7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 2:37 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.

duderii

I have a PDF of my resume that I created in Illustrator. When I open the PDF in Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Reader all of the information is correct. When I open the PDF in Illustrator some of the information is from a previously saved version. Does anyone know why or how this is happening? I am using CS4 Design.

Maybe I should note that if I print to PDF from Acrobat then open that PDF in Illustrator the information is correct. I want to avoid doing this because all the the text gets chopped up in individual letters.

Message was edited by: duderii

• 1. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps you are just not navigating to the correct file when opening in illustrator.

• 2. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
            duderii Level 1

I have downloaded my resume from my web site, it is the only copy on my work computer.

• 3. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
              PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Do you have any hidden layers with old info from old resumé?

• 4. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
                duderii Level 1

No, It's just one big text box with all my information in it.

• 5. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
                  Jesseham Level 4

If you saved the .pdf with "Illustrator editing capabilities" checked, then there is, within the .pdf, essentially a complete .ai file.  It's nutty, I know.  But at any rate, they should be identical... No reason that the pdf should be more up to date than the embedded .ai info.  If they are, try doing a "save-as", which will do a more thorough flushing of older info than a "save"

If you're only the .pdf of your resume for people to snab off a website, there's no need to check that box though.  It'll embiggen your file for no reason.

The other thing is that if you embedded fonts in your pdf, Illustrator can't respect them. It's a licensing thing. If the "information change" you're seeing is a font change, rest easy that it'll look the same in acrobat for you as it will for your potential employer. The fonts will work in acrobat. If you need it to open in Illustrator, you'll have to have the fonts available on the machine you open it on.

• 6. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
                    duderii Level 1

Hey Jesseham, good to see you again. When I created the file with Illy and saved it as a PDF, I believe I saved it with Illustrator editing capabilities enabled. Just in case I needed to update it. Which I do now. When I saved it out originally I did do a "Save As", you have to. When I open the PDF in Illy the fonts are the same, I used Verdana so thats not the issue. Keep the ideas coming guys, this is a head scratcher.

• 7. Re: Information changes when I open a PDF in Illustrator.
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well I do not know why this happen or how to fix it thought I believe there is a way of correcting this but I unfortunatey do not recall the method.

However I can be of some assistance.

Since it is only one text box this may or may not work while retaining the format open the pdf in Illustrator. draw a new text box the same as the one you have and the select all the text  and paste it into the new text frame. The text will not be chopped apart but the formatting might be gone. That is paragraphs line breaks etc.

If that happens you can cut and paste sections a well using the lasso tool and that way you can paste paragraph by paragraph the text and the text wil flow as one text string.

You can create a paragraph style as well to make this easier.

Hope this help or gives you an idea on how to fix this.

Oh, yes one more you can do this copy and pasting with the AI file that has the wrong versions and resaving that with a different name.

This might sound funny but I think that what I just wrote might be part of fixing the the damaged AI file did you try doing a save as with a different name?