8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 12:31 PM by jbandy

Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4

jbandy
      We are trying to overlay a tiff file on a timeline in Premiere CS4 to hide a exit sign in a shot and the color between the video and the tiff are not matching up though the tiff was exported from the same video shot. When I apply color correction to the tiff file it is making the video footage match the tiff as opposed to making the tiff file match the video clip. What are we doing wrong? Is there a forum or tutorial anyone can recommend?
      I also tried a bitmap file and had the same problem. I exported the bitmap from Premiere CS4, edited the bitmap in photoshop and even checked to make sure the color was set to RGB. When I brought it back into premiere the bitmap looks darker compared to our video. What's even stranger is again when I apply a color correction effect to the bitmap on video layer 2 it make the video in layer 1 match the bitmap as opposed to making the bitmap match the video. I have to have the bitmap on layer 2 though because I am trying to hide the exit sign on layer 1. What should I try next?
        • 1. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          We are trying to overlay a tiff file on a timeline in Premiere CS4 to hide a exit sign in a shot and the color between the video and the tiff are not matching up though the tiff was exported from the same video shot. When I apply color correction to the tiff file it is making the video footage match the tiff as opposed to making the tiff file match the video clip.

If the Color Correction is acting on the Clip on the lower Video Track, you have applied it to the wrong Clip. It needs to be applied to the Tiff on the higher Video Track. My guess would be that when you used the Eyedropper, you accidently applied the Effect to the wrong Clip.

Now, depending on the lighting, you may have to Keyframe the Color Correction on the Tiff, using changes in the main Clip to set the Color Correction in the Tiff.

If you are sure that this is NOT the case, can you do a sreen-cap of your Timeline, with the CTI over the two Clips, and also the Tiff selected and the Effects Control Panel open with every Effect showing. It might be useful to then do the same, but with the underlying Video Clip selected.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] You have not Linked, or Grouped, these files, have you?

• 2. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I have to have the bitmap on layer 2 though because I am trying to hide the exit sign on layer 1.

Just a pointer. In Photoshop, these would be called Layers. In PrPro, they are "Video Tracks." Now, I go between the two programs, so I knew what you were talking about. Some others migh get lost with "Layers" in PrPro.

And, of course you need the TIFF on Video Track 2 (or higher), and your background Video Clip on Video Track 1. That part is 100% correct.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I had the same thought as Bill.  The only explanation for an effect modifying the wrong clip is that it was applied to the wrong clip.  User error.

• 4. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
                jbandy Level 1

I'm certain that I applied the color correction to the correct clip.  That is what makes this so strange and confusing to me.  I will try to get a screen shot tomorrow to post up next week.

• 5. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I'm certain that I applied the color correction to the correct clip.

The way to check this is to Select that Clip, and look in Effects Control Panel. Is it there? Now, Select the "other" Clip and look in Effects Control Panel. You should NOT see that Effect in it - only in the one that you intended to apply the Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
                    jbandy Level 1

I upgraded my NLE to vista 64 and CS4 and am no longer running into this issue.  I do notice that the bitmaps, tiffs, and targas I export from my projects do not match the video when layered over the top on a higher video layer.  Switching between the 2 I can see that they are different.  I did not have this problem in CS3. what am I doing wrong?

I'm using a 720p 59.94 project.

• 7. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I do notice that the bitmaps, tiffs, and targas I export from my projects do not match the video when layered over the top on a higher video layer.  Switching between the 2 I can see that they are different.

Can you describe the "differences?" Is this color, density or in size?

If it's size, check the PAR for your footage and then for your Bitmaps. Ann Bens noted that in CS4, there could be a PAR mismatch, when the images went through PS. I could not duplicate her issues with my older programs, as the PAR did translate perfectly. Still, if she found a difference, then I think that she has found a disparity. Just change the PAR appropriately.

If it's something else, please let us know what that is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Color Problems Using Bitmaps in CS4
                        jbandy Level 1

It is not the size but the color.  I would descibe the tiff as having more color than the video. It looks a bit more vibrant.