11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 2:55 PM by Jim_Simon

Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I see a vertical division between a slightly darker at left and a brighter more correct colour movie at right.

Its not on the input files which started life as mpg and were converted to avi as far as I recall for better compatability with Premiere. Stopping one at the same point as the output file and comparing the two same parts of the footage, the output is making the left 6/10's a bit darker. Also viewing the end result after burning using TMPGencDVDAuthoringWorks on a TV, the left 6/10's is darker. This didnt happen the first time I created this movie. Now I come to make another disc and point the prompts to find the lost linked footage, and find it all, but for one file, I get this anomaly. The missing avi file doesnt seem to exist on my pc, and the movie plays fine without it.

Whats the reason behind the darker portion of my footage ? Its on various clips in the movie that once were mpg but not all of them. I see one where its a horizontal difference unlike the vertical difference of most.

Envirographics

• 1. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you measure this with a colorimeter on a properly calibrated external monitor? If not, do that first and then post the test results.

Second, consider that your source material was originally in delivery format, unsuited for editing. Use better source material.

• 2. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you do a screen-cap with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) parked over the Clip that exhibits this behavior. Please show the Program Monitor and also the full Timeline. I'd also display the Effects Control Panel with it open for that Clip (Clip does need to be Selected). This might tip off someone.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - use the little "camera" icon on the bottom-middle row of the Toolbar on the forum editing screen to attach the JPG.

• 3. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
              envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I can easily see this with the naked eye, not sure if buying a colorimeter is going to be more convincing for me or anyone on what I can see.

Attached a printscreen of what it looks like. I did a 5x5px sample of the same position in original and output footage, notice the colour picker differences.

At the end of the day though it looks bad, for me thats enough. My monitor is a correctly calibrated (Spyder 3 ) unit for video editing costing a fortune by the way. As is the TV on which this is evident. On the same TV a year ago it looked fine.

Just wish to know why its like this, this second time around, first time a year ago when this was created the output was devoid of such a problem. Now that I find the project and link to the missing files successfully, I get this result...why ?

There was no means of refilming the footage that started life as mpg, I normally stick to avi but this is what was supplied to me !  It worked ok first time note.

What should I do to correct this ?  I just need to produce for my client another master dvd as he lost the other one.

Envirographics.

• 4. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the screen-cap is queued. That could take an hour, or a week. That is why I suggested the little camera icon. It does it instantly.

We'll look at the screen-cap to see if there is anything evident there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                  envirographics Level 1

Hi, have done that, doing the effects tab, I see a reason...Fast colour corrector Output Composite with Show Split View ticked Layout Vertical and 61.29% for Split view Perc...
                  If I untick this the darker left 6/10's goes now across the entire image. In fact I prefer the less dark rhs.
                  If I turn off fast colour corector the output goes the better rhs but now full width. guess I need it off then.
                  I dont see the advantage of having this colour corrector on if it lessens the pic quality but at 60% across the screen.
                  This is as it came when installed.

With this left as it came out of the box, this 61.29% gets to be made into the final DVD ! One was horiz though, as if it had been selected as such, but I dont recall doing so.

Di I have to select every clip and turn this colour corrector off ? Actually some clips are somewhat over saturated so perhaps its useful for those ?

The screenie is full size, though this camera icon has stuffed it into my message, hope you guys and gals can see it bigger.

Envirographicsscreenie.jpg

• 6. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Shows fine, when I do a Save_As and stick it into PS.

However, you beat me to the punch. The Split View is the difference. Now, you can use the Fast Color Corrector to match the two halves to your taste. If you need more density work, use Levels.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW that is just the display of the Fast Color Corrector. Turn that Split off to see the full effect.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added the BTW comment

• 7. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

That split view is fairly certainly the cause of this issue.  It's meant only for comparison purposes.  Turn it off for export.

• 8. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                        envirographics Level 1

Hi,

the_wine_snob wrote

However, you beat me to the punch. The Split View is the difference. Now, you can use the Fast Color Corrector to match the two halves to your taste. If you need more density work, use Levels.

I am not understanding the match two halves bit. Without this function on the two halves do match, with it on its giving a preview I guess of before and after the effects of the function, though that preview gets to be made into the dvd    Its not like part of my scene neds making darker to match the other part. Can you explain better what you meant please ?

Do I need to disable this function for each and every clip if I dont want it or is there a global setting that does it all in one click ?

Jin Simon wrote:

It's meant only for comparison purposes.  Turn it off for export.

I wish by default the preview mode didnt carry through to the end product and get made into a dvd. I dont see why anyone would want that. To have to go through all the effects tabs for all the clips and ensure previews are off is a pain is it not ? Miss one and output spoilt.

Envirographics.

• 9. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I am not understanding the match two halves bit. Without this function on the two halves do match, with it on its giving a preview I guess of before and after the effects of the function, though that preview gets to be made into the dvd   Its not like part of my scene neds making darker to match the other part. Can you explain better what you meant please ?

The Split Screen is to help you with the application of the Color Corrector (before vs after). When you are satisfied, turn it OFF. Then, Export without it. Use it as a preview, kind of like Variations in Photoshop.

[Edit]

Sorry, I missed this part:

Do I need to disable this function for each and every clip if I dont want it or is there a global setting that does it all in one click ?

Yes. Use this to set your Color Correction, and then turn it OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added [Edit]

• 10. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not Jim, but will attempt to tackle this one:

I wish by default the preview mode didnt carry through to the end product and get made into a dvd. I dont see why anyone would want that. To have to go through all the effects tabs for all the clips and ensure previews are off is a pain is it not ? Miss one and output spoilt.

If one is outputting as an example for a client, or for a color grader, having the before vs after is useful. In your case it is not. That is why it should be turned OFF, as soon as you are through using it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Left 6/10 of output is a bit darker.
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              To have to go through all the effects tabs for all the clips and ensure previews are off is a pain is it not ?

It is.  That's why they're off by default.  You turned it on and forgot about it.