8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 8:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Partial import of vob files

jlittle888

I am having an issue with importing VOB files from some Canon Mini-DVD cameras.  I have 3 cameras, two different models.  When I do an import of the VOB files, I get just the first 5 to 10 seconds of the whole file.  I can import these same files into Elements with no problems, but I'm wanting to switch over to PP because of all of the other abilities.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it is only seeing the first 10 seconds of the VOB files?  I have read through quite a few of the threads here and found one that was doing a "copy" of all of the VOB files into one VOB file.  I tried that, and it to only brings in 10 seconds.

It just seems strange that it works in Elements 7.x, but not in Premiere Pro 4.1.

As an option, if I wanted to export the files out of Elements and put them into PP, what would be the best format / settings to use to maintain the highest possible quality?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

Jon

• 1. Re: Partial import of vob files
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I can import these same files into Elements with no problems, but I'm wanting to switch over to PP

My recommendation would be to upgrade to more professional hardware to compliment the professional software.  Keep using Elements with the consumer cams.

• 2. Re: Partial import of vob files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

First thing to remember is that not all .VOB files are created equal. This ARTICLE might shed some light on some of the issues.

I do not know the structure of your particular .VOB's. If they are pure, then you should be able to just rename the file extension from .VOB to .MPEG, and Import them. Otherwishe, you may want to convert them. If PrE 7 will handle them, then just Export from it as DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. These will Import fine into PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Partial import of vob files
              jlittle888 Level 1

I have to agree with upgrading to better equipment.  I also have a Canon HG20 that does a fantastic job.  I have to use the equipment that the school has for me to use.  But thanks for the advice!

• 4. Re: Partial import of vob files
                jlittle888 Level 1

Hunt,

This seems to work better but not 100%.  I renamed the files to .MPEG and did the import.  The complete video came in, but only about the first 10 seconds of the audio is present.  Weird.  I did the import and let the computer alone while it was doing the conforming and waited until all of that was complete before trying to play the video.

I guess I'll try the exporting out of PE7 and see happens.  I'd give you a partial YES to solving the problem, but since this is footage of the high school marching band, I feel the audio is really important as well! 

Jon

• 5. Re: Partial import of vob files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as "partial Import" in PrPro, I have encountered similar with some Assets converted to DV-AVI Type II. In a batch of similar files from a client, I will convert in batch. Most are perfect. However, and for whatever reason, a few might show up in PrPro with bad Durations. For those, I run them through PrE 4, and Export to the same exact format. These new files Import into PrPro perfectly, with the correct Duration. G-Spot sees absolutely nothing different between what I Imported into PrE and what I Exported from PrE. Still, there is something that PrPro does not like. Go figure. When this happens to me, I know that one more step will be required, but that one step has been correct 100% of the time. That is why I have both PrE and PrPro on the laptop. For me, PrE is but a tool.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Partial import of vob files
                    jlittle888 Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

You have given me different options to try.  I have to agree, PE7 will become just a tool, but it does seem odd that it can do some things that PPro can't.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Jon

• 7. Re: Partial import of vob files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, after four log-ins, I finally get to post, or so I think. Man, I love "jive-software!" NOT!

OK, where was I?

Glad that you have a workaround. Though my conversion software is almost 100%, there are those times. Why PrE can do it correctly, and PrPro cannot is a mystery. I have done all that I can think of to find the difference, but just cannot see it. Gotta' be there someplace.

As for PrE handling Assets, that do not work on PrPro, it is a consumer program, and is probably more lenient, than is PrPro. Afterall, it could Import from VOB two generations before PrPro could, though there were still some issues, but these were due to the formation of the VOB's and what they contained. A badly formed VOB still give either program fits.

Good luck, and we'll both just use PrE, when necessary.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Partial import of vob files
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to use the equipment that the school has for me to use.

Well, then the second half would apply.  Keep using Elements.