualize what problem you are facing. Perhaps you can describe it again.

• 2. Re: Horizontal Menu right aligned
            toddcoulson Level 1

The menuBar component starts from the left in a container and fills in each item one by one from left to right. I want it to fill in items from left to right, but filling the space of the container from the right to the left. I looked at the MenuBar in design view and it fills the entire container, so when I add the property right="10" it doesn't place the menu items 10 pixels from the right side of the container, but instead stays left aligned.

<mx:ApplicationControlBar id="toolbar" width="100%" top="0" >
                 <mx:SWFLoader source="@Embed(skinClass='garmin_logo')" width="148" height="41"/>
                 <menu:MainMenu id="mainMenu" right="10" />
            </mx:ApplicationControlBar>

• 3. Re: Horizontal Menu right aligned
              Kenny Yates Level 2

Todd,

If I am understanding your dilema here, you want the menu to align right while the SWFLoader is left??

Or perhaps the everything in your Application Control Bar to align right.

I usually don't recommend using "right=10" or such.

Try wrapping your menu in a HBox this gives you the ability to use the horizontalAlign property to manipulate your menu's layout location.

<mx:ApplicationControlBar id="toolbar" width="100%">
                   <mx:SWFLoader source="@Embed(skinClass='garmin_logo')" width="148" height="41"/>

<mx:HBox width="100%" horizontalAlign="right">

<menu:MainMenu id="mainMenu"/>

<mx:HBox/>

</mx:ApplicationControlBar>

HTH,

Kenny Yates

• 4. Re: Horizontal Menu right aligned
                toddcoulson Level 1

That fixed the problem, thanks

Also, frankly, I have had more success with right, left, top, bottom than I have with horizontalAlign in the past. But that is just me.