5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 2:04 AM by RogerPaine

Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)

emmaburge

Hi everyone

Im doing a course where I design a businesscard, i posted about that recently, but have been advised itd be better to do it in InDesign and this is a better program for designing for print.

The trouble is i dont have InDesign or the budget to buy it. I do have illustrator - is it possible to design for print using illustrator, and does it have the same features as Indesign?

What are the differences/limitations?

I also have a pogram called Scribus which is free but operates like Quark - would this be better to use?

Thanks for the help!

Emma

• 1. Re: Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Designing for print in the commercial world InDesign is a must know. I do more label and packaging work currently and Illustrator seems to dominate this sector. If it doesn't matter to the instructor what program you use to complete design work and you are working on a business card, I would stick with illustrator. But then again this is the Illustrator forum.

• 2. Re: Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Emma,

Illy is far superior to InDesign in terms of creative options. Therefore, Illustrator artwork is often used in InDesign documents.

The weakness of Illy is multiple pages.

So, for a business card there is no reason whatsoever for not working in Illy.

A page full of business cards may be printed from Illy at the printer, or by a PostScript printer, or saved as PDF for print, or it may be placed in an InDesign document. Still, Illy may do all the work, and she is always eager to help.

• 3. Re: Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)
              Jesseham Level 4

For one business card, I'd do it in Illustrator.  More flexibility.

For a series of business cards, I'd do art in Illustrator and text in InDesign.  Use master pages.

• 4. Re: Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jesseham wrote:

For one business card, I'd do it in Illustrator.  More flexibility.

For a series of business cards, I'd do art in Illustrator and text in InDesign.  Use master pages.

This would be a preference but in both AI and ID you can set up a template of of say four to six cards.

and populate the name and telephone fields with variables.

By making one and copying them either manually or by using the effect transform
                you then only have to update one set of variables to update all the copies on that page.

Either application can wrk the good thing about variables is you can have one document and many variations of the content in that document
                you can even generate an xml file and edit in that file to add new data sets which gives you the freedom of not selecting the text and typing and then selecting and typing and the selecting and typing.

If it is one business card and one version either will do.

• 5. Re: Designing for Print: Illustrator VS Indesign?? (Newbie..)
                  RogerPaine Level 1

anything that doesn't need tables or multi pages (even the latter is easier with AI CS4) I will do in Illustrator, If the layout has lots of repetetive elements I use IND for the tables. If it has multi pages IND is better because you can easilly set master pages.

Generally there is not much that you can do in IND that you cant do in Ai - just sometimes takes longer