5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 3:26 PM by Shadreck Rukweza

Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?

awFilms Level 1

hey guys...

i recently bought a Canon XHA1 and ive been uploading my footage with premiere pro CS3.Im using Windows.

Ive been uploading using DV-PAL widescreen 32khz but i dont think its uploading HD am i correct??

so today i tried the HDV 1080i30 preset and i started uploading footage... it seems like the file is sooo large like when i tried to play to footage it would hardly play?is that because im low on memory on my computer or what?

Also what is the way you guys export the videos once you are done? i am having a lot of problems and dont know what settings to use...

HELP ME. IM A NOOB!!!!

• 1. Re: Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

First you need to know what your souce video is.   Your cam can record SD or HDV.  And if HDV it can be progressive, interlaced or 24F.

Then when you create a new sequence in Pr; choose a preset that matches your source.

As far as exporting; what are you exporting for?  Web, DVD, BluRay?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

In other words, with a camera like that and software like Premiere, one really should be a well trained/educated professional before one attempts to do the job.

• 3. Re: Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?
              awFilms Level 1

ahhh okay i was just playing with different upload stuff to see which one would work best.

im exporting for the web... like vimeo.

i just need help with exporting and whats like good settings to export... ive been playing around and still havent found one that i like or that works super good!

• 4. Re: Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?
                pixel8er

to capture:

check your settings on your canon XHA1 1st

you want to match your capture settings. it would be nice if adobe had a preset for canon xha1 but they don't.

click file. capture.

a capture window will open and to the right you will see 2 tabs logging and settings.

NOTE: on cs3 HDV will not show playback and i believe scene detect doesn't work as well.

in logging you can name your clip and so on...

click on the settings tab

capture format should say HDV because that is what your camera is.

capture locations is where you set your project to a folder on your hard drive.

Device Control

device should be DV/HDV Device Control.

click options just below.

video standard PAL uk and NTSC usa

device brand CANON

device type STANDARD ( this is where i think adobe needs to all XHA1 )

timecode format auto detect

check status should be ONLINE

click ok

click on the logging tab and then click on TAPE to capture.

now to export...

i use...

format: H.264

click on the video tab

1920 x 1080

frame rate: 29.97

field order: Progressive

aspect: square pixels

tv standard NTSC or PAL

profile main: main

Level: 4.1

Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 2 pass

then click export and wait many hours.

i know there has to be a better setting....

with other settings i noticed the video separates on movements.

if anyone knows a better capture and export settings please share.

ABOBE this is your FORM dont you guys read this???

• 5. Re: Canon XHA1 HDV Capturing/exporting Problems!!! what preset to use and whatnot?
                  Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

awFilms wrote:

ahhh okay i was just playing with different upload stuff to see which one would work best.

im exporting for the web... like vimeo.

i just need help with exporting and whats like good settings to export... ive been playing around and still havent found one that i like or that works super good!

If your camcorder was new, you should sit down and read the manual on how to use it in HD and SD first. If you don't have the manual, you can download it on Canon's website. When you have completed reading the user guide about operating the camcorder, go ahead and search for some video tutorials about using the Canon XH A1. There are plenty of those, because I used to watch them following my purchase of those two cameras.

After understanding your camera, you need some video tutorials which you can see on Adobe TV about getting started in Premiere Pro or Lynda.com, Video brain etc. You may need to understand terms like "capture" when digitising your footage from XH A1 via a firewire cable or IEE1394 port.

Hope this helps.