3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 8:46 AM by the_wine_snob

AVCHD SD card workflow issue

Drewsons

I am shooting short AVCHD clips that I move to my computer by moving the SD cards from the camera to a card reader in my computer. After I transfer the clips in APE I would like to return the SD card to the camera without the clips (i.e, a blank formatted card). Now I am returning the card and erasing the clips in the camera. Is there a method of erasing the clips in APE? Or is there a third party application that can file manage in the SD card and erase files?

• 1. Re: AVCHD SD card workflow issue
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried Windoze Explorer?

• 2. Re: AVCHD SD card workflow issue
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, before you get too deeply into the process, make sure that the files on that SD card are true AVCHD and not AVCHD Lite or a proprietary MP4 format (like the Flip camera uses).

If this is something other than a pure, standard AVCHD, you're going to have trouble working with it in Premiere Elements (and a number of other editing programs too).

• 3. Re: AVCHD SD card workflow issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would strongly advise against re-formatting the card outside of either the mfgr-supplied software, or the camera. Most cameras have a re-format function and some are specialized for that particular camera. Use it to do the prep of any card and you will have the ultimate results, plus the card will likely function properly, longer.

I do exactly as you do. I Copy (not Move), as I really do not want any non-mfgr utility touching the file system of my cards. All re-formatting, etc. are done in-camera. It only takes seconds, and is good insurance on workability.

Good luck,

Hunt