6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 3:48 PM by JenonDenman

JenonDenman

JenonDenman

I have Adobe Reader 8.  Recently I have downloaded some pdf files that are protected by a 'password', therefore I cannot open them. I do not know how to get a pass word. Do I need to upgrade to Adobe 9?  Will this effect my other files?

• 1. Re: JenonDenman
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The file is password protected. You cannot open the file without the password. This will not effect other files.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: JenonDenman
            JenonDenman Level 1

Thanks Michael for your speedy reply.  I have been reading on the Adobe site and I figured that much.  I buy knitting patterns and crochet patterns at a cost and I download and print them.  I 'save them to My Documents', some of the older ones I can bring up and print again but it has been just recently that the new ones will not allow me to view them.  I know you can get password breaker software.  Do you think it is a good practise to have such software in your computer? Thanks again.  JenonDenman.

• 3. Re: JenonDenman
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JenonDenman wrote:

I know you can get password breaker software.  Do you think it is a good practise to have such software in your computer?

Of course it isn't good practice.

If you are purchasing these patterns then you should be getting a password from the folks that are selling them to you. If you are stealing them then you don't have any right to a password.

• 4. Re: JenonDenman
                JenonDenman Level 1

Yes I have to agree with you.  I am buying the patterns.  The only thing is, there is absolutely no information in the file about which pattern it is or where I bought it. They are filed under knitting and crochet patterns and thats as far as it goes. What should I ask before I purchase any future patterns?

• 5. Re: JenonDenman
                  ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should ask for the password and write it down somewhere. That way you have it later when you want to open the file.

• 6. Re: JenonDenman
                    JenonDenman Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I will give it a go.  If it works I'll send you a message.