9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 9:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio problem

guyman20 Level 1

Hello
      I'm using Premiere CS4.
      I have a Mpeg (vob that i just changed the "vob" to "mpeg") video.
      The video is ok and doesn't have any problems.
      But when I'm importing a song, it works ok if i don't close the project, but if i do (save it and then close) - When i open the project again, the audio isn't playing - it's like an empty file, and i have to import it again. It's happening every time.. Also,when i tried to export the movie, it was without that song..

Help!
      Thank you
      Guy

• 1. Re: Audio problem
          Harm Millaard Level 7

AC3? If so, demux and convert to WAV.

• 2. Re: Audio problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of Harm's comments, the general Audio in MPEG-2 files can be problematic. His advice applies in more than just this case.

PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit will not cause such issues, if converted correctly.

For your situation, I rip the AC3 (probably your case, as Harm points out) from the MPEG-2 with Adobe Audition, and then Export the proper WAV file. If the AC3 is DD 5.1 SS, I do the same, except that I Export the six discrete WAV files, and Import those into PrPro for either a mix-down to stereo, or to a DD 5.1 SS AC3 file with the SurCode encoder (optional at extra cost).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio problem
              guyman20 Level 1

but i'm talking about an mp3 song that i added , not from the vid! lol

• 4. Re: Audio problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, I think that we both missed that.

Still, the answer is the same. Convert that MP3 to PCM/WAV outside of PrPro. Again, I would use Audition, but Soundbooth, or the freeware Audio editor, Audacity, can do this for you.

My policy on MP3's is to only use that format with tiny SFX files and no where else.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Audio problem
                  guyman20 Level 1

um i didn't tell you that - but i have another project , similiar to this one, also with an MP3 , but its 100% ok there..

i tried to do a new project but this didn't work ..

also - if I use that same mp3 on another movie in a new project, it also works fine..

weird huh?

• 6. Re: Audio problem
                    Dag Norum Level 2

also - if I use that same mp3 on another movie in a new project, it also works fine..

weird huh?

I agree, it's weird.

But mp3, supported by PPro by listing of supported media, is probably meant to be decent mp3's, made using a legit copy of the Frauenhofer mp3 codec.

mp3 can be made using a lot of "fake" mp3 generators, but I have never had a problem with mp3 sound coming from a decent generator.

mp3's from "whatever generator" can probably make unstable results, like work one time, but not work another time.

Dag

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Audio problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It seems that some MP3's work, and some just do not. Part of the problem can be with embedded things like album art, and other detritus.

Dag's comments point up other potential problems and likely explain why some (even without album art and the like) do not work.

Because of the hit-or-miss nature, I keep them far from PrPro and farther still from Encore. Just my policy and it has worked 100% - MP3 = convert.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio problem
                        guyman20 Level 1

yeahhh

it worked! now it's a WAV file and its working fine!

thank you all!

• 9. Re: Audio problem
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting what worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt