17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 8:02 AM by chcoutreach

Memory Allocation Error

Belatamas Level 1

Hi There

I have a “Memory Allocation Error” message when I tried to burn my latest DVD.

I use Premier Elements 7.  I have burned DVD before without any problem.  My latest PE Project is about 58 minutes long, which is the same as most of my others.  It has ‘movie’ clips (AVIs) from my camcorder, some still shots, titles and music. 

After the project was finished, I defragmented my “E” drive, which is 400 GB, has 186 GB free space.  E drive only contains Project related files and is a separate physical drive.  Since finishing my project I also increased my RAM from 1.5 GB to 3GB. 

When I tried to burn my project to disk, at the end of ‘encoding’ it came up with the “Memory Allocation Error” message.  I tried to burn it twice, but I received the same message on both occasions.

I had a look at the questions and responses in the Forum but they do not seem to cover my predicament.  

Can anyone shed any light as to why this may now be occurring?  Could ‘uninstalling and reinstall PE7 help? 

Thanks in advance

Tom

• 1. Re: Memory Allocation Error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First ensure that your "E" drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32. (FAT32 drives have a file size limit that will choke many video editing processes.) To check, open My Computer, right-click on the drive and select Properties.

If the drive is formatted NTFS, check two other things:

1) What type of camcorder (miniDV, DVD, analog, still camera) did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

2) Are you still images no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Memory Allocation Error
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, with Memory Allocation errors, I'd check:

1.) that the full 3GB of new RAM is seen properly in the BIOS - if you do not have your POST display at boot, go to Setup and check the BIOS settings. While there, check the HDD's in the BIOS, as well. Sometimes, these will be set only in the OS, and the installer will forget to set them in the BIOS.

2.) that the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) is set to account for this increase in RAM

3.) that you do not have any programs, or Processes, that load at boot, that could be getting in the way of PrE and its memory usage. Many of these programs and Processes are totally unnecessary. You can see a list of these, if you go to Task Manager and click on the Processes tab (not the Applications tab). How many do you have loaded? Some are necessary, but I'd bet that many are not and either came loaded on your computer, or were added by programs that you have installed and seldom actually use. These can be pretty shoddy, especially how they report their Memory usage to Windows. Personally, I have removed most of these unnecessary Processes via MSCONFIG, and then use a utility to temporarily remove the rest, when I edit. I also highly recommend that one turn off all Anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spy sweeping programs, when they edit, plus any screensavers and power management utilities in the OS. NOTE: with the AV, pop-up blocking and spy sweeping programs turned OFF, one CANNOT have any Internet presence, while editing. No Web browsing, no e-mails no instant messaging! I'm behind a very good hardware firewall, and when this stuff is OFF, I am only editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Memory Allocation Error
              Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt and Steve

Many thanks for your suggestions.  I have checked all of them and they all seem to be OK.  Since then I have tried to burn another one of my projects, and it was successful. Then I tried to burn the offending project again, call it PEX, but the result was the same as before. It seemed to bomb out at the 95% mark when it went from coding media to ‘Compiling Media’.  The message was the same as before ie. – ‘Memory allocation error’.  Since the I have gone into Control Panel, Add/Remove program and then chose to ‘repaired’ PE 7 after which I burnet my PEX again but it suffered exactly the same fate, at the same point, ie 95%, as before. 

I have checked all my used videos and still images for size, and as far as I can tell, they seem to be OK.  I do have some .bmp-s but they seem to be the result of inserting ‘freeze frames’ into the videos. The only other thing I noticed is that I have a ‘Folder’ shown under Edit-Project-Name, (the Edit Workspace), but it is not shown as ‘used’. When I click on the folder it shows two clips, which are also listed in the Edit Workspace, but neither of them is shown as used.

Is there any way I can trace the offending part in the project?

Can I dissect the project into smaller, say 10-15 minutes segments and ‘Share’ them under “Personal Computer – Export files for viewing on computer’ without jeopardising the quality and subsequently assemble them together under another project name?

Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom   

• 4. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best way to troubleshoot a DVD burn is to break it down into its individual steps and see where it's failing.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

95% through is a strange place to fail. By then the DVD files themselves are probably done being encoded, and the program is just writing the files. So it could be that the problem is with the software connection to your DVD drive. Burning to a folder on your hard drive, per the article I linked you to, will prove if that's the case.

• 5. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Can I dissect the project into smaller, say 10-15 minutes segments and ‘Share’ them under “Personal Computer – Export files for viewing on computer’ without jeopardising the quality and subsequently assemble them together under another project name?

Yes you can. This is a good way to troubleshoot a Project. You can use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to set the "segment" of the Project to Export. I would do this as a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. In a worst-case scenario, you can then bring these into a new Project. Note: you will have all of your existing edits now in this complete file. Breaking apart those original edits is a real task, but with a lot of hard work, some can be redone. I'd get a close to complete, as I could, before I did this, expcept as a test, and a backup. Look for logical breaks, such as a Dip-to-Black section. If you find that one "segment" will not Export properly, you likely have found the area that you have a problem with. I would continue with any remaining "segments," just to make sure that you only have one problem.

