12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2008 7:39 PM by David Borrink

Table not showing up in browser in correct position

David Borrink
      I've tried adding vallign="top" to the code, but a three cell table placed in a content column is showing up 2 to 3 inches too low when viewed in a browser (I've tried Firefox and IE). Is there a different code to force a table to the top of a content area? Or is the content area needing a code change?
        • 1. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
          Level 7
          On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:47:55 +0000 (UTC), "David Borrink"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I've tried adding vallign="top" to the code, but a three cell table placed in a
          >content column is showing up 2 to 3 inches too low when viewed in a browser
          >(I've tried Firefox and IE). Is there a different code to force a table to the
          >top of a content area? Or is the content area needing a code change?

See my other message about posting website address
          --

~Malcolm~*...
          ~*
          • 2. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
            Level 7

"Malcolm _" <malcom@mon.org> wrote in message
            news:7su5949v883a9h8n80a91v0am29474luhl@4ax.com...
            > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:47:55 +0000 (UTC), "David Borrink"
            > <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
            >
            >>I've tried adding vallign="top" to the code, but a three cell table placed
            >>in a
            >>content column is showing up 2 to 3 inches too low when viewed in a
            >>browser
            >>(I've tried Firefox and IE). Is there a different code to force a table to
            >>the
            >>top of a content area? Or is the content area needing a code change?
            >
            > See my other message about posting website address

Easier to type "URL?", isn't it? :-)

--
            Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
            --

• 3. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
              Level 7
              On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:43:34 -0400, "P@tty Ayers ~ACE"
              <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote:

>
              >Easier to type "URL?", isn't it? :-)
              >
              you've just done it - yes

but look at the Forum if you will

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=12&catid=189&flcache=5 202937

and you may see that the two messages are next to each other - they
              were when I did it, and as we are seeing the message has other posts
              and is there for other newbies to see.

:-))
              --

~Malcolm~*...
              ~*
              • 4. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                Level 7

news:6d5694hk8gumk5pljrrp0j6chrbdmn73b2@4ax.com...

> ...and you may see that the two messages are next to each other - they
                > were when I did it, and as we are seeing the message has other posts
                > and is there for other newbies to see.

I appreciate your good intentions, but I think you'll find that this is as
                useful as, um, whatever it was that Don Quixote was doing to those
                windmills. :-D

--
                --

• 5. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                  Level 7
                  On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:29:52 -0400, "P@tty Ayers ~ACE"
                  <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote:

>
                  >"Malcolm _" <malcom@mon.org> wrote in message
                  >news:6d5694hk8gumk5pljrrp0j6chrbdmn73b2@4ax.com...
                  >
                  >> ...and you may see that the two messages are next to each other - they
                  >> were when I did it, and as we are seeing the message has other posts
                  >> and is there for other newbies to see.
                  >
                  >I appreciate your good intentions, but I think you'll find that this is as
                  >useful as, um, whatever it was that Don Quixote was doing to those
                  >windmills. :-D
                  >

I know - I know - :-)

I happened to be in the Forum - ( that's rare - as I use Forte Agent )
                  so did it on a whim - as it were :-D

--

~Malcolm~*...
                  ~*
                  • 6. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                    Level 7

news:vt8694lr4upr97cqmj6p3g1qcv3kpabntb@4ax.com...
                    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:29:52 -0400, "P@tty Ayers ~ACE"
                    > <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote:
                    >
                    >>
                    >>"Malcolm _" <malcom@mon.org> wrote in message
                    >>news:6d5694hk8gumk5pljrrp0j6chrbdmn73b2@4ax.com...
                    >>
                    >>> ...and you may see that the two messages are next to each other - they
                    >>> were when I did it, and as we are seeing the message has other posts
                    >>> and is there for other newbies to see.
                    >>
                    >>I appreciate your good intentions, but I think you'll find that this is as
                    >>useful as, um, whatever it was that Don Quixote was doing to those
                    >>windmills. :-D
                    >>
                    >
                    > I know - I know - :-)
                    >
                    > I happened to be in the Forum - ( that's rare - as I use Forte Agent )
                    > so did it on a whim - as it were :-D

Understandable! I've just seen so many efforts over the years to get new
                    posters to toe this or that line - and it never, ever works. So I couldn't
                    help but say something!

--
                    --

• 7. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                      David Borrink Level 1
                      Sorry about that, everyone. I should know better than ask general questions when code would help.

Here is the URL for the page, it's not public, yet. But this will give you the code.

http://www.albertakatherine.com/akm-live.html

Again, I don't understand why the conference "ad" is not up closer to the content title and date. It should be about a half inch below, not 2 inches. And in Dreamweaver, it's fine.

I tried using valign="top" in the code, but that doesn't seem to pull it up. I'm starting to understand this program better, but I must be missing something.

Thanks for your advice, anyone.

David

• 8. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                        David Borrink Level 1
                        I also should add that the left band with graphics is in it's own cell, with another cell below. The right side is one long cell. The content in the "sidebar" is not resting at the top of the table. I added a filler graphic in the lower left cell to force the left side up, but something isn't working.

I know enough of this program to get me around but somehow I need some advice to force these up to the top of the cells. Then I wouldn't need a split left cell to try and force the sidebar up to the top.
                        • 9. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                          Level 7
                          On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:48:10 +0000 (UTC), "David Borrink"

>Sorry about that, everyone. I should know better than ask
                          >general questions when code would help.
                          >
                          > Here is the URL for the page, it's not public, yet. But this will give you the
                          >code.
                          >
                          > http://www.albertakatherine.com/akm-live.html
                          >

<style type="text/css">

td img {display: block;}
                          @import url("file:///D|/cozzasllc/body.css");
                          </style>

We can't see the page correctly as this body.css file is not on the
                          server.
                          --

~Malcolm~*...
                          ~*
                          • 10. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                            David Borrink Level 1
                            Malcolm,

Interesting. That's a reference to the D drive at the previous web developer's computer. I inherited this site from my client. So that file is not available. I have a "body.css" file on the server. In code below, I'm refering to what you noted, but I also see a reference for the body.css file I have uploaded. Shouldn't all my pages be able to use what I have in the body.css file and not the one on the D drive at the previous developer? Perhaps I need to change that reference so that it goes right to the "body.css" on the server.

I'm new with css on DW, though I'm very familiar with hand-coding it in WordPress.

• 11. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                              Level 7
                              On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:47:15 +0000 (UTC), "David Borrink"

>Malcolm,
                              >
                              > Interesting. That's a reference to the D drive at the previous web developer's
                              >computer. I inherited this site from my client. So that file is not available.
                              >I have a "body.css" file on the server. In code below, I'm refering to what you
                              >noted, but I also see a reference for the body.css file I have uploaded.
                              >Shouldn't all my pages be able to use what I have in the body.css file and not
                              >the one on the D drive at the previous developer? Perhaps I need to change that
                              >reference so that it goes right to the "body.css" on the server.
                              >
                              > I'm new with css on DW, though I'm very familiar with hand-coding it in
                              >WordPress.
                              >

well it's absolutely 0% useful to refer to a file on another computer,
                              so copy the css to a file that you do load up onto the web site server

--

~Malcolm~*...
                              ~*
                              • 12. Re: Table not showing up in browser in correct position
                                David Borrink Level 1
                                I figured out a solution, and it involved pasting another table from another page. I removed/added cells as needed and moved my content, and it worked. I'm not sure what was wrong to begin with but the situation is solved.

I'm not sure why a reference to a D drive on the original developer's computer would be needed on the site, since it doesn't give a full URL to her computer, but the site was working fine, so I'll just move on with it. Thanks for being willing to look at this.