16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 10:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Video Capture Question

AshPhoto

I have been a professional photographer for many years and am very familiar with other Adobe programs such as Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2.2. I recently started shooting HD Video and am using Premier Pro CS4 to capture, edit, and output the footage.

It appears that to capture footage from the video camera to the computer using Premier you must create a "Project" and then capture clips into that project. What I would like to do is capture clips into a "Clip Library" in my computer and then be able to use these clips in Premier Projects, sometimes using the same clip in various different projects. This would work similar to the Library in Adobe Lightroom or Camera Raw.

Is there a way to do this using Premier? If not, is there a capture program that will do that?

Thanks for your assistance

John

• 1. Re: Video Capture Question
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes you can do this with Premiere, the only thing you have to do is tell Premiere where to put the capture files before capturing.

Go to Project/Project Settings/Scratch Disk and set the Captured Video and Audio to that specific folder.

• 2. Re: Video Capture Question
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Ann you beat me to it by 2 minutes, I am glad I hit the browser update button.

• 3. Re: Video Capture Question
              AshPhoto Level 1

Ann - Thanks for your assistance. I knew there must be a way to do this somehow.

John

• 4. Re: Video Capture Question
                AshPhoto Level 1

Bill - Thanks for your help also!

John

• 5. Re: Video Capture Question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One can also use a stand-alone Capture program, like HDVSplit to do this. Some like its capabilities better than those in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video Capture Question
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd also like to throw out a resource, the PrPro-Wiki. The FAQ section is filled with great info and links to even more, while the Tutorial area has some great ones, especially to get started.

While there are some similarities between PrPro and PS, there are enough differences, that some guidelines might help you get started.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video Capture Question
                      Steve221 Level 1

I just downloaded and used HDVsplit to try to get HD into PP CS4 for the first time.  It only outputs to and m2t file that premier Pro can't import (I am not using the trial version).  I've used Media Encorder to export it to other (presumably HD) formats but I can't pull anything into PPro.

While looking for HD capture in the CS4 help I found:

"Capturing HD video

You can capture audio and video from an HD device with an SDI port. Your computer must have a supported SDI capture card, and its drivers and software installed."

I can use the 'capture' window to get SD from my XH-A1s but nothing when trying to capture HD.  I'm assuming the SDI card is the reason which is why I tried HDVsplit with no luck.

What export settings should I use to convert the m2t files with Media Encoder.  (I can view the m2t files fine in Windows Media Player)

• 8. Re: Video Capture Question
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Capture HD means uncompressed HD and does requires a HD-SDI capture card. Capturing HDV is compressed and uses fire wire. Two completely different things.

Tell us exactly the steps you took to import your clips, because I have never had any problem in CS3, CS4 or CS5 with HDVSplit material. It should import without any problem, unless your PR installation is not correct. In that case a reinstall may be your best option.

• 9. Re: Video Capture Question
                          Steve221 Level 1

thanks Harm....

HD vs HDV:  If I understand what I read, true uncompressed HD will not fit on a DV tape which is why recording it direct to disk via SDI capture card (with On-Location?) is needed.  HDV which is compressed and only slightly inferior to HD and higher resolution than SD can be transfer from DV tape via firewire to HDVsplit.  Is my Canon XH-A1s only capable of HDV?

To answer your import question:

I created an m2t file with HDVsplit without preview on.  I assume it's a good file because it plays in other programs and looks great.

Created a new project in PPro CS4  v4.2.1 (non-trial version).  "Import..."  browse to m2t file.  "file import error", "file format not supported".  Same with mpg files (m2t file converted with Media Encoder) "Unsupported format or damaged file", again file plays fine in other programs.

Hopefully a reinstall is not necessary but I do have problems with dynamic link between PPro and Encore.  'Not responding', locking etc. about 50% of the time.

• 10. Re: Video Capture Question
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Is my Canon XH-A1s only capable of HDV?

Yes. You would need the G1 for HD-SDI out.

These import problems and the DL problems point to a faulty or corrupted installation. I would reinstall:

1. Deactivate

2. Uninstall

3. Run Clean Script CS5

4. Reboot

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 twice

6. Install

7. Activate

8. Update

• 11. Re: Video Capture Question
                              Steve221 Level 1

Sounds like a plan.

Do you recommend uninstalling/reinstalling the whole CS4 suite or just PPro (and maybe Encore)?

• 12. Re: Video Capture Question
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

I would do the whole thing. It does not take much longer, and you can be sure that everything works again as it should.

Maybe the first step should be to run CCleaner and clean up, including the registry and then start all the steps.

• 13. Re: Video Capture Question
                                  Steve221 Level 1

Well, I got as far as #3 "Run Clean Script CS5".

A required component, "Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe)" is no longer available from MS.  They sugguest I contact the software mfg. for install/uninstall support.

I guess I'll just skip this step or run Ccleaner again.

• 14. Re: Video Capture Question
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You could try to download it here: http://www.filestube.com/m/msicuu2+exe+download

Microsoft took it off line because of some problems with Office, something not relevant for editors.

• 15. Re: Video Capture Question
                                      Steve221 Level 1

I never did use Clean Script CS5 ( or msicuu2.exe) but the reinstall worked anyway.

I can now import m2t files and the MPG.  Time will tell if it fixed the dynamic Link too.

THANKS HARM!!

• 16. Re: Video Capture Question
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for reporting the good news!

Good luck, that all will work perfectly from now on.

Hunt