Once done, I'd go back to that one "bad segment," and begin to study it very closely.

If all "segments" do Export fine, I would create a new Project, and Import those Exported files. Assemeble them, add any necessary Soundtracks, etc. and Burn that new Project to DVD. If the Burn to Disc fails, try a Burn to Folder, planning on using something like the excellent little freeware program, ImgBurn, to physically Burn the Project to DVD-Video.

Here's a look at setting the WAB:

PE_WAB_Rendering_03.jpg

Good luck, and please let us know what you find with the Project,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                    Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt and Steve

An update on the progress.

The end result is that by following Steve’s 2nd steps in his ‘How can I work through a Burn DVD problem?’ suggestion, my ordeal has ended.  But not without trying everything else for four days.  

I tried all the suggestions you two gave me in your responses.  I first burnt one half and then the second to see where the problem resided, and I continued along that line until I got to the ten minute mark, using the ‘black’ space suggested.  However, once I got down to the five minute segments of a ten minute segment that failed. Both five minute segments burnt OK.  I retried it several times without any success. 

I even ‘removed’ my Premier Elements 7 and reinstalled it, but without any success. 

I even tried to create a ‘pure’ AVI, which I sent to a folder, from where I retrieved into a new project.  Whilst it worked, the quality was much inferior to one that I burnt straight onto a DVD from PE7.

I should mention that Steve you were correct, as the  problem at 95% was with the burner.  At 95, the sequence went ‘Encoding Media”  then ‘Compiling Media’ then ‘Memory allocation error’. It seemed to indicate that my Nero burner somehow interfered with PE7 burner.

I then went into MSCONFIG and ‘unchecked’ Nero, even that did not help.  After all that I tried to burn the file to a ‘folder’ from there, using Nero, to a DVD.  AND IT DID WORK!!

Finally, I have my DVD.  What is curious isr, that of the four one hour tapes I used to create my DVDs, each about an hour of various places, three worked without any problem but this last one did not.  I examined each clip use, but could not see anything unusual.  So I still do not know what caused the problem.

My only problem now, that as a result of reinstalling my PE7 I lost my Title Text Styles.  They are all gone.  If either of you can help me with that I would be grateful or if you wish I could start a new thread.

Many thanks for all you help and suggestions so far.  They have been most appreciated.

Best wishes

Tom

• 7. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom:

Whilst it worked, the quality was much inferior to one that I burnt straight onto a DVD from PE7.

This should not have occurred, if you chose DV-AVI Type II as the Export setting. That will be 99.9% identical to what you have on the Timeline. It should actually be far better than anything burned to DVD, because to burn a DVD-Video, one must first Transcode the DV-AVI Type II (on the Timeline) to MPEG-2, which greatly compresses the material.

Something is not right, and it's probably the Export settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I lost my Title Text Styles.  They are all gone.

The first thing that I would do is open Windows Explorer (My Computer), and look in the location, where PrE is installed. Unless you changed something, it is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements, or very similar. I have a separate Adobe folder, where all of my Adobe programs are installed, so my Path will likely be different.

Now, look down the folder list within PrE's hierarchy and find Presets. Within it should be Logos, Styles, Templates, Text Animations and Textures (maybe more, or less, as I have PrE 4). In Styles, I have a file, default.prsl. That is the default Styles file, and mine is 13,041 KB and the File Type is Adobe Premiere Style. Yours, if you have it, will probably be larger, because you have PrE 7. If this file is there, then it should be loading. If it is missing, then a Repair Install should add it.

Let's check for its existance first. If the Styles folder is empty, then do a search of your system for "default.prsl" (without the quotation marks), to make sure that it did not get installed someplace else.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                          Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt

Many thanks for your response.  The quality I received was about 75-80%

of what I received with burning straight onto DVD.  In my previous

version, PE3 I did have an opportunity to adjust the setting.  But this

PE7 version I do not seem to be able to do that.  In the ‘Share’ panel I

have option to ‘share’ 1 – Disk; 2 – On Line; 3 – Personal Computer; 4 –

Mobile Phone; and finally 5 – Tape.  I chose ‘Personal Computer’ where

the panel provides options for MPEG, DV AVI or Windows Media.  I pick DV

AVI. Once I pick that the ‘Advance’ setting disappears and the only

options I have under ‘Presets’ DV NTSC Standard; DV NTSC Wide Screen; DV

PAL Standard, and DV PAL Widescreen.  As I use PAL, I pick DV PAL

Standard.  There are no further options to choose from.  It may be that

I am missing something, but I do not see anything else where I can set a

better standard.  If I have missed something, please let me know.

