7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 8:30 PM by the_wine_snob

importing project files into Premiere Elements 7

pominnz

I have created a new project, imported several video clips and then created a video. It was only at the point of creating the video that I reliased that I had not created the project with the correct settings.

Although the video looked fine in the editing window, the final video had black bars at the sides, and above above and below the video, and fairly think black bars. I've tried exporting as different formats, and changing the aspect ratio, but this has not helped. I've attached a jpeg of what the video looks like in Quicktime.

Other video editing software I have used, has the ability to change the project settings after it has been created, and give a warning to the user about possible problems they may encounter by doing so.

This does not appear to be the case with Adobe Premiere Elements 7, and it is extremely frustrating!!

One thing which appears to be possible with Premiere Pro, and was also available on other editing software I have used, is the ability to import projects.

So... does anyone know if it is possible to import a Premiere Elements 7 project file into Premiere Elements 7? The aim here is to create a project with the correct settings, and then import the existing project file into the timeline.

I've tried hacking the project file, which has improved the video slightly, but still not what I was expecting.

Cheers

Paul

• 1. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not allow for this. Its "big-brother," PrPro can do it, and can even Import PrE Project files, so long as nothing like Instant Movie, or Themes have been used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, your screen-cap is still queued. This can take from an hour to a week. For screen-caps, I highly recommend that one use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum editing screen's Toolbar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, while we're waiting for the screen-cap to come out of queue, please give us the full details of your existing Project. More detail is better. Next, please give us the details of your Assets. Again, more is better. If necessary, use G-Spot to gather all info on the files.

There might be something that can be done to improve things, as you will not be able to Import one Project into another. It might be as simple as Interpret Footage to rid the black bars.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
                pominnz Level 1

The main reason for me buying PrE was for editing HDV videos, so the default project settings when I created the new project were HDV 1080i 25fps 1440x1080, Aspect ration: 16:9.

But the details of the video clips I'm editing are as follows.

Mpeg Movie

704x576

Pixel depth: 704

Frame rate: 25

Pixel Aspect Ration: 1.09

I tried creating an HDV video, and at least that removed the back bars from the top and bottom of the video. The black bars at the sides is obviously caused by the difference in Aspect Ratio.

It would have been nice if there was someway of telling PrE that the video was 4:3 and that I want it to fill the whole area of the exported video.

I would have though this was a common problem. It's quite easy to start a project and forget to edit the settings before creating the project.

Cheers

Paul

• 5. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

First, you want your Project Prests to match perfectly, your Assets. It sounds as though they do not. I would start a new Project with the proper Presets. The Captured Clips will still be on your system, and will only need to be Imported (Get Media) into the new Project.

If you need help with your Assets, G-Spot will tell you all that you need to know, to set up your Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
                    pominnz Level 1

Yes, you're quite correct, the presets do not match the original clips I'm trying to edit.

The problem is, I've spent 3 hours editing the video, and I don't really want to start another project, and start all over again.

This problem should have been picked up by Adobe's test analyst during testing of the product.

• 7. Re: importing project files into Premiere Elements 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      This problem should have been picked up by Adobe's test analyst during testing of the product.

I am sorry, but I am not following you on this. There are Presets to match many media types. I am not at all sure how Adobe could anticipate that a user would choose the wrong one.

As I said, PrPro CS4 will both allow you to Import your .PREL (with the caveats mentioned), and work on the Project with Sequence settings to match. Unfortunately, PrE is a much less sophisticated and expensive program, than is PrPro CS4.

I'd be happy to Import your file, in PrPro with the proper Presets, but the rub would be that PrE cannot Open .PRPROJ files, so you still could not edit it.

Sorry, but the first rule of any NLE is to establish Presets that match one's Assets. PrPro CS4 (not before that version) allows one to cover their mistakes a bit, but there is still some work getting the improperly set Sequence's material into a new, properly set Sequence.

If you have access to PrPro CS4, and can finish your Project there, that would be the best. Next would be to create a New Project with the proper Presets and chalk up the lost time as a learning experience.

Sorry ot bear the bad news.

Good luck,

Hunt