9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 1:14 PM by sofreeproductions

Render Engine Slow... Please help?

eostv

Here is our setup...  Two Machine, both are brand new and exactly the same I7, 12gb ram, quads, three hd's in each all 1TB.  Machine 1 has the full CS4 suite with all updates and plugins... Machine 2 has the After Effects CS4 Render Engine all updates and plugins.  Mem/Multiproces setings are the same on both. Machine 1 renders a particular clip in 12 mins  Machine 2 renders the same clip in 43 mins!!!!!  This is unusable in our production setting having to wait 43 min for a 18sec clip.  I have contacted Adobe by phone... used up our help tickets and they have not helped us!!!!!!  Please help.  I can be reached at sam@eostv.net

• 1. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
          yenaphe Level 4

What is the network connection between the 2 computers ? Where are stored your files ?

Looks like your Machine 1 is working on a local hdd, and Machine 2 struggules to get access via the network, thus slowering the process. I suspect file access is the culprit here.

• 2. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
            eostv Level 1
            Our configuration is as follows:
            • Workstation Machine - i7 Processor - Vista 64 - 12 GB RAM - 2TB SATA RAID - 1TB Scratch Drive
            • Render Engine Machine - is an exact clone of the above except it has 2 individual RAIDs
            • All resource files reside on the Render Engine Machine
            • Machines are directly linked to one another via 1000 base T
            The thing is, the Workstation Machine has to access all assets for a project across the 1000 Base-T and renders a test project in 12 minutes. While the Render Engine Machine which has the assets physically in it is taking 42 minutes to render the exact same test project.
            This would rule out the Network bottle neck as the culprit no?
            Thank you for your help.
            • 3. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
              yenaphe Level 4

Can you launch a render on your both machine. In the render queue, while rendering you can twirl down a little carat that shows the status of the current frame rendering.

Try to see if it's a specific step that is slower on your slowy pc that the other, or if it's an overall slow down. If it's the writing step that is taking much more time on one PC than another, it will clearly gives us a hint on where to look.

• 4. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do you use multiprocessing on the work machine? If so, it would well explain the difference. When called through teh command line, AErender does not initialize multiple instances, so performance is never maxed out. This should however not be true for the watch folder method.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
                  sofreeproductions

We dont use multi machine render...  What we do is send the project over to the second machine to render so i can keep working on the main machine (at least that is the goal) Keep in mind that the assets are already on the second machine so none of the files are even being accessed over the network!

• 6. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
                    sofreeproductions Level 1

Sorry i logged in under my personal account... eostv & sofreeproductions are the same

• 7. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?

Important note:  The second machine that is doing the rendering is using the "After Effects Render Engine" and not the whole CS4 suite... Could that be causing slow render? Is the "Render Engine" not as good as AE as a whole?

• 8. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                        > Keep in mind that the assets are already on the second machine so none of the files are even being accessed over the network!

Are you reading the footage files and writing the output files to the same disk? That is a huge time waster in some cases---even worse than reading over a network sometimes.

• 9. Re: Render Engine Slow... Please help?

I tried three separate tests to rule out that possibility,,

Test one- writing to a different drive on the same machine -result- 43 min

Test two - writing to same drive as assets are located -result- 43 min

Test three - writing to different machine across the network - result- 43 min

So that clearly isnt the issue

Thanx for responding... next possibility?