Kind regards

Tom

• 10. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I pick DV PAL Standard.  There are no further options to choose from.  It may be that I am missing something, but I do not see anything else where I can set a better standard.  If I have missed something, please let me know.

You have missed nothing. The DVD-spec is very strict. Other than NTSC, or PAL, and 16:9, or 4:3 (for each of the former), there are not real "Advanced Settings." What you see is what you get. Like I said, the DVD-spce. is very strict. There are no real settings, other than mentioned here previously.

It would be like a situation where Bently had four autos. One would be a red NTSC 4:3, another would be a green NTSC 16:9, the next would be a blue PAL 4:3 and the last would be a black PAL 16:9. If you choose a Bently NTSC 4:3, you get the red one. It is that simple.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                              Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt

I did what you suggested and I found under Style a folder called

“Thumbnails”.  When I clicked on it, all the text styles were visible.

The property value showed – Size 265 KB (272,363 bytes); Size on Disk

604 KB (618,496 bytes); Containing 118 files, 0 Folders.  Attributes –

Read Only; Advanced Attributes -  the box ticked for ‘For Fast searching

Index Services to Index this folder’.

I then uninstalled  PE7 using the original disk.  Previously I used

Windows add/Remove program.  I then reinstalled it but I still did not

have Text Style.  A quick search on the Forum side found this response

by Paul_LS

"Try this. Open the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\My

Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0\Styles In this folder is one file

named workingset.prsl. Re-name this file workingset.old.prsl Start up

Premier Elements 3.0 and go into the titles workspace. The text styles

should re-appear. Renaming this file should restore the default

workingset file which restores the titler styles."

As it referred to PE3 I just renamed my Thumbnails by adding .prsl after

it, i.e. “Thumbnaisl.prsl”.  It still does not work.  Should I in fact

try to rename the “Thumbnails” to what is suggested above i.e..

workingset.old.prsl?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom

• 12. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt

Further to my previous message, probing further in the “Style” folder, I noticed that when I click on “Style” it shows a ‘folder’ called ‘Thumbnail’ underneath.  But it also shows three other ‘files’ (?) as well.  They are “default” – no “prsl” extension, "Adobe Premier Style" – and the size is 13,041KB.  I also have a ‘DefaultCrawlTitle’ – again no extension and showing “Adobe Premier Title” size 56 KB and finally “DefaultRollTitle” Adobe Premier Title and size 212 KB.

I have even reinstalled ‘Adobe Premier Elements 7 Templates only but without any success.  I do not understand why a complete uninstall/reinstall would not solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

• 13. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I would follow that article by Paul_LS to the letter. It should work fine.

Now, let's talk about those Thumbnails. They are just that. They are the depictation of the Styles, the little examples of two letters, with that Style applied. They are NOT the actual Styles - just a little picture to display. You should not need to do anything with those .PNG "Thumbnail" files, and just leave them where they are, unchanged.

It is the actual default.prsl file, and then how it's called up (Paul_LS's article), that you are concerned with. The Tumbnails should follow along.

If you have the default.prsl file in the PE\Presets\Styles folder (or similar for PrE 7), and your settings point to that file, things should be good to go.

One thing that I would look into first, would be to go to Window>Reset Workspace (this might not be the exact syntax for PrE 7, as I am working with PrE 4). That reverts all changes to the Workspace to the default installation form. Whenever I "loose" something in PrPro's Workspace, I go back to either the default, or to one of my many Custom Workspaces. PrPro ships with, and installs several, and I create new ones, for specific tasks. One of these will usually return my "lost" Panel, or Pane.

See if Resetting the Workspace, does it. If not, then print out Paul_LS's article and do exactly what he instructs in the Doc&Settings file. That is what calls up the Styles. As one can add custom Styles, etc. it is possible to have other Styles Libraries. I believe that these will be written to the same folder as the default.prsl file, but with the user's name. I have no Custom Styles, or Styles Libraries in PrE 4, so really have no way to verify that 100%. I could be wrong, and maybe PrE just "adds" these Custom Styles to that default.prsl file - someone with Custom Styles will have to chime in for the exact operation there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking back on Paul_LS's article, the one thing that will be different for you will be in the Path. You should have \7.0\, instead of \3.0\.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                      Belatamas Level 1

Hi Hunt

You are quite right!  I did follow Paul_LS's instruction to the letter

and it did work.  Many, many thanks for your help with all that.  Much

appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom

• 16. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Glad that it worked. Paul_LS has been AWOL lately, but when I bump into him (probably in a nice pub in Mayfair!), I'll pass on your thanks.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                          chcoutreach

I just dealt with this also. Strangely, all I did to correct the issue was right-click in the tex styles window and click "Reset Style List," and all of my text styles reappeared.  Hopefully this resolves the issue for you, and for others with the same issue in the future.