5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 8:35 PM by Lost In My Mind

Stabalize Motion

Lost In My Mind Level 1

I shot some absolutely horrible footage this weekend of parasailing. The water was choppy, the boat was way fast, and the footage looks like it was shot by a drunken sailor! Being in the sky, there really are no reference points. I would basically like to be able to center the parasail in the frame. Is there a way to create a 'fake' stationary point or null object that I could then link to the parasail to so I could stabilize the motion?? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Stabalize Motion
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

Take a look on www.videocopilot.com - Andrew Kramer made a great video showing stabilizing.

• 2. Re: Stabalize Motion
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Lock on to the parasail itself, track it as a normal position. Then apply smoothing to the tracking data and invert it with some simple expressions:

X = -value[0]
            Y = -value[1]

You will never be able to get rid of the shaking entirely without proper tracking references, but with this little hack you can overlay a softer shake that somewhat counteracts the motion in the video and may make it more bearable to watch.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Stabalize Motion
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thanks David for the helpful link. There is a lot of great stuff there. Mylenium, thank you for posting as though I know more than I really do (my confidence could use a boost right about now!), but there were a couple of things I still don't understand. First, do I use 'Track Motion' or 'Stabilize Motion?' Do I then link that to a null object, and is that where I would Alt click the stopwatch under 'Position' and enter your expressions? Thank you both for taking the time to post.

• 4. Re: Stabalize Motion
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Simply Track Motion and choose any layer as target, then use The Smoother to even out things, then apply the expression. Parent the original layer to the smoothed version. Stabilize Motion would also work, of course, but has the disadvantage of already chnaging position properties in undesirable ways, which may be harder to control.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Stabalize Motion
                  Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Mylenium for clearing that up for me. Appreciate the help.