25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 8:00 PM by drstudio

"codec missing or unavailable"

drstudio Level 1

Hello, I'm starting Lesson 1 in Classroom In A Book and when I navigate to the clip "boss on phone.avi" I'm getting the error "codec missing or unavailable."  Not a great first impression.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  The clip plays in VLC and I get audio only in Quicktime.  The lesson and the clip were copied from the Classroom In A Book DVD.

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The avi's are regular dv-avi type 2 so they should play without any problem.

If you got Premiere installed you also have the right codec installed.

Something is not quite right, but its not the avi.

• 2. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the proper CODEC is missing, or is broken.

I assume that you are referring to the CiaB CS4. Is that correct? I would guess that the AV files are .MOV format, but do not have the latest copy of that series, so I cannot check a DVD, or even run one of the files through G-Spot. G-Spot would be my first stop. What does it tell you about that/those file(s)? It is likely that your system does not have the CODEC needed. That is easy to fix. Google it, download it, install it, and reboot - Done.

If you have Vista, it is likely that MS has just discontinued to include that CODEC (plus others). There is an MS Vista CODEC pack. Now, I am not a fan of CODEC "packs," but this one would be an exception. It is very likely that MS used to provide the necessary CODEC, when Curt wrote the book, but later versions of the OS have omitted it.

Good luck, and please let us know what G-Spot tells you. Should you have any questions about the G-Spot report, someone can help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Are you sure that the content files in the newer CiaB are .AVI's? I thought they had gone over to .MOV files, so they would be X-platform compatible.

I do not have the latest version, so I cannot even check.

Hunt

• 4. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The OP said is was "boss on phone.avi"

• 5. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Thanks. Yes, I see that now. The high-rez monitor (tiny fonts) and my tired old eyes, just missed that. So far, no wine yet today.

Even with Vista, it would seem that the MS DV CODEC should be installed, and not need to be done via the Vista CODEC pack.

That also blows my thoughts on X-platform content in the CiaB. There must be Mac-specific versions on the disc.

If that is the case, maybe Dave can check the disc to see if his system can read any Mac content and then use the same .MOV file.

Hunt

• 6. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

At the very least, you are getting a "bonus" lesson - CODEC's 101.

One comment about VLC Player is that it handles the CODEC's a bit differently. Also, there is a difference in a player playing a file and an editing app. being able to use that same file.

I'm curious as to what is going on with your particular file. If you would run it through G-Spot, it should indicate that it is DV-AVI and that you do have the proper CODEC installed. That would point to a bit of a problem with PrPRo.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I am getting a "bonus lesson" in Reading Comprehension and also see the need to contact my opthomologist for an appointment next week...

• 7. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                      drstudio Level 1

Thank you all for the replies, I should add I'm on a mac.  It's sounding then like my system is missing some components, but CS4 Production Premium appeared to install without errors.

I notice the encoding on this clip is "sowt,"  Other clips in the lesson are DV/DVCPRO-NTSC.  Does this reveal anything?

Thanks,

Dave

• 8. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I should add I'm on a mac.

Dave,

Is there not a Mac-specific folder on the disc with the same Assets in .MOV format?

It was my misunderstanding that most of the X-platform CiaB's had gone to .MOV format AV's, as they are more likley to be X-platform, with the installation of the QT Player. I guess that I was mininformed.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS you can ignore G-Spot and also do not run out for that Vista CODEC pack!!!!

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                          drstudio Level 1

Great bonus tutorial, btw, nice complement to the book and definitely more entertaining.

My understanding is on mac you just see the mac files on the dvd and those are the ones I copied.  I may yet have to take this up with adobe tech support, something's clearly not right.  I may try converting to another codec and see where I get.

Thanks,

Dave

• 10. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Another bonus of posting here, is that one of the regular contributors, and a Community Expert, is also the author of the that book. I am certain that he will have a comment on the layout of the disc.

If I had that disc, I'd check it out for you, since my system can also use MacDrive, if it cannot immediately see Mac folders.

My understanding is on mac you just see the mac files on the dvd and those are the ones I copied.

In many cases, I can see that happening. Though I normally can see both PC and Mac content, I had to insatll MacDrive some years back for one special Mac external. Not long after, I went to install some SmartSound music - the disc ONLY showed Mac content, and the installer would not work in my PC version. Duh! E-mailed SmartSound (especially as all other discs had installed perfectly), and got the reply - "bet you've added MacDrive, since the last time that you installed one of our disks." Yes, that was it. With MacDrive loaded, my PC would only see the Mac-only files and file structure. All PC files and folders were hidden. I just took MacDrive out of my Startup, and all of a sudden, I could see it all.

Now, I'm not a Mac-guy (though many of my clients are), so I do not know about the installation of the MS DV CODEC on a Mac. Someone else will have to direct you there. Still, Curt should be around and will likely give you all the info needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

drstudio wrote:

Great bonus tutorial, btw, nice complement to the book and definitely more entertaining.

My understanding is on mac you just see the mac files on the dvd and those are the ones I copied.  I may yet have to take this up with adobe tech support, something's clearly not right.  I may try converting to another codec and see where I get.

Thanks,

Dave

Im ther author of the Pr CS3 andb CS4 CIB.   The files / tutorials on the included DVD were all tested on both platforms.   MAC users should have no problems using all the assets.  Copy the entire contents as instructed in the CIB.

If for some reason you cant read a file, let me know the specifics.   Are you running the trial or the retail version?

• 12. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                drstudio Level 1

Hi Curt, thanks for taking an interest in this, it's great to be speaking with the author. 

This is the full fledged licensed/registered Production Premium suite CS4.  I've copied all the lessons to my media drive.  When I got the error with the boss on phone.avi I dropped the clips into Expression Media to see what it says about them and the problem files have the "sowt" encoding.  I tried playing the clips directly in Quicktime to troubleshoot and that produces the message some components are missing and I'm directed to the Apple Quicktime plug-in page but there's no hint provided as to which plugin is needed.

I run a 2009 macpro and keep everything up to date, installing all the updates, OSX 10.5.8.  Quicktime 7.6.2.  The Quicktime library contains AC3MovieImport, AppleIntermediateCodec, AppleMPEG2Codec, Perian, SoundboothScoreCodec, Xvid_Codec.  Seems to me there must be something else needed for sowt encoding but I have no idea what, and why it's not there in the first place.

I've also imported the clips successfully into iMovie it seems able to work them fine and as I mentioned earlier VLC plays them.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can tell you that may be helpful, Curt.

Thanks,

Dave

• 13. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Thanks for the detailed response.

Im not a MAC expet, so I need to make some phone calls.   Since we tested the DVDs on mac and pc (out of the box as far as I know) , I m confident it will work, but there is some missing peice somewhere.

• 14. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

I checked with an Adobe engineer.   If quicktime wont play the files, then Pr wont.   So, remove Pr from the equation, if you can get QT to play the files, PR will also.

They are standard DV files, which QT should be able to play.  Some comments from an engineer:

• First, log out and log back into the system as a different user (Root account user would be best). Once logged in as the new user, try playing the file in QT again. If it works, then it’s just a corrupted QT pref of some sort. Once logged in under his regular account, he can drag all the prefs out onto the desktop and test the file in QT again.
                                    • The second thing to try is to just reinstall QT over the top of itself again. I hold out the least amount of hope for this because QT isn’t very good about checking to see if its own files are valid and will sometimes just skip reinstalling them if they see they’re already there. Beyond that, check to see if DV compressed MOV files will play in QT. My guess is no. In either event, he should call Apple and have them help him get the problem resolved. They’ll probably do something overkill like make him reinstall his OS, but maybe I shouldn’t be so pessimistic.
                                    • 15. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                      drstudio Level 1

Thanks Curt, same issue with a new user account.  .MOV files play fine.  I re-installed QT earlier, I'm not going to pursue this further as my captures work fine, I'll just substitute where needed in your exercises.  Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Dave

• 16. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                        drstudio Level 1

Hi Curt, I converted all the unimportable clips to DV/DVCPRO-NTSC in iMovie and we're good to go.  Some of the supplied clips are already in that format.  It seems curious to me that they're not consistent.

Bottom line I can now run your lessons as you intended.  With all the time I've spent mucking about maybe I can even flip ahead a few chapters. 

Cheers,

Dave

• 17. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Interesting.   Can you give me one example of a clip that wouldnt play and one example of one that would (by file name)?  Id like to know why this is happening.

I just had a guy with a MAC I know try this and all the files worked right off the DVD.   I dont like mysteries!

• 18. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                            drstudio Level 1

In lesson 1 boss at his desk plays, as does boss-2 and boss-3.  Boss on phone and car through fog don't.  Maybe the fact they're encoded differently doesn't matter, I don't know, but it seems odd to me unless that's the point of the lesson.  I'm too new to this to know at this point.

Dave

• 19. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Thanks.   Ill see what the difference is.

FYI;  all the original media for the CIB was shot in HD P2 format.    But since a large share of CIB customers still use SD/ DV, adobe wanted most of the lessons converted to DV.   So, I converted all the clips from P2 to DV; and I thought I used the same workflow to convert them all.  Perhaps not.   Thanks for providing all the info, as Im unable to duplicate the problem here.

• 20. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                drstudio Level 1

Whoa I just grabbed a macbook pro and loaded it up and find not only do the files import but the encoding on the example files are now consistent. What on earth is causing the macpro to see things so differently?  I do have an issue here and it's pretty certain it's not yours.  Sorry to be such a pain. No avoiding that tech support call to Apple apparently.  Thanks for your patience Curt.

Dave

• 21. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you wouldnt mind; please let me know the result.  It may be helpful to others.  I'll PM you my personal email.

Curt

• 22. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                    drstudio Level 1

The problem was the Xvid component in the QT library.  Once removed the clips are recognized and will import.  It's not a native component of QT but it's available on the QT plug-in page.  But it really shouldn't be there imo it really screws things up!  Can't believe the time wasted (mine and yours) over this.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave

• 23. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

Thanks for the followup.  XVid codecs has been the source of problems in the PC world also from time to time; so Im not surprised

• 24. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                        joelgerlach Level 1

Hey, I'm going through the same problem (but with rendered After Effects .avi files and not the movie files from the CD)  How did you remove the Xvid components from QT?  I have Perian and a Divx and a couple other codecs installed.  Just like you, QT would not read the files but VLC would.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

~Joel

• 25. Re: "codec missing or unavailable"
                                                          drstudio Level 1

The codecs are usually in the Quicktime folders in the Libraries.  Probably not your user library, but in either the one in the System folder or the other main one (I'm sure there's a term for it but I don't know it.)

Dave