2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 9:27 PM by Gregory Lafrance

Pre-Newbie Question

dmperkins74

Hi gang,

First of all, please forgive me if I'm committing a faux pas by posting this here.

I'm quite adept at Flash but want to start looking into Flex. Any chance someone could sum up for me (in simple words, with few syllables) what the primary reasons are for using Flex over Flash arae... what sorts of projects would require Flex. I guess I'm looking to easily get "here's what flex does that flash doesn't, and vice versa." If there's a good link to check out instead, that's cool too.

Any input appreciated, thanks,

Dan P.

• 1. Re: Pre-Newbie Question
          Michael Borbor Level 4

It's very simple, Flex is intended for developers while the Flash Authoring

Tool is meant for designers. Even if you design pure AS3 projects Flex now

Flash Builder will be the tool of your choice. Also the Flex SDK offers a

great set of pre-built components to speed up your projects.

• 2. Re: Pre-Newbie Question
            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Flash is great for creating timeline based animations. Flex is great for creating event based applications.

You could do animations in Flex, and you could do applications in Flash, but you'll be better off in the tool that best suits the purpose.

Flash will continue to be hugely popular, but as more people leave Flash for building applications, and as the RIA (Rich Internet Application) space realizes its full potential in the next 3 - 5 years, Flex / AIR should become hugely popular, and thus expertise in these areas will be lucrative.

Some people ask what book to use in learning Flex. I always say use the Flex Builder help system. I read 3/5 of the help system twice, and have passed the Flex 2 and Flex 3 ACE exams.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=Part1_languages_1.html

This link is just the introductory material, but it will give you an initial understanding of the key constructs in Flex.

Continue after this section in the help system.

If this post answered your question or helped, please mark it as such.