9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2009 11:24 PM by Machnumber2

Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch

Machnumber2

Hi,

I have Adobe Premiere Elemetns 7. I would like to be able to select multiple still images on the timeline so that I can timestretch them all at the same time.

I understand that you can do this when you drag the photos over to the sceneline, then get the dialog box that asks for the time duration or transition duration. I would like to do this after they have been placed on the timeline though.

I would like to put say an hour of music on the music line, then drag over say 400 photos, then timestretch the photos such that thier time matches the music timeline. Smartsound does not seem to find the music on my computer to do this, I would like to use my own music.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, if one is using the TimeStretch Effect, they should be able to apply it to one Clip/Still and then use Rt-click>Copy, Select all other Stills, then Rt-click>Paste Attributes. That works for most Effects and for Keyframing. I'll go check it out with TimeStretch, just to make sure that it is one of the Effects that can be applied to multiple Clips/Stills. If not, then I'll see if there is some workaround.

Back in a moment,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, what I was thinking of was Posterize Time, the Effect, which changes the Frame Rate.

It appears that in PrE 4, there is no Time Stretch Effect, and only the Time Stretch Tool. That will only work on the Selected Clip/Still and the changes in the attributes are not Copied/Pasted to other Clips/Stills. In PrPro, there are several Effects that accomplish much the same thing, as the Time Stretch Tool and are Effects. Unless PrE 7 has added those, I cannot find a direct way to apply pure Time Stretch to multiple Clips.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I did find Clip>Time Stretch (Ctrl-R) that allows one to alter the Duration of a Still, but again, it is not an Effect, that can be Copied/Pasted as an Attribute.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt says, Time Stretch is not available for still photos.

Here's a trick that might work.

Output your slideshow (no audio) as a DV-AVI using Share/Personal Computer.

Open a new project and place that on your timeline. Place your music on the Soundtrack below it.

Select the Time Stretch tool on the top of the timeline and drag your video clip out until it's the length you need it to be. This will essentially extend the duration of your slides.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                  Machnumber2 Level 1

Thank you all for providing the answers. Some very good work around ideas, yet because of the limitations of premiere elements they are somewhat cumbersome. I have been using this software for a bit and so far have found it not intuitive at all and not all that useful for the price tag. It seems to be intentionally written in such a way to force the user to do things "their way" instead of making things more intuitive. Somehow I suspect that microsoft has something to do with these problems.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

If changing duration (videos or stills) once they are on the Premiere Elements Timeline is critical to your workflow, then look at Premiere Elements 8 where the feature is available. Also, version 8 can place multiple transitions for media even after the media has been placed on the Timeline. Check it out. In prior versions, duration setting and transition placement was one at a time once the media was on the Timeline.

In the case of your duration, select all (Edit Menu/Select All or lasso the media involved with the Selection Tool to Select All), right click anywhere in the highlight, select Time Stretch, set your duration, click OK. It is done.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                      Machnumber2 Level 1

I just bougth elements 7 2 months ago and now version 8 is out? Do you know if there is a way to upgrade without spending yet another $100+?

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Tonight why don't you download the free 30 tryout of Premiere Elements 8, check out the feature of interest in particular, and determine if it is worth it. Check out it's stability in your computer environment. You do not have to uninstall Premiere Elements 7. When you install Premiere Elements 8, the installation process detects prior versions and tells you that you do not have to uninstall them, just use one at a time.

Depending on how things go, get on the phone to Adobe Customer Service Monday morning and be pleasant but determined, express your need for the new feature(s), and request an exchange, the new for the old. As a last resort, request your money back for version 7.

Please update us on your progress. But, in the back of your mind, keep the old thought of "be careful what you wish for". You may win one with the duration feature but lose some ground with stability and other features.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 - Selecting Multiple Still Images for Time Stretch
                          Machnumber2 Level 1

I think thats a good idea, maybe they will let me use version 8. Version 7 is a bit buggy so I am not that worried about 8. For example right now, I am trying to convert a 1 hour 16 minute video that is in mpeg format over to WMV. No luck, every time no matter what codec I get unkown error or export error I dont remember which. I noticed that when trying to convert to WMV, all the cpu cells in task mager are at 80%, but if I try to convert to adobe flv, only two of the 8 cells are at 80% or so and the others are idle, this would cause the flv to take a very long time to convert, why does it do that. If I switch over to 8 I will keep you posted, thank you for your ideas, they are always welcome.