10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 8:53 AM by qaiozrhfqskejnf

    Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?

    qaiozrhfqskejnf

      I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 and I downloaded Photoshop CS4 User Guide because it seems more complete. Apparently there are more features in the version of ACR used in Photoshop CS4 than the one used in PSE 6.

      Is that true?

       

      Nick

        • 1. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
          JimHess-5IFZWq

          Yes, that is true.  Camera Raw has numerous additional features when running under Photoshop, even though it is the very same plug-in.  It is that way by design.

          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
            qaiozrhfqskejnf Level 1

            Thanks for your answer Jim.

            It's unfair sigh...

             

            Nick

            • 3. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

              qaiozrhfqskejnf wrote:

               

              It's unfair sigh...

               

              Not at all. Photoshop Elements is a stripped down, simplified version of Photoshop designed for photo hobbyists and costing $99 list (although you gotta be an idiot to pay list). To expect Camera Raw to be equal in both Photoshop _AND_ Elements is an unreasonable expectation. Ya get what ya pay for and if you've got Elements, you didn't pay for Photoshop.

              • 4. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                qaiozrhfqskejnf Level 1

                I'm afraid it's how life goes

                Thanks for the answers.

                 

                Nick

                • 5. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                  JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

                  Jeff Schewe wrote:

                   

                  qaiozrhfqskejnf wrote:

                   

                  It's unfair sigh...

                   

                  Not at all. Photoshop Elements is a stripped down, simplified version of Photoshop designed for photo hobbyists and costing $99 list (although you gotta be an idiot to pay list). To expect Camera Raw to be equal in both Photoshop _AND_ Elements is an unreasonable expectation. Ya get what ya pay for and if you've got Elements, you didn't pay for Photoshop.

                  Yours is a valid argument when you are on your end of the stick and have all of your equipment and are able to acquire the photographic equipment and software tools that you need or want.  But it is still a disappointment to those on the other end who don't have the financial means or the connections or the understanding of how this all works.  Of course you can always argue that if you can't afford it don't get involved, right?  I suppose that might seem a little arrogant, but it's the way it is.  Not asking for any changes, don't expect any, just stating an opinion.

                  • 6. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

                    JimHess wrote:

                     

                    But it is still a disappointment to those on the other end who don't have the financial means or the connections or the understanding of how this all works.

                     

                     

                    Disappointment always follows on the heels of unreasonable expectations. In point of fact, Elements is quite the "steal" in that it contains the vast majority of what many Photoshop users need at a fraction of the cost. Sure seems like looking the gift horse in the mouth and complaining that the nag's teeth need cleaning.

                    • 7. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                      qaiozrhfqskejnf Level 1

                      JimHess wrote:

                       

                      Yours is a valid argument when you are on your end of the stick and have all of your equipment and are able to acquire the photographic equipment and software tools that you need or want.  But it is still a disappointment to those on the other end who don't have the financial means or the connections or the understanding of how this all works.  Of course you can always argue that if you can't afford it don't get involved, right?  I suppose that might seem a little arrogant, but it's the way it is.  Not asking for any changes, don't expect any, just stating an opinion.

                      As a matter of fact I have been using PSE for many years and it fits my needs.

                      I’m not a creative guy at all. I basically want to make my photos look like what I saw when I shot them. I use mainly the crop and distortion tools, the Enhance menu tools and occasionally layers.

                      But I never use filters.

                      Therefore PS CS4 offers stuff I would never use. But I would use the tools of CR in PS CS4.

                       

                      Nick

                      • 8. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                        qaiozrhfqskejnf Level 1

                        Jeff Schewe wrote:

                         

                        Disappointment always follows on the heels of unreasonable expectations. In point of fact, Elements is quite the "steal" in that it contains the vast majority of what many Photoshop users need at a fraction of the cost. Sure seems like looking the gift horse in the mouth and complaining that the nag's teeth need cleaning.

                        I had no expectations. I couldn’t imagine one product called Camera Raw 5.4 had two versions. In the Help files for PSE the “Camera Raw” sections are rather confusing and miss several things. The PS CS4 Help files are more specific. I never read that there were 2 different versions. But don’t misunderstand me: it’s only natural the features in PSE are elementary compared to those in PS

                         

                        Nick

                        • 9. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

                          qaiozrhfqskejnf wrote:

                           

                           

                          As a matter of fact I have been using PSE for many years and it fits my needs.

                          I’m not a creative guy at all. I basically want to make my photos look like what I saw when I shot them. I use mainly the crop and distortion tools, the Enhance menu tools and occasionally layers.

                          But I never use filters.

                          Therefore PS CS4 offers stuff I would never use. But I would use the tools of CR in PS CS4.

                           

                          Nick

                           

                           

                          You write as though filters are only used to noticeably change the appearance of a photograph.  You probably already know this, but there are filters in Photoshop for sharpening your images, reducing noise, etc. that can be used to help improve that "natural" look.  Just because you don't use filters is not an excuse by itself for not moving to Photoshop.  I don't use all the features in Photoshop, either.  I have been using the program for years, since version 4.  But I still consider myself a novice.  Having said that, I would never want to be limited by the feature set offered in Photoshop Elements.  I guess we all have our reasons and excuses.

                          • 10. Re: Different versions of ACR in PS CS4 and in PSE?
                            xbytor2 Level 4
                            it’s only natural the features in PSE are elementary compared to those in PS

                             

                            Yes. And not having a whole lot of higher-end features in CR for PSE means (hopefully) lower technical support costs for Adobe. Though I'm not sure if anybody actually figured that bit in to the equation.